• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some beginner questions on attacking and assualting.
10-16-2013, 02:56 AM,
RE: Some beginner questions on attacking and assualting.
Don't over-assault. The defence is rather weak, so send in a battalion at a time. Basically, all that has to happen is the gun to disrupt, and then the hex will fall. No need to push them out of the hex, as once they are all disrupted, they will just die from assaults.

You must be playing with FOW off, so you can see your assault odds...basically, don't go over a 10-1.
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2013, 08:38 AM,
That screenshot was at game's end, I pounded that tile for about five turns with FOV on, and it's withstood everything i could throw at the damn thing. Half the time the attacks resolved with zero zero loses. So my attack of a 1000 men stalled against a position manned by 40 guys without taking losses?
10-16-2013, 08:45 AM,
Maybe Audie Murphy and John Wayne were both among those 40 defenders! Propeller Hat
10-16-2013, 09:19 AM,
Were you playing with th optional assault rule in play? That compared to the normal assault rule can skew things - I must say seeing 0-0 losses in an assault is extremely rare, anyway.

For the attack, assaulting from a higher positin can help, but I have no idea if one was available.

And sometimes you must ignore a positon and strike elsewhere, using your best judgement.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
10-16-2013, 10:00 AM,
Rick,

Your last answer surprised me. I figured that you would have easily dismissed the "issue" by saying that those 40 men who were defending the hex against 1000+ attackers, must have been US Marines! Salute Helmet Wink

Flag
10-16-2013, 11:22 AM,
Nah, if they had been Marines they would have attacked and cleared the area, not sat in the fortifications LOL.
10-18-2013, 01:27 AM,
(10-16-2013, 09:19 AM)Ricky B Wrote: I must say seeing 0-0 losses in an assault is extremely rare, anyway.

Rick

Not with the Alt Assault optional rule on. My observation is it still uncommon but it happens with that OR on much more than with the default assault rule.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
10-23-2013, 07:21 AM,
Just checked earlier, I was playing the alt version of the scenario from Volcanomods(?) I think. They for some reason recommended to keep that alternate assault rule on.
10-23-2013, 09:35 AM,
So I think, as Dog Soldier also suggested, that the Alt Assault rule is the biggest reason the bunker position didn't fall. And it may not be totally unrealistic in the time frame of the scenario played to have one hold out like that, with fairly minimal defenders.

Rick
10-23-2013, 12:38 PM,
Lokk again at your pwepew. Think about the village in Scicly and the fact that it had a bunker position. This mean well fortified stone buildings at the top of a steep slope. A very tough assignment for your attacking troops.

Sir, they don't need to anything but roll rocks down on us!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp