• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help with Smolensk Operational Situation 6
07-22-2013, 07:23 AM,
RE: Help with Smolensk Operational Situation 6
Thanks for the help. However, I never figured this out myself. As the Operational scenarios are supposed to be educational in nature it would be helpful if one could access this lesson information after playing the scenario.

I appreciate you telling me. It helps me appreciate the system more when these things are explained to me. Part of the fun for me.

Gerry

(07-22-2013, 03:16 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: I think the point of the 'tutorial' scenario Smolensk Operational Situation 6 is to demonstrate the that the German infantry divisions are vulnerable even though they begin with level of 'B' quality when operating on their own.

The example in this scenario is a single German infantry division against two Soviet. One of the Soviet divisions is one of the best and equal to the German division.

Expecting the German division to prevail unaided is a bit optimistic. Play it from the Russian side. The German division will be in trouble, especially if commanded by the AI.

Dog Soldier
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2013, 09:51 AM,
Thanks very much for the explanation. I didn't realize the difference between just firing at the enemy and assaulting in terms of the effects on fatigue.

When I understand things like this it really helps me appreciate and enjoy the game more. I am surprised there aren't more newbies asking these questions.

Thanks,

Gerry

(07-22-2013, 03:55 AM)Liebchen Wrote:
(07-17-2013, 08:41 AM)GerryM Wrote:
(07-16-2013, 09:08 AM)Liebchen Wrote: I'm not really familiar with the scenario, but will say that the things that the Germans have going for them are:

a. Mobility
b. Larger units
c. Better morale

Hello:

Can someone explain how the above German advantages should be used in the proper way, especially the Morale one.

Does this mean that the Germans should try and slug it out with the Soviets. Or does it mean they would be better in Assaults than the Soviets?

I know that every little difference matters. I am just trying to learn how to use some of these differences. (I imagine the Mobility advantage allows them to do flanking moves.)

Thanks,

Gerry

Germans can/should slug it out with Soviets where the stakes warrant it. They should always choose their battles, when that's possible.

Better morale means better fire combat as well as better assault odds. But assaults often cause lots of fatigue, whereas shooting only brings fatigue resulting from the (often less effective) Russian defensive fire. So whittle away at the Soviets with your B class units' fire, disrupt as many as you can (because disrupted Soviets can't assault), and then assault disrupted Soviet units that are actually in your way (or are surrounded and liable to surrender en masse).

The larger formations are handy for two things: You can break up a battalion and spread the companies out to hold the flanks, or you can concentrate them into 700-900 man units, very powerful.

German mobility should be used to keep the Soviets guarding their flanks, as you've already discovered.

Final note: One you've mastered the BASIC mechanics, I REALLY recommend that you play humans. As Burroughs pointed out, the AI tends to do some really stupid things and you will either get a false sense of achievement or will get bored/frustrated by the lack of challenge.
07-22-2013, 02:52 PM,
(07-22-2013, 09:51 AM)GerryM Wrote: I am surprised there aren't more newbies asking these questions.

heh, the game has been out for what, 15 years? Not sure how many newbies we should expect at this point.
Helmet Smile
07-22-2013, 05:13 PM,
(07-22-2013, 02:52 PM)76mm Wrote:
(07-22-2013, 09:51 AM)GerryM Wrote: I am surprised there aren't more newbies asking these questions.

heh, the game has been out for what, 15 years? Not sure how many newbies we should expect at this point.
Helmet Smile

Nonetheless, you are all welcome and feel free to ask.
07-22-2013, 08:56 PM,
I'm pretty much a newbie myself, have only been playing these games for a year or two, all vs the AI.

The Smolensk campaign is the best of the lot so far--very interesting, open-ended game play (although I'm playing it head to head against myself because I figured the AI would just be completely overwhelmed with the situation).
07-23-2013, 02:49 PM,
I just wish there was more activity on the board. An awful lot of people seem to read threads but not respond.

I am interested mostly in tactical and strategic discussions. Maybe it would be good if some of the strong players could do some AAR/DARs. Those are always fun to read and educational. (But maybe on something other than campaigns which can be intimidating as they are so huge.). "Really Rumbling on the Mius" is very accessible for noobs.

But as you say, we may have mostly veterans here that already have a good handle on the game.

Take care,

Gerry

(07-22-2013, 02:52 PM)76mm Wrote: heh, the game has been out for what, 15 years? Not sure how many newbies we should expect at this point.
Helmet Smile
07-23-2013, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM by Liebchen.)
Try this, for starters: https://www.theblitz.club/articles/Artic...ries/cid=6

You can also try the search function on the forum, for past discussions. It's not all that rare that an old discussion gets revived for further consideration.

Finally, you can ask your own questions here, now.

As for the activity level, it's summer in the northern hemisphere. That might have something to do with it's being quiet.

So, have you asked anyone for a game, yet? That's the single best way to learn. It may sound like a running gag, but it's really true. And it's more fun than playing the AI, guaranteed.

And the next time a tournament is started, just get on that ride. Not every player is a veteran, although some tourney masters pair people by their statistics. But either way, you'll learn the game and get a feel for your strengths and weaknesses.
07-24-2013, 11:52 AM,
Hello:

I know how much fun PBEM is from playing SQB and ASL this way. Really enjoyed it. I plan on playing TOCs by PBEM but the next four weeks is shot with work and travel. This will also give me more time to learn the basic system by playing the AI (I know it is limited). There is so much to learn. Playing one of the scenarios I realized at the end that Russian artillery had rubbled some village hexes. Never noticed it during the game.

Gerry