• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Adding a new column to the Scenarios search pages
01-05-2013, 10:46 AM,
Adding a new column to the Scenarios search pages
What does the team think about eliminating the "H2H" column from the Scenarios pages and adding in a Size Modifier column to replace it? The H2H column is empty in so many cases and the SM column would allow us to quickly sort on the size of the scenarios instead of having to open each scenario page individually to see that data.
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 10:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013, 12:17 AM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Adding a new column to the Scenarios search pages
(01-05-2013, 10:46 AM)Armored Inferno Wrote: What does the team think about eliminating the "H2H" column from the Scenarios pages and adding in a Size Modifier column to replace it? The H2H column is empty in so many cases and the SM column would allow us to quickly sort on the size of the scenarios instead of having to open each scenario page individually to see that data.

I think it is a good suggestion... but I have a few reservations. Smile

Before we "could" move forward with such a request... I need to understand if eliminating the H2H column "destroys" the capability to search the DB for H2H Approved scenarios. I do not want that to happen.

The other question that needs to be answered is how much programing / "behind the scenes" work has to be done to accomplish it? Idea2

I'll post this request to my fellow officers... and see what is involved here.

Thanks for your suggestion! Helmet Smile

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
01-06-2013, 07:09 AM,
That's a nice idea to be able to search scenarios of certain size only. Especially if this could be added without taking anything out...

As a side note, it is possible to sort the result set by SM, then you can quickly see which scenarios match the size you are looking for. Just set the 'Order By' as SM.
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-06-2013, 09:52 AM,
Okay, I see the scene search filters and that helps. Here is a modified question off my original idea:

As I look through the scenes, filtering on SM, I am seeing Complexity values that are very high on a number of them. So here is the question:

What would be the most accurate column to display the size of a scene?

If the complexity is matching the scene's placement in our listings when we launch a new game, maybe that is the most accurate column. I think that the size of the map and the number of units factor in. Maybe the number of turns does too. So better minds than mine can probably determine which column is best to let us get a quick read on what size the scene is going to be --- with the main consideration being that we want to find a new game to play that meets the time allotments that each player has for playing an new game. Thanks!
01-06-2013, 07:14 PM,
That's good question! Anyone?

I've always used complexity but I guess that is because that is the one I am familiar with. It maxes out at 10 quite soon given the larger team games available now, but is still quite useable imho.

I have no idea how they are calculated though...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-06-2013, 10:05 PM,
(01-06-2013, 07:14 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: That's good question! Anyone?

I've always used complexity but I guess that is because that is the one I am familiar with. It maxes out at 10 quite soon given the larger team games available now, but is still quite useable imho.

I have no idea how they are calculated though...

Gents: Smoke7

Scenario SM is calculated using this formula: Turns * Complexity = Modified Complexity. The Modified Complexity number is than compared to a table that displays the calculated SM number.

Details can be viewed HERE.

Honestly, I usually go by the Complexity number (not SM) when selecting a game to play. In "my" PBeM selection criteria...

Complexity 1-4 scenarios = Short & fast turns. Block "less" time to complete a turn.

Complexity 5-7 scenarios = Long and slower turns. Block "more" time to complete a turn. May require a few game sessions that necessitate a "turn save" or two to complete.

Complexity 8-10 scenarios = Usually don't play or "may" play an occasional Complexity 8 depending on how many other PBeM games are on my dance card.

We are currently discussing this request in the Officer Barracks... and will get back to folks shortly.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email