• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Russian "Carrier Killer" Moskva
09-17-2013, 07:42 AM,
Russian "Carrier Killer" Moskva
Recent news reports have entitled one of the Russian ships headed for the Mediterranean as "the carrier killer." Here is a link:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/09/12/...p=obinsite

This is the Russian guided missile cruiser Moskva.

I thought I would ask modern naval warfare afficionados here whether this is hyperbole by the news reports. I had the impression the modern Russian navy had decayed somewhat and wasn't regarded as a threat still to a US carrier battle group.

According to Google, this ship was launched in 1979, which would make it 34 years old - not that old as ships go, although a bit long in the tooth. The relevant armament are 16x SS-N-12 SANDBOX anti-ship missiles.

The SS-N-12 Sandbox entered service in 1973, so it has been around a while, which doesn't tell you much though since so have a lot of still-lethal US armaments.

But I have to think an armament that has been around that long has had plenty of time for its targets to devise countermeasures. I also have to think the Moskva's presence is not going unmarked by any Western submarines plying the Med.

Fascinating though how a ship that has been around this long can still cause a splash.
Quote this message in a reply
09-19-2013, 01:30 PM,
RE: Russian "Carrier Killer" Moskva
Well, speaking from the perspective of a USN officer from '82-'92, Moskva definitely would get our attention. Memory has long since faded, but it seems to me that the profile of the Sandbox could certainly be lethal.

I venture to guess that the days of shadowing are long gone, but perhaps they will be revived.

Steve
10-12-2013, 12:55 AM,
RE: Russian "Carrier Killer" Moskva
This is about the Chinese carrier killer, but it sums it up well.

Who's Afraid of the DF-21D
Quote:The Chinese DF-21D (CSS-5 Mod 4) anti-ship ballistic missile has become the proverbial “boogie man” for a U.S. Navy concerned about China’s evolving Anti Access/Area Denial (A2D) capability. This weapon is indeed an impressive achievement and does present a significant addition to the threat faced by warships at sea. While a major advance in military capability, it is not the first “game changing” weapon system mitigated or countered by the U.S. Navy.

http://www.informationdissemination.net/...f-21d.html
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."