• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Are airplanes too strong?
02-11-2013, 03:27 AM,
c_Question Mark  Are airplanes too strong?
Hello everybody,

in one of my last battles I used some air support (strafe). They are really cheap and can be pain in the ass for the opponent. Now my question: is it not fair to use them and a kind of cheating?

Best regards
Toblakai Helmet Smile
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2013, 04:02 AM,
RE: Are airplanes too strong?
It is a legitimate asset. If you have the points for it you should be able to buy it. The only time I get pissed is when someone creates a map that favors one side. An example would be a huge open Field map and your opponents force is all Tiger tanks.
02-11-2013, 06:43 AM,
I used air once and they did nothing for me (I had 4 of them). I don't allow them because there is no AAA in the game. As for unfair buys, that is why I insist on tank restrictions before buying for both sides, like our game, it ensures a level playing field instead of relying on the rarity which really hurts the US player but not the German (zero rarity panther).
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
02-11-2013, 10:53 AM,
With me enemy aircraft never harm done.Shoot all into the void or injured only a few men.
Panthers are the worst weapon in CMBN/CW!
02-11-2013, 07:46 PM,
Thanks for answering! So we have different experience with air support. With only strafe you don’t have to pay a lot, especially at CMFI, and they can knock out an ATG in a Forest or other hidden soft targets.
02-12-2013, 01:59 AM,
Sure they can. But they can also randomly decide that your own troops present better targets than the enemy.
The trouble with planes is you have 0 control over them.You can't know or at least predict if that big bomb they carry will land on top of the enemy armor concentration,in some remote corner of the map or even on your guys. It's quite a gamble and most of us,i guess,hate this kind of gamble Big Grin
Send this user an email
02-12-2013, 03:57 AM,
That would be historically accurate considering how times allied planes bombed their own. The ground pounders didn't call The Mighty Eighth the Allied Luftwaffe for no reason. My grandfather received more friendly arty and air strikes than German and he was in a AAA battery.
02-12-2013, 06:35 AM,
I have yet to see a plain, either way. My feeling is that if they are avaialble and you buy them, all is fair.
02-14-2013, 02:14 AM,
:) I have been on the receiving side of Toblakai's strafing plane(s).
It knocked out 3 out 5 hidden ATG's and immobilized a Tiger that was invisible to my opponent at that time.
You indeed need luck to achieve such a feat, and indeed it might well be that the bombs fall on your own head.... but....

Cunning players can minimize this risk by buying relatively cheap TRP's and send out their pesty airplanes towards those TRP's staying well out of harmsway. (and shortening the long arrival delays...)
Sit back and enjoy the fireworks, and it is all allowed because the game allows it.

It sure is sour to chew, when you have spend hours finding the best spots to put your ATG's :)
02-14-2013, 11:43 PM,
Hi Marijn, good to hear a victim’s voice Helmet Wink