• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some areas for possible larger, longer SB scenarios
09-12-2013, 12:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 01:02 PM by Stejones82.)
RE: Some areas for possible larger, longer SB scenarios
Hmmm ...... interesting. Say you as the scenario editor scheduled a truck to arrive on game turn 12 with a 1 man squad and lots of fresh weapons.

Another concept I would like to see employed is the "Commitment of the reserve" approach.

Basically, your assault kicks off and you do all things you need to do to achieve first line objectives. Now some of you experts can correct me if I'm wrong, but WWII era troops were only considered to be effective on close combat for about an hour, right? By that time, if they had not blown through the defense, it was time to bring in the reserve force which would pass through the first units in order to continue the pressure to break the enemy. In game turns - a relief force could be scheduled to arrive on turn 12 or 18. These would be fresh with 100% effective weapons - but up to the player how to bring them in and deploy them. This might be a more effective and realistic way to handle long scenarios. And it might better reflect tactical doctrine which dictated a superiority of at least 3 to 1 (IIRC) in order to go on the attack.

So one might see in AOTR, e.g., two German companies assault one Soviet company. Long about game turn 12-ish, here comes "scheduled" units of one or two more companies to either exploit the gap or push through.

The only problem with this approach is that while great fun for the attacker, the defender would have the proverbially difficult row to hoe.

Steve
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some areas for possible larger, longer SB scenarios - by Stejones82 - 09-12-2013, 12:55 PM