• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Random chatter...
05-21-2013, 10:30 AM,
RE: Random chatter...
At times, success is very scenario dependent... I need the tools to lay the can'o woop-ass... Some scenarios offer those tools, others don't...

It also helps to play a scenario that I'm fairly familiar with... I learned Vistula the hard way by getting torched... Also, this scenario can doom the Russian player if the reinforcements are excessively delayed... In this case, though delayed, they weren't fatally delayed...

Pax is a relatively new player making the rookie mistakes... However, I can definitely see he is going to be a good player with more experience... He's making solid tactical decisions and seems to understand maneuver...

For Kursk, the Russians don't have the tools early to do much more than get pounded... it will take time to shape the battlefield... but we'll get there... unless all those Tigers and Panthers roll over the top of us... which is entirely possible... This is one massive scenario and definitely a tough haul for the Russians... Especially early on...

We shall see how it works out... Organ
Quote this message in a reply
05-21-2013, 02:02 PM,
Here you go Jim.

[Image: whoopass.jpg]
05-21-2013, 03:30 PM,
We shall try to roll over Russians at kursk, but with EA on, allied infantry in trenches and high Assault factor SMG's among them it will not be easy task to do it quick
05-22-2013, 09:39 AM,
Nort,

LOL... Nice...

Pawel...

don, don, DAAAAAAA!!! TIGERs step onto the stage at Kursk... Tank6

Russian Infantry scratch their heads... Not sure this is going to work out too well.. Roman

Jim
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM,
In the East, Pawel is giving me fits as my Death's Head moves forward...

As I move across the open plan, his T34/85's snipe at my infantry incessantly, then slide out of sight. Slowly bleeding out here...

He's dropped one bridge in the south along the second river... I have artillery raining down on the other bridges to disrupt his efforts... So far, I've been successful as his Engineers are getting pounded... At the first southern bridge I have his engineers reduced and disrupted... the VP hex falls to my flame-throwing halftrack... I just regret that it'll probably get smoked next turn by long range tank fires...

In the center, Pawel has definitely showed his excellent tactical sense... I got my scouts across the bridge, established crossfires and moved up to send the infantry across next turn... then "BAM" the door slammed shut... tanks and infantry came charging out of the treeline to wipe out my initial push... I've been pounding the treeline all along, but no joy as the un-spotted SMG and Engineers come rushing out to destroy my scouts...

He followed with smoke and slammed the door to my crossing... He then advanced over the bridge with more smoke and his tank swarm came swinging around to the north and south of the woods in the center... I expected as much and had Panthers and King Tigers waiting to break up his move... he popped up on the top and lost several Shermans... Of course, I paid as he engaged a loaded halftrack... The T34/85s came around the southern tree lines but are driven back by the King Tigers... His shots force one of the Kings to pull back... Lots of fire, but no real damage...

More infantry moving up to support the treeline in trucks near where the Kings and T34/85s duked it out... Unfortunately for Pawel the deep snow slowed their progress leaving them exposed to the dreaded "88" long of the King's...

Smoking and mangled wreckage are all that remains of Pawel's first tactical slip.. Up until that point, he had done an excellent job of not letting me see anything... I'm sure I won't get that lucky again...

Exposed and on the wrong side of the river, his infantry is mowed down at point blank by the Panthers in a close assault with flame-throwing and infantry ladened halftracks. His infantry is disrupted and reduced by three as it retreats one hex... Follow up assault wipes out his foray back across the bridge...

Nose to nose, the Germans stare at the Russian infantry on the other side of the bridge... This is turning into real slugfest...

Regards,

Jim
05-23-2013, 05:51 PM,
(05-23-2013, 02:23 PM)Jim von Krieg Wrote: In the East, Pawel is giving me fits as my Death's Head moves forward...

As I move across the open plan, his T34/85's snipe at my infantry incessantly, then slide out of sight. Slowly bleeding out here...

He's dropped one bridge in the south along the second river... I have artillery raining down on the other bridges to disrupt his efforts... So far, I've been successful as his Engineers are getting pounded... At the first southern bridge I have his engineers reduced and disrupted... the VP hex falls to my flame-throwing halftrack... I just regret that it'll probably get smoked next turn by long range tank fires...

In the center, Pawel has definitely showed his excellent tactical sense... I got my scouts across the bridge, established crossfires and moved up to send the infantry across next turn... then "BAM" the door slammed shut... tanks and infantry came charging out of the treeline to wipe out my initial push... I've been pounding the treeline all along, but no joy as the un-spotted SMG and Engineers come rushing out to destroy my scouts...

He followed with smoke and slammed the door to my crossing... He then advanced over the bridge with more smoke and his tank swarm came swinging around to the north and south of the woods in the center... I expected as much and had Panthers and King Tigers waiting to break up his move... he popped up on the top and lost several Shermans... Of course, I paid as he engaged a loaded halftrack... The T34/85s came around the southern tree lines but are driven back by the King Tigers... His shots force one of the Kings to pull back... Lots of fire, but no real damage...

More infantry moving up to support the treeline in trucks near where the Kings and T34/85s duked it out... Unfortunately for Pawel the deep snow slowed their progress leaving them exposed to the dreaded "88" long of the King's...

Smoking and mangled wreckage are all that remains of Pawel's first tactical slip.. Up until that point, he had done an excellent job of not letting me see anything... I'm sure I won't get that lucky again...

Exposed and on the wrong side of the river, his infantry is mowed down at point blank by the Panthers in a close assault with flame-throwing and infantry ladened halftracks. His infantry is disrupted and reduced by three as it retreats one hex... Follow up assault wipes out his foray back across the bridge...

Nose to nose, the Germans stare at the Russian infantry on the other side of the bridge... This is turning into real slugfest...

