• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Observations froma CW-Europe Tester
06-12-2013, 06:34 AM,
RE: Observations froma CW-Europe Tester
Quote:Here's a few more weird and rare glitches (or purposely coded?)

a. If you toggle the 'dig in' command for infantry, it can draw op-fire. Weird.

b. If an engineer lays smoke, it can trigger op-fire.

There are probably other glitches out there that I'm not even aware of. Confused Suspicious

Before others think that there is something wrong ie. "glitch" or "weird", you'll find it in the manual.
Not weird or a glitch. It is the process of opportunity fire? Farmer

5.14 Opportunity Fire
In the Campaign Series, Opportunity Fire (OpFire, that is, friendly fire during the enemy’s turn in reaction to an enemy action such as movement) will occur automatically. OpFire has a chance to occur (and is performed automatically by the computer) when an enemy unit expends Action Points in the range and Line Of Sight of a friendly (opposing) unit, providing that friendly unit has enough “saved” Action Points (equal to or greater than its Fire ).

Not that I can speak, or want to speak, about the medics. But, they operate "funny" because of how they are modded into the game?

Toast

HSL
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 11:15 AM,
"I like the idea of hospital ships in the game as well ( no game function except transport and maybe spotting)."

Hospital ships as spotters? You mean directing artillery and locating enemy units? Good lord! My question on this would be, when, in any reasonable situation, would a hospital ship be anywhere close to the fighting? Except maybe when engaged in a naval action? I think the whole idea of using any medics to "spot" crosses a line of sorts. I mean, other than that they're suppose to be "non-combatants", if I as another player knew that they were actively spotting for the enemy combat units, I would blast away at them just like I would any other unit. I'd be foolish not to. And to use hospital ships, ambulances, and other medical type units as "transports" is a little odd as well. I mean, who are you transporting? Combat troops? If so, then you have, by international law, given the enemy the right to blow them up. Some hospital ships in WW1 were sunk just for that reason.

There is a way of making them incapable of spotting, similar to trucks and such, but it would involve a code change in the software.
06-12-2013, 07:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM by John Given.)
(06-12-2013, 11:15 AM)Dogovich Wrote: "I like the idea of hospital ships in the game as well ( no game function except transport and maybe spotting)."

Hospital ships as spotters? You mean directing artillery and locating enemy units? Good lord! My question on this would be, when, in any reasonable situation, would a hospital ship be anywhere close to the fighting? Except maybe when engaged in a naval action? I think the whole idea of using any medics to "spot" crosses a line of sorts. I mean, other than that they're suppose to be "non-combatants", if I as another player knew that they were actively spotting for the enemy combat units, I would blast away at them just like I would any other unit. I'd be foolish not to. And to use hospital ships, ambulances, and other medical type units as "transports" is a little odd as well. I mean, who are you transporting? Combat troops? If so, then you have, by international law, given the enemy the right to blow them up. Some hospital ships in WW1 were sunk just for that reason.

There is a way of making them incapable of spotting, similar to trucks and such, but it would involve a code change in the software.

Hi Dogovich, the reason I mentioned no abilities except as transport and spotters is because I'm not sure it's possible in the game engine to make ships and aircraft unable to spot. I would like for non-combatants to have the question mark (?) appear when they see an enemy unit, but again, I'm not sure if that is possible.

I should have worded it like this; I like the idea of Hospital ships and Medivac Army Choppers in CW in the game FOR VARIETY PURPOSES ONLY, however, they would UNFORTUNATELY be able to spot enemy units.

As far as tranport, the choppers ferry the wounded to a regional medical base in the scenario (if there is one), and it should have a SP limit of 2 to prevent players from loading healthy units.

Hospital ships are (admittedly) harder to justify, but since they technically carried large numbers of (wounded) infantry, my mention of cargo capacity was a (lame?) attempt to justify their existence. Hey look at it this way; they wouldn't be unbalancing any scenarios anytime soon.

Besides, it's highly unlikely they'll ever be included, so moot point.

That better?
Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
06-13-2013, 08:53 AM,
Yeah, I was thinking much the same way regards spotting. If you could make is so that they are basically like trucks and such, then that would be better. It would also preclude them from being used for the purpose of taking objectives, etc...

That being said, we both know that the A/I and unscrupulous players will take advantage of them in lots of unethical ways.