• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

P&F Bloody Tarawa team game - calling all participants.
06-24-2013, 02:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-24-2013, 02:24 AM by Jeff Conner.)
RE: P&F Bloody Tarawa team game - calling all participants.
Marc

If this was my scenario, and its not, I would remove the Banzai charges. Their value in the game system far exceeds that in history. I can't recall a single historical Banzai charge that could be considered successful. Modern firepower is just too powerful. Several Japanese commanders eventually figured this out and forbade them. As Bill mentioned, the Japanese attacks in our game not only took back objective hexes that we have still not recaptured, but more importantly seized protective terrain (bunkers and trenches) that we needed to regroup in.

The second thing I would change is to add a pair of leaders with decent, but not A grade morale (maybe a B and a C) and a setup radio. This would represent the ability of the US forces to direct support fires to any portion of the island with some accuracy (aerial observation by floatplanes for example). I was continually frustrated by a lack of radios to call in support fires and when I had them, a lack of lines of sight to use them effectively. I am loathe to call in fire without a line of sight due to the inaccuracy that results. I did some of this regardless, but I don't think it was overly effective at preventing the Japanese from reinforcing the landing beaches. In fact, I would not be surprised to learn that we caused more friendly casualties than we did enemy ones with support fires. The setup radio would at least allow the support fires to land somewhere near where the player intended them to.

When you review the results of a playtest, you have to take into consideration the ability of the players involved. Not all players are equal. Ozgur and Bill are probably the two best players I have ever challenged. I don't think I have ever beaten Bill (although we have only played a few games) and I have only bested Ozgur once that I can remember. I have no doubt that the Marines can win this scenario, but maybe not against against players like Oz and Bill.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: P&F Bloody Tarawa team game - calling all participants. - by Jeff Conner - 06-24-2013, 02:23 AM