• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Husky Sicily 43 - Learning Day by Day
10-31-2013, 03:11 PM,
Operation Husky Sicily 43 - Learning Day by Day
Welcome to Sicily Folks!

This'll be my first AAR on the Blitz as well as the first actual Campaign to play from start till finish. As the title implies I think this'll really sum up to be a learning experience more than anything for myself and hopefully future players who are just breaking into the series.

We'll be taking a look at the second campaign variant with the passive Herman Goring Panzer Div. My thoughts my choice of campaign variant lies behind the assumption that a passive HG div. will make a easier game start though a harder game in the end.

0709_01s alt: Operation Husky (Passive HG Div)

Operation HUSKY, Sicily, late in the evening of July 9th 1943: In the development of the main historical campaign scenario, one central question recurred. That was, "Should the AI play the historic role and vigorously attack the US beachhead at Gela with the Herman Goering Division, or should it remain passive and defend, trying to contain the invasion?" The main campaign scenario sticks close to history, but this slightly modified scenario allows you to explore the other possibility. In this scenario the AI will not attack the beachhead, and the division is spread out more, in order to assist the AI in containing the US invasion. Be aware, though, that the AI does have a mind of its own and may change these orders at will. [Size large]

Anyhow our campaign will start on T11 seeing as how the idea of writing a AAR never occurred to me till then. The following will be a few maps of the landing zones.

[Image: H6Pwflm.jpg]

US Landings

Day One Overview

Overall objectives for this day were to secure the towns and cityscapes that are lying around aswell as to open up the roads.

The ports need to be rid of their defenders so that our troops can be connected to those high supply value points and the road provide crucial mobility. After playing through all the smaller scenarios, I've found that any advance in Sicily will have to be dictated by the road network. At points in the mountains, units slug through at a pace of 2 or 3 hexes/km per turn even in travel mode!

Troops stormed the beaches from the first crack of light to last, first infantry and mine clearers followed by a few tanks and eventually artillery and command units.

The first day was a slow day. The majority of the infantry arriving are disrupted as they hit the beaches, the Italians were eager to give their improved positions but trudging through the forests south of Gela and the Obstacles and Mines around Gela and Licata really drain the limited around of MP our units have.

T11
Licata
[Image: nGK0rNo.png]
Large amount of Obstacles low amount of defenders were present during the day. Most of which are cleared now. Our troops are starting to assemble to push inland.

Gela

[Image: ZJhhsDV.jpg]

At first the going was slow but steady. No sign of any counter attack, Italian or German. But then

[Image: H8v4PK1.png]

Tanks are found by rangers pushing forward. Siege of the bunker present with effects added for fun.

UK landings
[Image: SbOPS5I.png]

Again landing operations were slow and the initial opening moves were a little sluggish. Mostly due to my management of units. In general we find a moderate case of the US landings. Lots of mines and o's mixed with some coastal defender coys. My main problem here will be to screen for those coastal units that may get left behind my lines and rationing off the roads so our troops can move with only minor congestion.
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2014, 09:38 AM,
RE: Operation Husky Sicily 43 - Learning Day by Day
(10-31-2013, 03:11 PM)Pewpewchewchew Wrote: Welcome to Sicily Folks!

This'll be my first AAR on the Blitz as well as the first actual Campaign to play from start till finish. As the title implies I think this'll really sum up to be a learning experience more than anything for myself and hopefully future players who are just breaking into the series.

We'll be taking a look at the second campaign variant with the passive Herman Goring Panzer Div. My thoughts my choice of campaign variant lies behind the assumption that a passive HG div. will make a easier game start though a harder game in the end.

0709_01s alt: Operation Husky (Passive HG Div)

Operation HUSKY, Sicily, late in the evening of July 9th 1943: In the development of the main historical campaign scenario, one central question recurred. That was, "Should the AI play the historic role and vigorously attack the US beachhead at Gela with the Herman Goering Division, or should it remain passive and defend, trying to contain the invasion?" The main campaign scenario sticks close to history, but this slightly modified scenario allows you to explore the other possibility. In this scenario the AI will not attack the beachhead, and the division is spread out more, in order to assist the AI in containing the US invasion. Be aware, though, that the AI does have a mind of its own and may change these orders at will. [Size large]

Anyhow our campaign will start on T11 seeing as how the idea of writing a AAR never occurred to me till then. The following will be a few maps of the landing zones.

[Image: H6Pwflm.jpg]

US Landings

Day One Overview

Overall objectives for this day were to secure the towns and cityscapes that are lying around aswell as to open up the roads.

The ports need to be rid of their defenders so that our troops can be connected to those high supply value points and the road provide crucial mobility. After playing through all the smaller scenarios, I've found that any advance in Sicily will have to be dictated by the road network. At points in the mountains, units slug through at a pace of 2 or 3 hexes/km per turn even in travel mode!

Troops stormed the beaches from the first crack of light to last, first infantry and mine clearers followed by a few tanks and eventually artillery and command units.

The first day was a slow day. The majority of the infantry arriving are disrupted as they hit the beaches, the Italians were eager to give their improved positions but trudging through the forests south of Gela and the Obstacles and Mines around Gela and Licata really drain the limited around of MP our units have.

T11
Licata
[Image: nGK0rNo.png]
Large amount of Obstacles low amount of defenders were present during the day. Most of which are cleared now. Our troops are starting to assemble to push inland.

Gela

[Image: ZJhhsDV.jpg]

At first the going was slow but steady. No sign of any counter attack, Italian or German. But then

[Image: H8v4PK1.png]

Tanks are found by rangers pushing forward. Siege of the bunker present with effects added for fun.

UK landings
[Image: SbOPS5I.png]

Again landing operations were slow and the initial opening moves were a little sluggish. Mostly due to my management of units. In general we find a moderate case of the US landings. Lots of mines and o's mixed with some coastal defender coys. My main problem here will be to screen for those coastal units that may get left behind my lines and rationing off the roads so our troops can move with only minor congestion.

When will you have the next instalment? I am looking forward to it!
03-02-2014, 01:31 PM,
RE: Operation Husky Sicily 43 - Learning Day by Day
Sadly not for quite some time. I've found that Sicily is just too big for me to manage!