• Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"Elite" vs "Iron"
09-25-2013, 09:42 AM,
"Elite" vs "Iron"
Howdy Y'all,

"Elite" vs. "Iron"

Throwing this out there to see what everybody thinks... Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but it seems to me that Iron adds nothing to an email game but time...

As you cycle through your units between turns the same information regarding enemy positions can be obtained as if you were using the "Elite" level. Whereas using "Elite", it's all there in front of you at the start of your orders phase. If I've understood the manual correctly, this is the only difference between the levels.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, or leave a comment...

Hose
Quote this message in a reply
09-25-2013, 05:35 PM,
RE: "Elite" vs "Iron"
Manual: "this option (Iron) introduces a number of interface limitations”

I found in the manual only two differences between "Elite" and "Iron":
- Friendly units need to be spotted just like enemy units.
- In Iron mode, only HQ units can be assigned to camera groups.

So, "Iron" won’t have any effect to the battle, or?
09-25-2013, 10:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 10:10 PM by A Canadian Cat.)
RE: "Elite" vs "Iron"
(09-25-2013, 09:42 AM)HoseJock Wrote: Iron adds nothing to an email game but time...

That sums up how I feel. Having said that it is no too bad if you spend most of your time looking at the game with nothing selected. I have one regular opponent that really likes Iron for the immersion of watching what each unit is aware of on the battle field. It can give you a sense of how isolated a particular unit is.

I personally just find it takes slightly longer to play a turn. And I occasionally have "where did my tank/squad go" moments when I forget I am in a game set to Iron.

(09-25-2013, 05:35 PM)Toblakai Wrote: So, "Iron" won’t have any effect to the battle, or?

Correct, no effect. In the game your soldiers are always acting like they are in iron mode in the sense that they react to what they see and know. Iron just gives us a way of seeing what they see. So, in one way it could help you to keep better cohesion amongst your units if you pay attention to how aware they are of their platoon mates for example.