• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HQ's in assault
01-20-2013, 08:47 AM,
HQ's in assault
When in a desperate situation, I am usually willing to put hq's that have their units closeby in the frontline. but I am not actually sure if that makes any sense as they don't have an assault value.

Is there any point in putting hq's in a frontline hex to add to the defensive assault value?

In RL, HQ companies have often faced an assault and fought back, but I am not sure if PzC simulates this
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2013, 08:51 AM,
RE: HQ's in assault
I am pretty sure that there is no added value to doing this. I always keep my HQ's off the front line since they can very easily be "cherry picked" as a target.
01-20-2013, 09:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2013, 09:28 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
HQs can potentially possess an Assault Value, but in all stock scenarios I have seen, they do not have one. The HQs will add their Defence Value to the defending side in an assault (usually 16, since the HQ will be deployed and not in travel mode)so they will have a positive effect, just not one commensurate with using an infantry or armor unit of the same size.
Send this user an email
01-20-2013, 09:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM by Dog Soldier.)
The reason HQs do not need an assault value is the assault value is used to determine the casualties you inflict on an attacker when assaulted. The defense value is used to determine if you can win the assault as defender. Adding an HQ to a stack to add some small measure of defense against and assault is a viable though desperate tactic. The HQ can be shot up pretty bad by direct and indirect fire if the alt fire rules are off

With the alt fire rules on the HQ is treated as just another unit in the stack. Thus the HW can 'rally the boys' to defend just a little bit better. Even in this situation the HQ will not last long.

Another reason the HQs do not have an assault value is the gamey use to assault surrounded broken enemy units with HQs to finish them off. Totally wrong.

PzC simulates the HQs very well. These units also represent the functions of the support units not in the game for the unit they command. That is their real function. Not combat.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
01-21-2013, 06:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2013, 06:08 AM by raizer.)
you put an undisrupted HQ in a hex, it will help hold the hex, if you have to hold it. Your stack, when it defends, gets the best morale of any unit in that stack...and if the HQ has little fatigue, your stack will be credited with best fatigue rating if you are defending. So B or A level HQs that have been kept out of the fight until an emergency could add some good bonus to holding a hex.

In a wide open campaign game, not a good idea...but in a short game of say 20 turns or even a longer game with restricted avenues of approach to vp locations-say in Bulge 44-HQs can be a royal pain in the As@ if they plop onto a hex at the last minute and you have 1 turn left to take a vp or you lose. Take Bulge with a vp location on top of a supply source...you stack an A unit 101 hq on top of 2 regiments (a 750 and a 500)-max out the stacking limit, its just, yet another A unit you have to disrupt before you can assault.