• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Poll: Should Medic Units be included in JTCS?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
26.09%
6 26.09%
No
73.91%
17 73.91%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Should Medic Units be included in JTCS?
02-12-2013, 09:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013, 09:09 AM by John Given.)
RE: Should Medic Units be included in JTCS?
Hey everyone, I'm very happy that this discussion has gone the distance. It's this kind of discussion that helps our club and our hobby grow.

Quote: Posted by Battle Kat - Today 06:54 PM Rod, They would 'pick up the wounded' via enhancing the morale of a disrupted unit, allowing it to return to duty. I think that is a neat wy to abstract it.

Also, instead of having Medics running around the map (in little kubelwagens, preferrably), an addition of say Advanced Dressing Stations and Field Dressing Stations would allow disrupted platoons to 'transfer their wounded' in a historical manner that fits the scale. A Medical Squad or Medical Platoon with their 'stretchers' would provide a similar aid as well.

I feel the idea of adding medical logistics was terrific, and it would just need a proper implementation to add to the game (scenarios) for those who would like to experiment a new dimension to JTCS.

Negative VP values if implemented need to be considered carefully. I feel they should have a negative value. And if someone blocks an exit hex with layers of Field Dressing Stations well I won't be playing him again. Helmet Wink

All in all, a very simple abstraction.

Battle Kat essentially summed up what I was try to say. I agree with this post completely - thank you.

Quote: Posted by K K Rossokolski - Today 07:15 PMI was initially strongly opposed to this idea, but if properly thought through, and given acceptable realism, it could be of value.

we most certainly do need to think it through Rod. My apologies if I ever came across as proposing something radical or reckless.

Quote:K K Rossokolski Wrote: But I am yet to be convinced that they can actually do anything. How does the CS medic pick out the wounded from the CS platoon? How does the dustoff helo know who to load?

Rod, YOU decide WHAT unit to load into WHICH vehicle, as always. Nothing has changed except for a pretty red cross drown on the sides of the unit. To load a disrupted unit into an ambulance or any other conveyance, you do the same thing as if loading a regular truck. Of course, since the proverbial 'patient' is disrupted, it will be harder to load, maybe even requiring 100 movement points. But the game mechanic is unchanged. With the exception of (possible) negative point values, an ambulance is really no different than a truck - it's a game engine limitation. However, I mentioned in a prior post that these medical vehicles should be flagged to carry infantry class units only (for realism's sake).

Quote:K K Rossokolski Wrote: How does the CS medic pick out the wounded from the CS platoon?

He will simply boost the morale (but not the command rating) of the disrupted units he's stacked with. It is important to note that where that medic unit sits in that scenario's ORG file determines what units he is 'attached' to - his 'rank' if you will - just like with any other unit. It's no different than putting a regular officer into an oob when you design a scenario - his location in the oob 'tree' determines who's stats he can adjust.

Until then, what's stopping us from taking an officer from the OOB editor when creating a new scenario, give him the name 'Medic' and stick him into a scenario org file? His game function will be very similar to an actual medic, only he'll have a command rating and a positive point value (which I do not want for medics).

So to put this in perspective; what the medic nay-sayers are basically saying is; an 'officer' with no command rating, a neg. point value, and a different graphic would be bad for the game.

Okay. I don't believe that this could possibly be, in any way, a negative for our hobby, but there it is. I respect the votes and the opinions of the club members though.

Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Sun Tzu
02-12-2013, 10:27 AM,
Gentlemen,

does this poll gone to a successful way. I don´t think so!

The medics will neither bring the game things that it doesn´t need and they are also not unrealistic garbage. And they will not ruin the balance.

Gentlemen, we´re talking about secondary units, not about a fundamental change for the game! There are a few things who can´t through the program code work perfect and one of them are the medics.

Well, the medics can´t select wounded men, that´s correct. But can you choose tanks as targets when you attack with a JU-87G AT plane? When yes, it would new for me.

Incomprehensible to hear that the medics would ruin our game.

R
Stefan
I create and revise: Order of Battles, Table of Equipments, Weapon Values for Modern Wars (in work: DG Lebanon War 1982 - 1985, DG Falklands War and again CWE!)
02-12-2013, 10:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013, 10:52 AM by Herr Straße Laufer.)
(02-12-2013, 09:05 AM)John Given Wrote: Until then, what's stopping us from taking an officer from the OOB editor when creating a new scenario, give him the name 'Medic' and stick him into a scenario org file? His game function will be very similar to an actual medic, only he'll have a command rating and a positive point value (which I do not want for medics).

