• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The only tank the Germans had...according to books
10-28-2013, 06:07 AM,
The only tank the Germans had...according to books
I am sure we have all read books where the allied author states that "we were faced by several tigers" but I am re-reading a book "Tank Rider" and according to the author no matter what tank they faced it was a tiger. In one incident "we were faced by 13 tigers" and another "several tigers drove up to the woods". I believe that the author faced over 100 tigers so far and I am only 70% done with the book.

It really is true that to the allied soldier every German tank was a tiger isn't it.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2013, 08:26 AM,
RE: The only tank the Germans had...according to books
And every shell was fired by an 88.
[Image: exercise.png]
10-29-2013, 06:45 AM,
Yes, that too. Perhaps if the Germans had concentrated on only 88s and Tigers things may have been different. Logistics wise it would have been fantastic.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
10-30-2013, 01:26 AM,
The three book set about the 101st AB for Normandy, Holland and Bastogne by Koskimaki is the same way.
10-30-2013, 02:18 AM,
(10-30-2013, 01:26 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: The three book set about the 101st AB for Normandy, Holland and Bastogne by Koskimaki is the same way.

Did you read the three part book series by Donald Burgette, excellent stuff. I will have to look for the other.
11-04-2013, 10:51 PM,
(10-28-2013, 06:07 AM)Weasel Wrote: I am sure we have all read books where the allied author states that "we were faced by several tigers" but I am re-reading a book "Tank Rider" and according to the author no matter what tank they faced it was a tiger. In one incident "we were faced by 13 tigers" and another "several tigers drove up to the woods". I believe that the author faced over 100 tigers so far and I am only 70% done with the book.

It really is true that to the allied soldier every German tank was a tiger isn't it.

I read that the allied (often?) confused a Panzer IV with a Tiger. Maybe that’s one of the reasons and I think that eyewitness reports need always a critical view Helmet Smile
11-15-2013, 11:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2013, 11:28 PM by -72-.)
Fwiw, Burgette had 4 books (although I have only read Currahee so far).

Also along those lines, there was a book written during the war - I forgot the exact title, but it was about the Battle of Coral Sea (and had been republished by Bantam in the late 70's), and the author was seeing Me-109's everywhere.

It must have been a similar sort of thing ... when under severe threat you fall back to whatever fits -after all there is a big difference in being shot at by something as opposed to sifting through model boxes at the local hobby shop I guess.
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-16-2013, 10:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2013, 10:57 AM by Weasel.)
I own the first three: Currahee, Road to Arnhem and Seven roads to hell, they are all excellent and worth the $.

Well the Japanese did model one of their planes after the HE-100, but not the 109!!

Amazon has the books by Koskimaki!
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM,
(11-04-2013, 10:51 PM)Toblakai Wrote:
(10-28-2013, 06:07 AM)Weasel Wrote: I am sure we have all read books where the allied author states that "we were faced by several tigers" but I am re-reading a book "Tank Rider" and according to the author no matter what tank they faced it was a tiger. In one incident "we were faced by 13 tigers" and another "several tigers drove up to the woods". I believe that the author faced over 100 tigers so far and I am only 70% done with the book.

I read that the allied (often?) confused a Panzer IV with a Tiger. Maybe that’s one of the reasons and I think that eyewitness reports need always a critical view Helmet Smile

To be fair, they do look pretty similar front the front especially when visibility is limited.
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM,
I think being attacked by a tiger is more "glamorous" than saying a stug, plus it is easier to remember. And I remember one tanker saying that when attacked by German tanks they all seemed to be Tigers.