• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some N 44 questions
07-24-2013, 06:33 AM,
RE: Some N 44 questions
I noticed that imgur compressed the 'ell out of my image, making it somewhat unreadable.

This one should be better:

http://imgur.com/ALUwUVC
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2013, 02:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2013, 02:45 AM by jonnymacbrown.)
(07-24-2013, 06:33 AM)Liquid_Sky Wrote: I noticed that imgur compressed the 'ell out of my image, making it somewhat unreadable.

This one should be better:

http://imgur.com/ALUwUVC

Thanks for taking the time to present this image. Considering that this is c. turn 250 in a 750 turn game, your Normandy position reminded me of the old S & T paper game The Siege of Constantinople but with far less mobility. I'm playing an N 44 scenario now with fluid zones of control and it does seem to open things up a bit, at least in the early stages. From the position you have now, do you believe that an Allied breakthrough/breakout is possible? If you had to do over again, would you and your opponent have opted for fluid zones of control? jonny Helmet Rolleyes
07-28-2013, 04:02 AM,
FWIW, the N44_Alt does use the older, more destructive, hard attack values for tanks -- I later reduced these at the trade off of making ranged fire more effective. I have been working on converting those values for years (off and on) but I hadn't had time to finish it. Maybe this will motivate me to do so, because I can imagine that it will take a few teeth out of the German armor formations around Caen.
Send this user an email
07-30-2013, 08:33 AM,
Hmm...not sure if fluid zocs would matter too much. The british already have fluid zocs with their commandos. They can move from zoc to zoc, and other units can 'follow' them. As well, allied mobility isn't really much of an issue in the beginning, because the storm stops it, and allows the Germans to set a front. If that front is half way down the map, so be it. It's farther from the allied supply centers (the beaches), and out of range of the allied fleet.

Speaking of supply, on this turn the allies have a supply level of 45, while the germans have 70. The supply variation is set at 2% drop 5, and 5% raise 5 for the Allies, as well as a couple other fixed raises/drops. Perhaps they should have a bit more supply.
07-31-2013, 08:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013, 08:49 AM by Volcano Man.)
I am not so sure, I mean historically it was very difficult for the allies to supply all their forces all the time, being the nature of their situation (a bridgehead). I think a lower supply level is necessary to force them to pick and choose their fights -- say attack in one place until they run low on ammo, then attack in another for example. But the actual supply level does depend a on a healthy dose of luck, which I think is historical because of the uncertainties (because of the ups and downs).
Send this user an email