• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Paul Bruffell interview posted at SDC
10-19-2013, 11:22 PM,
Paul Bruffell interview posted at SDC
http://hist-sdc.com/interviews/p_bruffell.php

This one had been delayed being posted to a series of events outside of my control -but I am getting through a small backlog of material - or at least attempting to.
Bydand
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
10-23-2013, 02:22 AM,
RE: Paul Bruffell interview posted at SDC
Thank you for posting the link to the interview.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-23-2013, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 08:15 AM by Compass Rose.)
Thanks for posting Steve. I found Paul's interview very interesting.

In one of Paul's statements he said "If you try to win by beating the rules, you have missed the point of the game..."

Boy, he is so right. Thumbs Up

Paul also said "...it is designed to encourage ancient tactics and benefits those who conduct a battle as would the great generals of ancient times."

I was wondering if there are any screen shot examples or picture diagrams displayed in the AW manuals that offer examples of ancient tactics so players like myself who have zero knowledge of ancient tactics can try to play using them and emulate the great generals of that time?

Thanks
10-23-2013, 08:33 AM,
Several titles back Paul wrote out a piece called 'Chronicles of Lucius' which I still have around and will have to update it for the style I am using on SDC now. There are other copies around I think as well.

I don't know if there is anything more current out there, but I would definitely be interested in adding it to the site.

As it is, I also want to come up with several more questions regarding Paul's latest title to add to the interview -so if I get going I will finalize that this week (the writing of them for Paul...).
Bydand
Send this user an email
10-23-2013, 10:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM by Titus.)
(10-23-2013, 08:15 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Thanks for posting Steve. I found Paul's interview very interesting.

In one of Paul's statements he said "If you try to win by beating the rules, you have missed the point of the game..."

Boy, he is so right. Thumbs Up

Paul also said "...it is designed to encourage ancient tactics and benefits those who conduct a battle as would the great generals of ancient times."

I was wondering if there are any screen shot examples or picture diagrams displayed in the AW manuals that offer examples of ancient tactics so players like myself who have zero knowledge of ancient tactics can try to play using them and emulate the great generals of that time?

Thanks

The Ancient Warfare team published a series of small articles called the 'Chronicles of Lucius' to help beginners get used to the tactics of ancient warfare. I will assemble these articles and attach here as soon as I return from my travels in a few days.
I think the team can do more on this subject particularly on Greek tactics and we will send through to the Blitz one or two additional articles in the next few weeks with screen shots.
10-26-2013, 01:51 PM,
Cool interview. I had trouble learning these games so I gave up. Ancient warfare is my favorite though. I don't know if I just have a poor understanding of the tactics or maybe it was just the engine, probably both. The games are very well designed though, wish they were a little more popular on the Blitz.
11-18-2013, 02:46 AM,
Great articles! Surprised that the series "officially" encompasses warfare from 2000BC-600AD ( I don't think that is referenced anywhere, even on HPS' site) Maybe we'll see Foederate Rome or Belisarius after all :)