• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Squad Battle Mods
03-22-2013, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM by Wolfgang.)
Squad Battle Mods
Update: I've decided to switch to what I hope is a better file service. Mediafire is lame. The v2 squad battle mods will be unavailable for a brief time during the change over.

To Be Continued

----
Wrapped up work on the First World War mod and put the finishing touches on 9 other squad battle mod packages I've been working on.

I will be uploading them today for download from my blog over the weekend:)

http://grognardgamer.blogspot.com/

Included in this go around will be a mega pack that contains all 10 mods.

[Image: eb760deb82FWWmodv1.jpg]

What got updated?
- New unit boxes, counters, symbols, & terrain files.
- Subtle enhancements to the weapon/item graphics in Soviet Afghan War.
- Updated objective graphics for all nationalities/factions.
- Period style compass for First World War.
- Sand terrain hexes for desert titles.
- Enhancements to Vietnam/Tour of Duty to better reflect the terrain coloration there.
- Reversed Terrain Tiles for Vietnam and Tour of Duty (Hilltops are light, low ground is dark)
- Updates to City, Town, Village & Industrial graphics for Desert and Jungle terrains.
- Updates to Bunker, Pillbox, & Improved positions to make them less "in the way".
- Enhancements to Broken and Rough terrain types
- Enhancements to Destroyed terrain types to make them easier to recognize (Destroyed wooden structures for instance)
- For unit boxes, I attempted to use actual photographs from the periods defined by the game as backdrops where possible.
- Unit Highlighting received some adjustments for increased recognition in the heat of battle.
- All Airborne capable units have a diagonal split/dual color counter now - something like a UN cavalry symbol.
- In coloring the units and counters, I attempted to stay true to the source color of the unit when the game was released - just shaded and enhanced to add a little complexity and texture.

As always - my mods are original works combined with modified stock graphics.

Feel free to contact me with any technical issues, suggestions, comments, questions or requests. :)

Up next: Ancient Warfare mods. I hope to have a few out over the next 1-3 months.

* I've tested and rapidly vetted each build but with this many mods it would take ages to thoroughly test each one.

* Included is a backup copy of the symbols file should you prefer the stock look and didn't backup the game directory first.^^
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2013, 02:16 AM,
RE: First World War Mod + 10 others
Looking forward to seeing your work. Top Hat
03-23-2013, 04:15 AM,
Thanks - does your bespectacled emote indicate a thorough inspection is ahead lol??

You know I was using MediaFire to host my files. In exchange for it being free you have to deal with the ads. Pretty normal fare... but when I was testing the downloads I found a lot of 3rd party pop ups occuring - some not too legit looking and some that seemed to attempt to want to fool the user into clicking on their 'download' link.

So I've decided not to use it - nor risk any of my blog visitors using it either. I could pay their nominal fee, but now that Ive seen what they let through the free door, I'd have to decline. Not impressed.

Will find a new home for them soon^^
Send this user an email
03-23-2013, 05:09 AM,
What about Box.com? It is very clean with no ads; it looks like this:

https://www.box.com/s/7fxly8ss99hovj1equon

Best of all, you don't get any junk emails from them, if you do register.

03-23-2013, 10:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013, 10:58 AM by Wolfgang.)
Thanks for the tip - I think I may try that. The look is a lot cleaner - and no pop ups.

The changeover gives me a chance to add in a few more adjustments to the graphics too. Some of the Russian unit boxes needed a better backdrop and I liked the look of less counter space on the bunkers and pillbox counters. Think I may extend that style to trenches, sewers and wire.

Here's the general style of the boxes:

[Image: 3f89054fccrv_modGermanPantherBox.jpg]

I could add in multi-man unit counters but I actually like the stock 1 guy picture on the squads plus I'm not aware of those being stock graphics in any of the game versions?
Send this user an email
03-26-2013, 06:08 AM,
RE: Squad Battle Mods
I run Box on Task Force Echo Four. Haven't had any issues in the last 4 years. Their free service does limit the size of the file, but should be fine.
03-26-2013, 06:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-26-2013, 06:19 AM by Wolfgang.)
(03-26-2013, 06:08 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I run Box on Task Force Echo Four. Haven't had any issues in the last 4 years. Their free service does limit the size of the file, but should be fine.

