• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Jutland!
04-04-2013, 10:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013, 07:48 AM by Kool Kat.)
Jutland!
Gents: Smoke7

As I was putting the "Steam and Iron" demo through it's paces... I came across this beauty...

JUTLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!! Yikes2

Check out this video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLFdhewl83M

Fantastic 3D ship modeling, realistic sea and weather conditions, and great gunnery images!! Love the sun rise / sunset effects and the bombardment "shock waves" as the dreadnoughts fire their broadsides! Big Grin

Holy cow! Holy Cow

No offensive to the players who enjoy and play "Steam and Iron" - but I can't even look at S&I anymore after salivating over Jutland!

Does anyone here own and have experience with Jutland? Idea2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 11:42 PM,
RE: Jutland!
Super nice video. Love the musical score.
04-05-2013, 05:17 AM,
I used to play distant guns years ago. That is the same engine. I liked it. When I saw this post I went to the storm eagle website and saw that they have a sale thru Friday. I got all 4 both Jutland and Distant Guns and the two ship packs for about $70 which is half-price. I cant check them out right now because I am at work but later if you decide to get Jutland let me know I will play multi player.
Thank you, Wolf Blitzer c10sutton at yahoo.com
Send this user an email
04-08-2013, 05:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2013, 09:34 PM by gabeeg.)
I am curious to get your impressions if you end up buying it. I tried to demo Distant Guns eons ago when it was new but had a handful of technical problems and their support is (was) beyond awful...not just unhelpful but rude. A lot of people were disenchanted by the company support and shied away. Recently though I have heard that they must have realized that is not a great business model and recent users have no complaints on the support they have received and have been very satisfied. As for the game itself, for me it required way too much mouse movement and clicking and quickly became unenjoyable (I finally got a demo working a year or two after my initial bad experience). I can see that once you get used to the game interface it might not be so distracting but I did not put a lot of time into it. I really, really wanted to like it but in the end I didn't...lots of people do though. Just my opinion for what it is worth. P.S. I love NWS SaI, but I would like to have a pretty as well as immersive naval combat game...I don't think thats being too greedy :) . Please post if you end up buying Jutland.
04-09-2013, 07:47 AM,
(04-08-2013, 05:59 PM)gabeeg Wrote: I am curious to get your impressions if you end up buying it. Please post if you end up buying Jutland.

I will post IF I purchase Jutland.

Currently, there are other more pressing priorities in my life... with the purchase and learning of new PC games not being one of them! Cry
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-24-2013, 06:52 AM,

Ok. I bit the "bullet" or is it "torpedo?" :whis:

I purchased Jutland!! Yikes2

I did experience an initial game authentication issue when I purchased and downloaded the game files (Saturday, April 20). This authentication problem kept me from playing the game for two days. I had to submit a ticket to the Storm Eagle Studios (SES) Help Desk, but I did receive a response before noon on Monday that resolved the issue! Smile

I'm not a fan of their authentication process - essentially you have to start Jutland from a SES Launcher that connects with their servers, verifies you have a properly licensed / registered software copy, each time before you can play the game! Crazy SES must be a little paranoid about software piracy? Idea2 It can get rather frustrating for the player! Cry

But, once you get into Jutland, it is fun! I've played several small computer-generated battles (approximately 6 ships total) to learn the basics of ship movement and combat. 3D ship models are well done complete with bow wakes, boiler noises, and large amounts of smoke billowing from funnels! Nice weather and sunlight effects. There's a interesting "shell cam" view that allows players to follow the shell barrage fired from your ship (e.g. it's like you are riding on top of the shells!) as it arches up and splashes down near the enemy ship target. Shell splashes / near misses are modeled well. Ship models show damage.

Memorable moment for me. I was commanding the German light cruiser Arcona against 5 British destroyers. I steamed straight at the British fleet... got the range to under 5,000 yards... turned broadsides... and opened up with every gun I had. (10.5 CM SK L/40 guns). Sunk 2 British destroyers, and lightly damaged 2 others in approximately 10 minutes. The survivors retreated under full steam and their 25 knots top speed allowed them to pull away from my Arcona. She can only muster 21 knots.

Good fun! Big Grin

I am enjoying Jutland!
Send this user an email
04-24-2013, 06:59 AM,
That is great news.

[Image: 0f9d925774th_pirates-1.gif]

You'll have to spoil us with some screen shots, when you can find the time. Wink
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 11:58 AM by Richie61.)
Here is a good review of it.
http://simhq.com/_naval/naval_039a.html

I bought it 3 years ago when they were talking about a WWII series, but I don't think
that is going to happen. The designers said it won't work because of lack of air power. Helmet Rolleyes They could have excluded air power and did a WWII series. There were battles during WWII w/o planes.

Anywho: It's a good game. The DRM and then Stormpowered blow. Sorry, there is no other way to say it LMAO

Sure it has bugs, but when it's running it's fun. Just try to buy it cheap,
for it's not an inexpensive investment for an old game.
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."