• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Anyone else having trouble with LOS
08-15-2013, 02:12 AM,
Anyone else having trouble with LOS
I have noticed over and over (and over) again that units will see an enemy but not engage him. I had a tiger with LOS to a Sherman but he just sat there staring at him, so I gave him a manual target order and nothing.

Now a Sherman drove between three buildings each with a squad armed with PzFst and they didn't engage. The tank stopped between them all and nothing, so I gave a manual target order and they still didn't engage. The distance from the sqds to the tank was about 13m.

I know others have had problems with FOOs spotting in buildings but this is getting stupid.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
08-15-2013, 02:16 AM,
RE: Anyone else having trouble with LOS
One observation. No panzerfaust will fire if the man holding it is in a building. The only AT weapon that will fire from a dwelling is a PIAT ... because it is air launched. Any weapon with a back flame that results during firing, will not work indoors.

The small arms will fire if the tank is unbuttoned and there is a man to shoot at. I think the small arms will not fire at a tank that is buttoned up.
08-15-2013, 02:20 AM,
Which game did you mean? CMBN/CW,FI,GL?
And what do you mean with "LOS"?
08-15-2013, 02:43 AM,
Just found that out on the BF, so my carefully laid ambushes are useless which makes equipping infantry with AT wpns in a city battle a waste of points. But it still doesn't explain my Tiger admiring the beautiful paint job on the Sherman. I watched and the gunner kept aiming, spotting, aiming, spotting.

LOS = LINE OF SIGHT
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
08-15-2013, 03:08 AM,
With the useless ambushes, I agree with you.
In CM2x, ambushes are quickly detected. Bazzookas, PIATs,Panzerschreck not fire even though they see the enemy.
AT guns need too long to build.
Infantry is totally useless in cities.
Be very quickly destroyed by artillery and tanks.
Generally the infantry in CM2x no longer matters.
Apart from Scouts and light mgs to the enlighten.
You can win every field and city battle only with tanks and artillery.
08-15-2013, 05:34 AM,
In an urban fight with troops ,other than Piat equipped, place your infantry behind and not inside the buildings.
08-15-2013, 06:47 AM,
Which is silly game wise because the buildings provide the best protection against artillery and heavy weapons. So next time I will be buying fox holes to put my AT teams into but in this game I guess I will just get my guys to run out of the buildings into the artillery to try and stop the tanks running through the city.
08-15-2013, 07:10 AM,
You can place your AT team how and where you want to go to a city.
Whether in buildings, trenches and Fox holes.Artillery shredded them all.The tank take care of the rest.
Best combination on the German side: Panther and much artillery of 150 mm.
08-15-2013, 08:07 AM,
Having LOS is not the same as having LOf - Line of Fire. The game keeps track of both separately,so ,in some circumstances, you can have one without the other. On the other hand you have only the LOS tool at your disposal,and i can see why this might be confusing. btw,was the line blue or gray?
Send this user an email
08-16-2013, 01:45 AM,
I strongly suspect, same as raz_atoth, that your tiger does not have LOF to the target. That symptom of the gunner aiming, spotting is a strong indication of that. The way the game works each crewman spots on their own. It is not uncommon for the TC - who usually has the highest vantage point - can see something the gunner cannot fire at.

The solution is to jockey your tanks position such that it improves its vantage point. Perhaps a bit forward on a hill to get higher, perhaps back up an forward slightly to one side to get away from a tree that is blocking. I find that getting down at gun height and turning on trees helps figure out what my guys are going to be able to fire at.

Here is a little video tutorial I put together showing how I check visibility: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6IhU2frfmE

When I say visibility I mean LOF.