So to put this in perspective; what the medic nay-sayers are basically saying is; an 'officer' with no command rating, a neg. point value, and a different graphic would be bad for the game.

Okay. I don't believe that this could possibly be, in any way, a negative for our hobby, but there it is. I respect the votes and the opinions of the club members though.

Officers effect morale, the ability to hit what is being shot at, and they increase the range of HQ's.
To make a point you want to call them medics?

Officers have a purpose. They were built into the system. You changing them to medics kinda taints the system?

Medics in this discussion morphed into Field hospitals, ambulances, etc. that positively effect friendly morale and negatively effect enemy morale if they get hit by scattered artillery fire, or the player chooses to shoot at them.

All in a six minute turn and platoon scale?
I think that, YES, it would be bad for the game. :whis:
For the hobby? What the heck is that supposed to mean?
We are talking CS here?

No one said you can't put them into a mod that is designed for their use because the modder did the work. The players that use the mod can be aware that an out of scale unit that does not fit into the morale system is included in the mod.

To add them to the game itself?
That it will "effect"?

Nah, I'd rather not. I'll stay a "rude, nay saying, garbage man". Farmer

cheers

HSL

02-12-2013, 04:50 PM,
Personally I never thought medics would ruin the game. I am just simply unconvinced that we need more morale affecting units, full stop. So my opinion is not about medics only- it is about more morale boosting units in general. The current units do good a job for me with morale. I totally agree I would not have to play scenarios with medics. However if like like playing scenarios in blind without scorching through OOB? Does it mean I will have to change my habit?
02-12-2013, 06:29 PM,
Pawel, a Damocles' Sword's been upon you already for years, in a form of On-Field Bombers etc Helmet Wink
Visit us at CSLegion.com
02-12-2013, 09:02 PM,
Now hang on a moment, first I was asked my view which I gave now I'm being told by the proponents that even though they respect my view, I am wrong in that view because I disagreed with the idea and that I'm scared of what is being suggested and a nay-sayer.
Well frankly that's just poppycock of the highest order, either respect the view given and don't pass judgment on it or dispute it don't tell me why I gave the answer I did.

Rather than being scared off by the though of it or just a negative personality it's that I don't like the idea suggested and I don't think it will add anything worthwhile into the game.

If those that do want to mod it into scenario's thats fine with me. Just make sure you add that they are in there on the scenario description and I will know what games to avoid. I don't think that will happen because it never has for on-board aircraft and the other ill thought out additions that have become prevalent since the last patch, if they did I would play a lot less games that left me feeling disappointed in the CS game system.
02-12-2013, 09:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013, 09:32 PM by Kool Kat.)
Gents: Smoke7

This has been a good and interesting "continued" discussion on medics... but please... let's all stop the "labeling" and lumping players into one camp or the other on this idea.

I think we are all bigger than that? Idea2

Debate the ideas gents... dispense with the labels.... drop the judgments Debate

Thanks.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
02-13-2013, 02:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013, 02:36 AM by John Given.)
Quote:Posted by Herr Straßen Läufer - Yesterday 09:51 PM Officers effect morale, the ability to hit what is being shot at, and they increase the range of HQ's.
To make a point you want to call them medics?

Officers have a purpose. They were built into the system. You changing them to medics kinda taints the system?

Oh for pete's sake. dizzy Jester

I'm referring to the name of the officers as they appear in the org file - like 'Lt. Miller' for example. If you click on an officer name, you can blank out the text there and put anything you want in the field. Like...Medic.

When you create a scenario, you have the ability to call (rename) the officers anything you want. You did know this, right? Smile

Quote:Posted by Otto von Blotto - Today 08:02 AM
Now hang on a moment, first I was asked my view which I gave now I'm being told by the proponents that even though they respect my view, I am wrong in that view because I disagreed with the idea and that I'm scared of what is being suggested and a nay-sayer.

It's ok otto - breathe. I'm not saying that if people disagree with the medic idea that I don't think highly of them. Nay-sayer merely means 'person who disagrees.' Nothing more. Helmet Smile My alopogies if I offended.

Sun Tzu
02-13-2013, 03:15 AM,
John accepted but you really should know the definition of words if your going to use them http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=op...el=suggest . I accept you may have meant it as you say but what is meant and what the phrase defines are two very different things. Soap Box

02-13-2013, 03:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013, 03:23 AM by John Given.)
totally my fault Otto - looks like I learned a new term today!

I have heard that since i was a kid and never noticed shall we say, an insulting connotation. :whis:

Sun Tzu