• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New unit type: Leader with direct fire capability
01-27-2013, 05:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM by Crossroads.)
New unit type: Leader with direct fire capability
A placeholder to discuss the new Stu-40 leader with a capability for firing when with another similar unit (ie. someone within range for the attempted hard or soft attack).

[Image: Up05411_zpsa63209f7.png]

Tricky little things. I almost gave up on them already. But will instead do a write up of what I've found out so far for everyone's opinion about them.

Topics to write in more detail later:

- Not selected when firing from the hex: act as regular leaders
- Selected when firing from the hex: participate in volleys and use APs for that too. Curiously, seem to be capable of participating in rounds even when out of AP.
- Seem to be the first to fire
- Seem to be the first to Op Fire
- Can be killed when spotted, while un-spotted units in the same hex (true for regular leaders too)

More to come, stay tuned...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013, 08:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: New unit type: Leader with direct fire capability
Direct fire with the new leader units

Direct fire, with the Stu Leader not selected: business as usual.

Before:

[Image: leader-not-firing-before_zpsab1482a9.png]

After:

[Image: leader-not-firing-after_zps364621d8.png]

Direct fire, with the Stu Leader participating.

Stu Leader uses 50 AP for his own firing sequence, the allocates 50 AP for the participating Stu platoon for fire support.

Both units selected for direct fire:

[Image: leader-firing-before_zps72ca1cba.png]

Result: Stu Leader is out of AP, Stu platoon has 50 AP remaining:

[Image: leader-firing-after_zps207d5458.png]

Direct fire, Stu Leader and 2 Platoons, Stu Leader not participating

As you would expect, the leader allocates 50 + 50 AP to support the platoons. There were two round of direct fire results in the opening Fire Results dialog box. AP situation after:

[Image: leadernot-2stugs-firing-after_zps0a270e4e.png]

However, if you now select all three platoons to fire, including the leader with 0 AP, he still participates in the round! As a result there is three direct fire results from the second round. And if you bring another Stu from the same Bn he fires again, ie. one Stu platoon + leader with 0 AP = two rounds.

But if you have say an ATG in the same hex with out of points Stu Leader, he will not be able to fire again.

Direct fire, 2 Stu Leader and 2 Platoons, Stu Leaders not participating

First round: it is the Bn Ldr who supports the firing units with 50 + 50 AP, and ends up with 0 AP. Coy Ldr is still at 100 AP. Two direct fire hits.

Second round: now the Coy Ldr in turn supports the firing units with 50 + 50 AP. Everyone at 0 AP at the end of second round.

[Image: 2leaders-not-firing-2stugs-after_zpsadac6504.png]

Direct fire, 2 Stu Leader and 2 Platoons, Stu Leaders participating

After first round, both leaders use 50 AP for firing, and 50 AP for supporting the two regular Stu Platoons. End: Leaders with 0 AP, Stu platoons with 50 AP each. Four direct fire rounds.

[Image: 2leaders-firing-2stugs-after_zpse001059d.png]

After second round, if you keep the Leaders selected even with their 0 AP, they fire again! I assume the Stu platoons are without the benefit of leader support this time around. Four direct fire results it is.

So it seems you can squeeze some extra firing rounds with these units, as long as there is a unit capable at firing the selected target with APs to do it.

That is the confusing part as how this happens, but there is a logic to these unit types as explained here.

They were created in the first place to even up the Karelian Isthmus scenarios, where they are the sole modern tank types to face IS-2s, ISU-152s, T-34/85s etc... So I guess they do deserve their added edge. Fighting tanks with assault guns is not the easiest task, as I am sure we all can relate to...

Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-27-2013, 09:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-27-2013, 11:16 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: New unit type: Leader with direct fire capability
Spotted Leaders - Regardless of unit types

See this discussion thread: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=61163

As Stu Leaders are very easily spotted, there's a few peculiarities with Leaders who are spotted when there's still some unspotted units in the same hex.

I ran a thorough test, with Foot Leaders, Mot. Leaders, and Stu Leaders.

Here's the Leader Parade from the friendly turn:

[Image: leader-parade-friendly_zps9bfd2287.png]

And here's how the visibility die rolls presented them to hostiles:

[Image: leader-parade-hostile_zpsfbc089ec.png]

The spotted Stu Leader: he was killed right away. The ATG in same hex remain unspotted, unhurt.

[Image: leader-parade-hostile-stu-kill_zps2013e3c2.png]

I massed a lot of tanks to kill the visible Foot Leader. However it took me two scenario turns to kill him with forces available.

First turn, and two firing rounds: no results. Second turn, first firing round: no results.

[Image: leader-parade-hostile-nokill_zpsdd225900.png]

Second turn, second firing round: Success! These leaders never retreat unless they retreat with a friendly unit fired at. When they are the sole targets in a hex with unspotted other units, they stay until they die.

[Image: leader-parade-hostile-footldrkill_zps7b5234e8.png]

Just to prove there was another unit there as well, who was not spotted at any time, nor harmed:

[Image: leader-parade-friendly-losses_zps369553bc.png]

Visit us at CSLegion.com