• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode?
07-30-2013, 07:47 PM,
RE: 3D Extreme Zoom-Out Mode?
I like others don't use it for much playing but do for planning it's easier to see the lay of the land in 3D I also like it for long range spotting and HQ ranges.

A 2D close up would be interesting and give a more board game counter feel but I think I would still play in 3D most of the time.
Quote this message in a reply
07-30-2013, 09:11 PM,
I switch back between 2D and 3D. If they were the only remaining graphics modes it would be fine by me.
I do not use extreme in either 2 or 3 D.

I'm also not caring much for close in 2D. Sounds like what Tiller did for OpC?
If I want counters I find a counter-like game.

Cheers6

HSL
07-31-2013, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013, 04:46 AM by Kool Kat.)
Hey Robert: Smoke7

I rarely use the 3D Extreme Zoom-Out mode - primarily because the icons are too tiny for these "mature" eyes of mine! Look

I would not miss this mode... if the decision is to remove it from CS.

I play exclusively in "normal" 3D mode.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-31-2013, 09:26 PM,
Having to support so many units over three levels of 3D -- each unit with six different facings no less -- it's a heavy, heavy burden. Just gauging whether players use 3D Extreme Zoom-Out -- seems so -- and how much effort we would save ourselves if we jettison it. At this point, jettisoning 3D Extreme Zoom-out? Seems not.
07-31-2013, 09:38 PM,
I would get rid of both extreme 2 d and 3 d.

HSL
07-31-2013, 11:30 PM,
(07-31-2013, 09:26 PM)berto Wrote: Having to support so many units over three levels of 3D -- each unit with six different facings no less -- it's a heavy, heavy burden. Just gauging whether players use 3D Extreme Zoom-Out -- seems so -- and how much effort we would save ourselves if we jettison it. At this point, jettisoning 3D Extreme Zoom-out? Seems not.

Come to think of it, the units have only one bitmap file, with six facings, but without a different copy for each of the zoom levels. However, for terrain tiles, there needs to be a bitmap file for each one of them.

How does the engine scale the unit bitmap to each zoom level? And can it handle the terrain tiles the same way give a code change of some sort?

I mean, both are bitmaps. The other scales, the other doesn't. Can you get rid of the terrain tile zoom level bitmaps? That would be a bonus wouldn't it?

And if the unit bitmaps do scale, would they support other zoom levels as well: ie. a variable zoom? That would be great... Of course, I do not know anything about the engine, just speculating here...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-01-2013, 04:20 AM,
(07-31-2013, 11:30 PM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(07-31-2013, 09:26 PM)berto Wrote: Having to support so many units over three levels of 3D -- each unit with six different facings no less -- it's a heavy, heavy burden. Just gauging whether players use 3D Extreme Zoom-Out -- seems so -- and how much effort we would save ourselves if we jettison it. At this point, jettisoning 3D Extreme Zoom-out? Seems not.

Come to think of it, the units have only one bitmap file, with six facings, but without a different copy for each of the zoom levels.

Yes, you are right. I don't know how I came to believe that. Brain fart?! Confused
08-01-2013, 04:40 AM,
(08-01-2013, 04:20 AM)berto Wrote: Yes, you are right. I don't know how I came to believe that. Brain fart?! Confused

Well to make up for it there's several sets of bitmaps: early war, late war, desert camo, winter, loaded, ... Jester

But how come the terrain tiles require the three sets of files while the units do not... Confused
Visit us at CSLegion.com
08-01-2013, 08:00 AM,
Good question, Petri!!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
08-01-2013, 08:31 PM,
I find the extreme 3D useful for map building...it gives a good idea of the "feel" of the map. Also for moving formations.
The 2D zoomout is useless.