• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Cavalry Squadrons??
07-07-2013, 10:52 PM,
Cavalry Squadrons??
Hi Guys,

Since I am fairly new to the BP/CS genre of gaming, I have a question pertaining to the Nappy Series. What is the benefit of converting a larger cavalry into Squadrons? I mean, I know you get more units doing this, but each squadron is now smaller than its parent unit. How does one benefit from this if the infantry units are so much larger than the Cavalry squadrons? As an amateur, it seems to me, that it would behoove a player to keep the Cavalry units as large as possible, so as to be able to charge an infanty unit with the most positive results. Also, does the cavalry unit get a bonus for charging? For example, does it make sense for a cavalry group of say 400 men to charge a 600 man infantry group when in 'Charging' mode

Regards

Mike
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2013, 01:52 PM,
RE: Cavalry Squadrons??
Use them for screening your flanks, or for recon.
07-08-2013, 09:30 PM,
Liebchen is correct in that why do recon with a 600 man cavalry unit when you can cover so much more ground with 4 150 man squadrons. Same with screening your flanks.
If you check the manual you'll find a section about cavalry charging and you will see that you do indeed get a bonus when in "charging" mode. I think it may still vary somewhat between games but it usually ranges from x3 to x5. This leads to another reason to use squadrons. Say you want to charge a 200 man infantry battalion. If you use the entire 600 man cavalry unit it will be disrupted when the melee is over but if you use just 2 of the 150 man squadrons you'll still have great odds and still have 2 fresh 150 man squadrons to look for other opportunities. Also be sure to look in the manual for the part about cavalry against skirmishers. Again it would be a waste to do this with the full unit when a couple of squadrons will do all you need.
07-09-2013, 01:37 PM,
Gentleman

I appreciate your answers thus far, but I guess another question I have is: does it make sense for me to charge an infantry unit, that is in fact larger in size than the Cavalry unit ? KG in your scenario you're pertaining to a 200ish man infantry unit, but in fact, most of the infantry units in this series are much larger th 200 plus men...
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM,
Well just remember the "Charge Bonus". If you've a 500 man cavalry unit and charge then they get the 3x or 5x bonus, what ever it is, and that turns them into something like 1500 or 2500. Makes that 700 man infantry battalion look less intimidating.
07-11-2013, 03:18 AM,
(07-09-2013, 01:37 PM)MikeyV2 Wrote: does it make sense for me to charge an infantry unit, that is in fact larger in size than the Cavalry unit ?

This depends entirely upon the situation, but keep in mind the following:

a. Cavalry is always disrupted after a charge.
b. Where there is one infantry unit, there are likely others who might be able to isolate the disrupted cavalry unit.
c. Cavalry losses cost a lot in points.

So weigh your decisions accordingly.
07-11-2013, 04:08 AM,
If cavalry is positioned behind infantry, look at the Max counter parameter. Breaking the cav down to form multiple units in the same stack can prevent routing friendly infantry from moving over and disordering your cavalry.
07-11-2013, 03:31 PM,
Breaking them down into squadrons also makes it less likely to have your formation disrupted by cannon fire before and during a charge.

You always want to be prepared to follow up a charge with support from other cavalry or infantry, or you may find your charging cavalry alone in the middle of a sea of angry enemy.

It is also very handy to sweep the crews from a line of enemy guns by their flank with a few squadrons, then follow up with infantry to take the guns without a fight.

A single squadron of charging cavalry is usually enough to overrun lone skirmishers or a battery of limbered guns.

A line of hussar squadrons spread out on your flank is usually a good buffer against sudden surprises and breakthroughs, and will allow you time to reinforce.