• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Moving multiple units
12-26-2012, 04:10 PM,
RE: Moving multiple units
(12-26-2012, 12:53 PM)76mm Wrote:
(12-26-2012, 09:17 AM)Liebchen Wrote: If you're going to start using the A/I movement for formations, then you'd also better learn to call up the various A/I orders on your screen. Since they do not automatically cancel themselves when they've arrived at their destination, you'll have to periodically use that view to clear up your orders list.
The method I am referring to only moves the units to the indicated hex on that turn and does not apply on future turns. You are referring to the "delayed AI move" (or something like that), which I found to be very UNHELPFUL, as it scatters the relevant unit all over the place, continues to move at night, etc. I often initiate such moves accidentally by selecting a unit rather than a hex, but cancel them immediately when I do so.

Well, then, thanks for pointing out the distinction. I'll have to give it a try!

Quote this message in a reply
12-26-2012, 07:46 PM,
I have to say that this multi-unit move feature and the extended hotkeys (described in another thread) have really transformed this game for me by greatly reducing the drudgery of moving massive numbers of units around the map and almost eliminating the need to go into the menus or toolbar to access various commands. Much more enjoyable!
12-28-2012, 02:04 PM,
Thanks so much guys, that help ALOTBig Laugh and makes the game moves alot easier, just need to be careful how i use it. Now I know where to ask questions.

Playing my first club game and I have a feeling I am going to lose badly, Russian ground units move like molasses when it snows, and of course there are SS units in my way, dug inCry
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.
12-31-2012, 07:35 AM,
76mm you are a hero. I have been playing these games on and off now for many years and had only come upon the delayed AI move, which is indeed pish.

As I am quite anal about my units moving in an optimal manner I am not sure how direct AI move will work out for me, but if you like it then I am hoping I will too.

o7
12-31-2012, 04:32 PM,
(12-31-2012, 07:35 AM)Aditia Holdem Wrote: As I am quite anal about my units moving in an optimal manner I am not sure how direct AI move will work out for me, but if you like it then I am hoping I will too.

It works quite well, but there are a few pitfalls:

1) sometimes if you only click on the final destination hex, the units will take a shortcut which involves them leaving the road. This is pretty rare and is only really a concern during dusk or night turns, when you want to make sure that any columns remain on the roads to avoid night disruption. Avoidable, if necessary, by right-clicking on each hex for the lead unit, rather than only the destination hex.

2). Sometimes when you have a bunch of units in the same unit milling around and you click on the lead unit, the following units get confused about who should move where. Avoidable by getting units in a column before starting thie movement.

A side benefit of this mechanism is that it really encourages you to keep units together to simplify movement.