• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Europe In Flames Tournament Second Round
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM,
RE: Europe In Flames Tournament Second Round
Foul,
Well I must be a terrible general because on Dime Beach as the Allies on Turn 17 we are holding the main beachead no problem. We are even counter attacking but I believe there is absolutely no possibility of even a draw. So I don't know what strategy the other guys are using but maybe they'll let me into it after this round is over.
Maybe the others don't agree but I believe some more tweaks are needed here to balance this further.

Gordoncheers
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2013, 06:47 AM,
(01-25-2013, 10:16 PM)Gordons HQ Wrote: Foul,
Well I must be a terrible general because on Dime Beach as the Allies on Turn 17 we are holding the main beachead no problem. We are even counter attacking but I believe there is absolutely no possibility of even a draw. So I don't know what strategy the other guys are using but maybe they'll let me into it after this round is over.
Maybe the others don't agree but I believe some more tweaks are needed here to balance this further.

Gordoncheers
Well the mass of variables that occur every game can skew the results one way or another, judging by the scenarios record (especially against the stock version) and the comments that i have recieved since i created it, the result is normally a close run thing, but maybe yours was one of those results that falls outside of the average?
01-26-2013, 10:11 AM,
So much depends on what the players do, one result can't be the basis of changes in many cases. I have to say that in play of this battle, as the Allied player, I managed a relatively easy major win, in the end. But earlier I wasn't sure - I think it was still a draw at the start of the last day.

My opponent and I discussed things and blamed a lot of our result on his strategy as Axis. So things just depend, so often. Make a single bad decision and it can cost the game.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
01-26-2013, 09:14 PM,
Foul,

I applaud you for tackling this scenario I played this in it's original form some years ago as the Allies then and it was awful.
What I mean is there was no historic defeat here for the Allies, a close thing perhaps but no defeat. While I understand wargames must have playability and you have attempted to create this I still feel that the emphasis of this battle must be on the Axis to drive the Allies back into the sea and destroy the bridgehead, that I believe was their task.
I appreciate this is a difficult matter and is hard to create a perfect scenario but reading some previous posts here it would seem at least one other has struggled to get a draw.
I am unconcerned re the outcome of my particular battle and I am merely pointing this out that I believe this scenario still needs a little work for future players to appreciate it.
I will try to post some screen captures later when the scenario is concluded which may help you decide.

Gordoncheers
01-26-2013, 11:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
No offence taken, i know my scenarios are far from perfect.

Well i have planned at some stage to have another look at my various H2H scenarios to see if they can be improved again, so i am very happy to receive any constructive criticisms that you might have on this one. Smile

Casting my mind back to this scenario i think i wrestled with the issue of how the Axis player might actually defeat the invasion and capture those VP locations on the beach's, sometimes the games engine will just not allow you to recreate situations as historically accurate as you would like and so you tend to end up making compromises.

Anyway i am very glad to found the scenario a more enjoyable play than the original version which IMO offered no challenge for a PBEM match up.

These projects also opened my eyes to how difficult it is for the designers like Strela or VM to make historical and balanced scenarios for us all to enjoy. Big Grin

01-27-2013, 10:09 PM,
Hello Generals

Please be aware the end of the this round will be 2-4-13. Please make sure to post the results of your game here or email me at tide1530 yahoo.com Thank ya kindly Helmet Smile
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
01-30-2013, 06:31 AM,
Liebchen racked up a Major Win as Germans against Nacbar.
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM,
HI

Witblitz scored a minor victory(Germans) vs - Heinz(Allied)

Thx
01-30-2013, 10:30 PM,

.jpg   Dime Beach turn 19.jpg (Size: 117.43 KB / Downloads: 26)
.jpg   Victory Dialog Turn 19.jpg (Size: 52.86 KB / Downloads: 30) Hi Foul,

Here's some more food for thought re this scenario Dime Beach
I have just finished Turn 19 and have uploaded some screen shots as you can see it is a major defeat for the Allies. Looking at the map I personally would hardly call it that. The Allies hold the beachhead and are counter attacking, the Axis have failed in their mission to destroy it.
My opponent Pawel agrees this is not a good scenario for the Allies he is in fact also playing the campaign game and he struggled a bit with that. However in that the Axis had to draw off part of the Livorno against the neighboring 3rd US Div and also 104th PzG against Paratroops coming from the East.
He was able also to devote the whole of the Allied sea power and air power against the Axis here to stabilize the position. That is something that we are unable to do in this scenario as their is little of both.

I hope this helps you when you have another look at this scenario.

Cheers,
Gordon
01-31-2013, 04:44 AM,

Quote:My opponent Pawel agrees this is not a good scenario for the Allies

I already played this scenario as Axis some time earlier and I agree with that , if they react strongly and concentrate available forces against the U.S. landing troops this scenario becomes a really big challenge for the Allied player.