Regards,

Jim

Wish there was a way to record a game and watch the whole thing in playback - would love to watch this one.
Send this user an email
05-24-2013, 08:43 AM,
Pawel and I have a real slug fest going...

Red Air force showed up taking out a flammenwagen prepping for the bridge crossing... Enemy arty everywhere... Loaded track of Engineers bite the dust... Ouch, that hurt... A King Tiger is disabled under a tremendous barrage...

Once the fires lift, Pawel's Reds try the southern flank of the battle raging over the bridge and his attack is again disrupted by my long lines of fire from the King Tigers and the towed 88's... Two platoons stuck there in the open...

Looking down the muzzles of Panthers, his SMGs retreat back, leaving the Engineers guarding the bridge... A platoon of Shermans appear in the tree line... It's like their beaming in...

As my artillery pounds the enemy, the Red engineers abandon their post and retreat down the road...

Good-bye to the T34/85 platoons stuck in the open... Towed 88's, King Tigers and Panthers light him up... More smoking wrecks near the burning trucks... The Sherman platoon is driven back with two fewer tanks by fire from the Kings... Good, starting to attrit his armor...

My Panthers cross the bridge in the center, in concert with halftracks, I attempt a close assault... No joy... Engineers retreats into the treeline with the SMGs... I unleash a barrage of fire from panzers and approaching infantry... Surprise as my infantry moves in from above... More troops begin the rush for the bridge...

Its clear his engineers have blown the second bridge across the river on the back side... Well, I'm definitely not going the southern route, but on the bright side there is no need to leave screening forces in the area... time to pack up and move north...

Right after I kill that pesky 1 strength engineer that keeps retreating under fire with his back to the river and the blown bridges, there is nowhere for him to go... DIE!!!! but he won't... I see some free trucks caught on the wrong side of the river as well... More free points... going to need all those points as this one is going to be tight...

I'm across the river, but given Pawel's bag'o tricks so far, there might be some more heavy fighting to stay there...

Regards from the Electronic Eastern Front...

Jim vK
05-24-2013, 09:02 AM,
This Just In  News from the Kursk front
In the Old School versus New School Team game,

Massive German forces are observed attacking into the Kursk Salient... A large grey wave of infantry is pouring forward supported by heavy artillery fire...

Desperately, Russian infantry and artillery fires attempt to stem the tide with limited success so far... Large numbers of panzers are also observed moving forward in the vicinity of Cherkosskoye and Novo Cherkosskoye... The feared Tigers are lurking in the area...

Casualties are heavy so far as the Fascist Invader ravages the Red Guards... However, the Germans aren't escaping without casualties of their own...

Help is on the way... Hang in there Heroes of the Soviet Union!!! Forward to VICTORY!!!
05-24-2013, 11:31 PM,
Quote:Wish there was a way to record a game and watch the whole thing in playback - would love to watch this one.

There a 'record game' button on the menu bar, but when I tried it on one game I got some kind of error message. I've yet to hear of anyone who got it to work correctly, but I'm holding out hope. Helmet Smile
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
05-25-2013, 02:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2013, 02:15 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
News  RE: Random chatter...
Tank7 T34s step onto the Kursk stage. Casualties in German ranks sky rocket where ever they appear. Huzza, Huzza, Huzza!

Glorious Defenders of the Motherland, Red Army Tank Corps IVO Kursk - Unit Commander stands tall in his hatch straining to see over the ridge through his binoculars. He flashes his hand and arm signals to the other tank commanders. Move forward to crest the ridge. Engage enemy at long range.

As the T34s move up, displayed before them along the valley floor is a vast armored spearhead of unsuspecting panzers overburdened with infantry. It is moving forward with typical German precision towards the river and the Russian trenches. They are also moving into a Russian fire sack.

Sturmovichs thunder overhead, streaking above the Russian positions to swoop down into the valley that points like a dagger into the Red Army positions. Artillery rounds scream in anger as they seek out the advancing German foe. All timed to rake the German forces as they cross the river. At the head of the wedge a panzer burns and an infantry platoon bleeds.

Almost simultaneously, T34s crest the rise. TC: Comrade Gunner, HE... extreme range... FIRE! Gunner: Round up, ON THE WAY!!! TC: More HE... extreme range... FIRE! Gunner: Round up, ON THE WAY!!! Round after round explodes along the German armored wedge. Exposed panzergrenadiers tumble through the air from their armored perches to rise no more.

All along the front, the Red Army attempts to stem the tide of the German push. All along the front, survivors stream to the rear in utter exhaustion from the tremendous German barrages pounding their positions which are quickly followed up by murderous small arms fire from the enemy assault troops.

This is no rapier thrust. This is a massive slugfest that harkens back to the Great War. Artillery flashes all along the front. Large infantry formations fight it out in trench lines. Only difference from the previous generation is that now there is a great armored serpent uncoiling itself to strike deep.

(05-24-2013, 11:31 PM)John Given Wrote:
Quote:Wish there was a way to record a game and watch the whole thing in playback - would love to watch this one.

There a 'record game' button on the menu bar, but when I tried it on one game I got some kind of error message. I've yet to hear of anyone who got it to work correctly, but I'm holding out hope. Helmet Smile

John,

Don't quote me on this but IIRC this replay originally only worked for a solo game. Also, I think it may no longer work with the Matrix upgrade.

To all others following my random chatter on Kursk, I've created a series of screen shots and will eventually start sharing a few. Still too early yet. As I might reveal "State Secrets" to the Fascist Invaders during the course of the battle, I suspect it'll be many turns down the road before I start downgrading their classification status for releasibility. LOL...

I'm considering doing this with Death's Head, but it takes a lot of work to keep up with this. This is a fight worthy of it though. Tremendous fight and lots of punishment administered by both sides.

Regards,

Jim