*** Scenario of the Month: December 2013 - Pairings
12-19-2013, 11:04 PM,
RE: Scenario of the Month: December - Pairings
" DB_Zero - meerkat "

Email sent to opponent waiting for 1st turn
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 09:50 AM,
BG-I sent turn 002 on 12/15 and haven't received turn 3. Is game still on?
01-14-2014, 01:19 AM,
Barre - Expecting_at_crossroad game finished. German total victory. Scenario voted.
01-20-2014, 12:44 AM,
- German Minor Victory -
This was a slugfest...Germans took the town early Americans bravely fought to retake town. Yank tanks took their toll on german infantry squads. However, German position and MG fire saved the day.Unexpectedly, game was prolonged by 12 minutes of intense overtime....Not sure if anyone else faced that?
01-20-2014, 11:08 PM,
(01-20-2014, 12:44 AM)meerkat Wrote: - German Minor Victory -
This was a slugfest...Germans took the town early Americans bravely fought to retake town.
Unexpectedly, game was prolonged by 12 minutes of intense overtime....Not sure if anyone else faced that?

Well done. Oh man variable time ending - I hate that. Our game has at least some similarities in that the Germans have the town and the Americans will have to take it back. Going to be interesting.
02-23-2014, 10:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-23-2014, 10:01 AM by miller41.)
Mad Mike and I have just finished this one and it was a slugfest. I took heavy losses every inch of the way, lost a tank to bogging and another immobilized, but managed to take the objectives. Germans won a minor victory but with casualties like these it hardly seemed like one. Good scenario though and Mad mike was a very good opponent. Our game also went an extra 8 minutes.
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.
02-23-2014, 07:46 PM,
(02-23-2014, 10:01 AM)miller41 Wrote: Mad Mike and I have just finished this one and it was a slugfest. I took heavy losses every inch of the way, lost a tank to bogging and another immobilized, but managed to take the objectives. Germans won a minor victory but with casualties like these it hardly seemed like one. Good scenario though and Mad mike was a very good opponent. Our game also went an extra 8 minutes.

Cheers miller41, I think it was very well played by yourself as well.

*** SPOILERS ***

This is a quite frustrating exercise from the British perspective. You have a Battalion of Infantry to defend a town .. against a Fallschirmjäger company supported by three Pz IV. Sounds do-able, I know.
But the problem ist the state of your troops, which are mostly Green with poor (-1 to -2) leadership and average to low motivation. This means that these troops will break very easily, I swear some of them have been running away as soon as they saw a German shadow.Helmet Rolleyes
So the firepower was there in theory, but I almost never managed to properly bring it to bear on the Germans .. due to troops panicking, running away to the most unsuitable spots and subsequently and consequently getting cut down by the Fallschirmjäger.
Notable exception: A Sniper section which claimed 10 kills, quite impressive. But then again, those were one of the few Regulars in the bunch of Cannon fodder.

But still, very interesting scenario, if only to show how these factors (experience, morale, leadership) can influence such a battle that the odds can even become reversed.
02-27-2014, 10:32 AM,
Weasel vs. BBrus game has ended, victory for the allies. It felt like my Shermans were a bit overpowered against PzIVs, especially with the razors to go through bocage. Good game, long probing and positioning and then a fierce firefight to kick the Germans out of the town.
03-04-2014, 03:27 AM,
Just finished my game with Jobu88. Wow I had no idea I was doing so well. Things started off very shaky since Jobu88 beat me to the objective which is never good in a Meeting engagement. Then he managed to get the first tank - how was I going to make any headway like that? I managed to even up the tank losses and then he got another one. Some how I managed to secure the bocage line near the village and end up in a fire fight with his infantry. The forest on my right kept his tanks away from being directly able to get my infantry and I managed to come back from the tank deficit and slowly start picking his tanks off.

An MG in the house facing my bocage line held my guys at bay for sure but two bazooka teams managed to bag a tank each and my remaining Shermans each got one. Once his tanks were dealt with I was able to push onto the objective. I was trying to figure out how to get guns on the parts of the objective that were still occupied and flank his positions on my right when my opponent surrendered.

Like I said I was surprised at the kind of shape his guys were actually in since they had been putting up stiff resistance.

Thanks for the game Jobu88 you were a tough nut to crack.
03-04-2014, 04:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 04:44 AM by Jobu88.)
Your opening turn mortar barrage caught a bunch of my boys running in the open to get into town, with predictable unpleasant results; but even so I thought I was in pretty good shape after I got to town and got into a bunch of buildings. But after that it all went downhill as one panzer after another went up in flames. And it seemed like I had very constrained LOS from all the buildings I had occupied. By the end there most of my troops were too rattled to do anything except hide.

A very enjoyable scenario, well balanced and fun from either side.

"A bad plan is still better than no plan at all." -- Mikhail Tal

[Image: pzV.jpg]