• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HPS Simulations, 1990-2013
07-24-2013, 04:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-24-2013, 04:31 PM by burroughs.)
RE: HPS Simulations, 1990-2013
Honestly, neither I think that Dog Soldier was trying to threaten the guy with formal retaliation - he was obvioulsy trying to work things out - nor that the initial post was absolutely neutral.

I am one of those meticulous guys who notice that when somebody asks me " Do You really want to take this coat with You? It's warm outside.", he actually puts my right to sovereignty in question.
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2013, 09:35 PM,
(07-22-2013, 02:07 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: Are you asking to have your account here removed?
I can do that if you want.
Dog Soldier

I don't think that statement can be reasonably interpreted as other than a threat to expel. In fact, the language is crystal.

True, DS followed by asking MikeK to explain. But leading with a threat to shut a guy up is not a good way to invite further dialog.

Tim
07-25-2013, 12:03 AM,
I am sorry but it didn't seem to me like the OP wanted dialog. It was a provocative and insensitive statement. On a board with fans of the games and company. DS asked him to clarify.

Gerry
07-25-2013, 12:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 12:18 AM by TJD.)
(07-25-2013, 12:03 AM)GerryM Wrote: I am sorry but it didn't seem to me like the OP wanted dialog. It was a provocative and insensitive statement. On a board with fans of the games and company. DS asked him to clarify.

Gerry

Well, nothing says "provocative and insensitive" like an immediate threat to expel.

Tim
07-25-2013, 05:12 AM,
No, I will not expel some one unless they break the club rules. And such removals are done when the officer staff are in agreement. I do not remove people on a whim.

However, if someone thinks one of the biggest game companies at the blitz in terms of blitz members playing their games is dead, then I will ask as they are obviously leaving if they want their hat.

Nobody is forced to stay at the blitz who thinks the blitz or the games supported here are irrelevant to them. I have had people who have quit the hobby ask to be removed from the blitz. Most just go inactive status.

DaveK's posts over the last few years show he is displeased. I thought this was a plea from him to leave the community.

Bottom line is both JTS and HPS are cottage industries supported by many more volunteers than actual people who share in the financial side of the companies. Even if one or both of the companies go away, something will replace them. The game series they created will go on.

But I see no evidence of any of that happening from my POV in the near future.

People in the boat come and go, but the games just keep paddling on.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM,
(07-24-2013, 09:53 AM)TJD Wrote: Well, I think a lot of people have wondered, with cause, over the last several years whether HPS would survive. While DaveK could easily have phrased his point in a less obnoxious fashion, I don't think his post merits him being called a troll, and neither does it merit DS's threat to expel him from the Blitz.

Tim

The OP's comment did not appear to have any intended effect other than to stir up a hornet's nest, ergo the troll comment.
07-25-2013, 06:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 06:10 PM by burroughs.)
Yes, indeed - perhaps on any other given forums such a follow-up to a discussion would be considered hostile, exaggerated and irrelevant, but shall we not remember that, by the power of the circumstances, it's absolutely justified to expect a high level of belligerence. We are wargamers, eh? Not the catholic school schoolgirls. So what even if Dog Soldier had really meant - subconsciously, of course; he stated his agenda openly - to threaten the guy with his moderator's tools of the trade? He has just brought the battle to him, whoever dares wins. Helmet Wink

Let's fight! Helmet Smile
07-25-2013, 11:16 PM,
(07-25-2013, 06:08 PM)burroughs Wrote: it's absolutely justified to expect a high level of belligerence. We are wargamers, eh? Not the catholic school schoolgirls. So what even if Dog Soldier had really meant - subconsciously, of course; he stated his agenda openly - to threaten the guy with his moderator's tools of the trade? He has just brought the battle to him, whoever dares wins. Helmet Wink

Let's fight! Helmet Smile

I really have no further brief in this matter and, though I thought Dog Soldier's reply was disingenuous, further reply didn't seem useful. But, Burroughs, I gotta tell you, I think yours is the most perfectly asinine statement I've yet read on the Blitz.

It's OK to say that, right? Even if it seems belligerent? Because Burroughs assures me, "it's absolutely justified to expect a high level of belligerence. We are wargamers, eh?"

This has been a fascinating exchange. I've learned so much about you guys. Really.

Tim
07-25-2013, 11:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 11:50 PM by burroughs.)
Asinine - I haven't known the word before, now I 've learnt something new, thank You for that, I can always learn something from people merely fighting them, so to speak. I thought it's a great site because You can meet interesting people without necessity to kill them, paraphrasing the famous lines by Mr. Modine from "Full Metal Jacket" as I happen to have it in the survey here.

In return I'll return the favour and teach You, Mr TJD, two words apparently new to You: irony and sarcasm. In writing they're hard to discern so that is why I deliberately used emoticons which I rarely do in my posts. I gues You didn't get that. It happens. Lack of emotional intelligence so important in human interaction. That is why You fail to understand why others here do not seem moved with Your misinterpretations.
People ofen accuse others of what is typical of themselves and what they are themselves up to - I think it's clearly seen now who is prone to insult and assault others just because of them being different.
... and it's "burroughs", people. Can You read and listen to others sometimes? Burroughs's dead.
Yes, it's fair to say that, our own opinions speak about ourselves mainly. Asinine people see asinine people around. The wise see the wise. Did I just use the word correctly?

Thus I have spoken. Jester
07-26-2013, 12:33 AM,
I sure wish that HPS would open their own forums for their games, instead of having to hunt and peck for different sites all over the internet.