Yea I've been trying out Box lately and I really like it much better than media fire. The interface is clean with no spurious pop ups.

I've already linked up some of my scenarios for the Fields of Glory. Soon as I finish a few last touches on the squad battle mods, I will upload them as well :)

I've updated a somewhat humorous post on what my Squad Battle mod contains in general for all the titles when it's re-released:

Send this user an email
06-16-2019, 12:02 AM,
great mods
do you make any new custom mods for the squad battles series
I have used up all the task 4 items

br steve
09-28-2019, 08:22 PM,
Help  RE: Squad Battle Mods
(03-22-2013, 09:58 AM)Ironwulf Wrote: Update: I've decided to switch to what I hope is a better file service. Mediafire is lame. The v2 squad battle mods will be unavailable for a brief time during the change over.  

To Be Continued

----
Wrapped up work on the First World War mod and put the finishing touches on 9 other squad battle mod packages I've been working on.

What got updated?
- Enhancements to Vietnam/Tour of Duty to better reflect the terrain coloration there.
- Reversed Terrain Tiles for Vietnam and Tour of Duty (Hilltops are light, low ground is dark)
- Updates to City, Town, Village & Industrial graphics for Desert and Jungle terrains.
- Updates to Bunker, Pillbox, & Improved positions to make them less "in the way".
- Enhancements to Destroyed terrain types to make them easier to recognize (Destroyed wooden structures for instance)
- For unit boxes, I attempted to use actual photographs from the periods defined by the game as backdrops where possible.
- Unit Highlighting received some adjustments for increased recognition in the heat of battle.
- All Airborne capable units have a diagonal split/dual color counter now - something like a UN cavalry symbol.
- In coloring the units and counters, I attempted to stay true to the source color of the unit when the game was released - just shaded and enhanced to add a little complexity and texture.

Feel free to contact me with any technical issues, suggestions, comments, questions or requests. :)

Up next: Ancient Warfare mods. I hope to have a few out over the next 1-3 months.

* I've tested and rapidly vetted each build but with this many mods it would take ages to thoroughly test each one.

* Included is a backup copy of the symbols file should you prefer the stock look and didn't backup the game directory first.^^

hi these look great mods , do you make and post custom scens for this aquad battle seris
09-30-2019, 05:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2019, 06:00 PM by Wolfgang.)
(09-28-2019, 08:22 PM)shorttape Wrote:
(03-22-2013, 09:58 AM)Ironwulf Wrote: Update: I've decided to switch to what I hope is a better file service. Mediafire is lame. The v2 squad battle mods will be unavailable for a brief time during the change over.  

To Be Continued

----

What got updated?

hi these look great mods , do you make and post custom scens for this aquad battle seris

Hi and thank you for the compliment - I really do enjoy modding JTS games as much as I love playing them.

I've been going through some life stuff lately (new engineering/consulting database job, a Universal Music recording project, a new girlfriend and possibly a move to a new location in the city where I live, etc), but I hope when things settle down I'll have some time to return to modding. I've also gone through some computing changes lately and i was briefly without a PC - prior to that I had another PC die on me and it took some of my latest work with it - including the WW I mod.

I now use an iMac Pro but I figured out that I could use Microsoft's Remote Desktop app for Mac OS and I can now connect remotely to my PC and run JTS and HPS games just as if I were in front of my Windows machine - works pretty good I have to say.

I'm also gonna guess that JTS games will probably get around to updating the Squad Battles series to Gold standard and some point and I have to say the new graphics they're using already look pretty damn good... so I'm not sure if I'll pursue it hardcore but definitely for fun and personal pleasure when I have the time.

Now that I'm back again, I have some outstanding pbm games to return to!

Best regards,

Ironwulf.

:)
Send this user an email