• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern War UAV
02-02-2013, 03:27 PM,
Modern War UAV
Does anyone know what the best means of deploying and using a UAV on the battlefield would be? I notice that it shows it is armed with a camera.

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 03:09 AM,
RE: Modern War UAV
I have to preface this by admitting that I have played very little Modern War. If you check the weapon data, you will notice that the camera is a detection weapon, like binoculars, with a long range and infrared capability (so it can be used in low visibility scenarios). The UAV is treated as a helicopter in game terms. So you could fly your UAV above or in advance of your troops and look for hidden enemy units (by firing the camera at suspected locations) as well as those that are in the open. You may also discover some enemy units when they fire at your UAV, unless they have "hold fire" orders. The UAV has an armor value of 40 so it is going to be immune to smallarms and most other types of fire except for RPGs and HEAT weapons. It does not have a radio, so you can't use it to call in support fires, but it should help you find out where the bad guys are so that you can either attack them or avoid them.
02-04-2013, 05:27 AM,
(02-04-2013, 03:09 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: I have to preface this by admitting that I have played very little Modern War. If you check the weapon data, you will notice that the camera is a detection weapon, like binoculars, with a long range and infrared capability (so it can be used in low visibility scenarios). The UAV is treated as a helicopter in game terms. So you could fly your UAV above or in advance of your troops and look for hidden enemy units (by firing the camera at suspected locations) as well as those that are in the open. You may also discover some enemy units when they fire at your UAV, unless they have "hold fire" orders. The UAV has an armor value of 40 so it is going to be immune to smallarms and most other types of fire except for RPGs and HEAT weapons. It does not have a radio, so you can't use it to call in support fires, but it should help you find out where the bad guys are so that you can either attack them or avoid them.

I tried to use the camera like binoculars while testing out the 'Dark Coast' scenario, and it doesn't work. No reaction when I fire at hexes in my LOS. I am treating it as an advanced scout.
I was just curious, as I can find no reference in the user manual.

BTW, this is an awesome scenario that tries to address an issue I'm finding some players have with MW. That being balance. The modern backdrop is great, and many years ago I remember seeing an SB screen shot of a Fulda Gap scale map for a game that is, hopefully, still on the development table. The MW concept would balance nicely with a NATO v WP game.
Thanks for the reply Jeff. Cheers, Shoppzee.
02-07-2013, 05:51 AM,
What scenario is this?
02-08-2013, 02:40 AM,
(02-07-2013, 05:51 AM)kolc Wrote: What scenario is this?

It's part of the add on art package at TFE4. The scenario comes with the art mod. Great art mod btw.
It is a large scale scn. Hypothetical to balance play better. It is called 'Dark Coast.'
02-08-2013, 03:08 AM,
thanks
02-09-2013, 01:51 PM,
Hmm... had no idea that scenario was out there! I actually designed that one and the art mod about a year ago?? I made many versions to test for balance and to satisfy my curiousity about some aspects of the game and the type of units available. It was inspired by real events of the time. The potential units involved were also researched (to the best of my abilities) and the order of battle altered to reflect that.

Well... wow that's cool that it's still out there.
I'm glad that someone is enjoying it^^
Send this user an email
02-20-2013, 05:35 AM,
(02-09-2013, 01:51 PM)Ironwulf Wrote: Hmm... had no idea that scenario was out there! I actually designed that one and the art mod about a year ago?? I made many versions to test for balance and to satisfy my curiousity about some aspects of the game and the type of units available. It was inspired by real events of the time. The potential units involved were also researched (to the best of my abilities) and the order of battle altered to reflect that.

Well... wow that's cool that it's still out there.
I'm glad that someone is enjoying it^^

Great content, thanks for designing it. Check you PM, I have sent you a message re this very subject. Ted..