• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

.PDT values in PzC
11-27-2012, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 04:59 AM by JDR Dragoon.)
RE: .PDT values in PzC
Thanks. The reason why the values are 0% for Bunker Probability and Night Disruption in B45, M43 and M44 is probably because the scenarios here have not been modified to include the new values.

So, Kharkov 43 and Tunisia 43, anybody?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-27-2012, 04:57 PM,
Kharkov '43:

Digging-In: 10% per turn
Bunker Prob: 5% per turn
Night Move Disruption: 0%
Mine Prob: 5% per turn

Tunisia '43:

Digging-In: 20% per turn
Bunker Prob: 1.5% per turn
Night Move Disruption: 30%
Mine Prob: 15% per turn
Send this user an email
11-27-2012, 05:16 PM,
These values really seem all over the map, they seemed to be selected on the basis of play balance rather than realism. And all of these games with 0% Night Move Disruption need to be fixed, but I guess that is easy enough via the parameter editor.

But what happens if one player's pdt file includes a 60% NMD factor, but the other's has 0%?
11-27-2012, 09:25 PM,
both players have to use the same pdt. Or the game will not be unfair-so get the pdt files straight on the first turn. And everything is about balance. You cannot allow the allies to build bunkers in a 20 turn bulge game
11-27-2012, 09:40 PM,
Excellent. Yes, the values do seem a bit different, but then again might represent either real differences in terrain. Navigating across the desert of Tunisia at night might be a lot easier than navigating across the plains of the SSSR, I don´t know ;-). But yeah, they are most likely adjusted according to play-balance.

But anyway, nice to know. Thanks everybody.
Send this user an email
11-27-2012, 10:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 11:27 PM by Strela.)
(11-27-2012, 04:57 PM)vsadek Wrote: Kharkov '43:

Digging-In: 10% per turn
Bunker Prob: 5% per turn
Night Move Disruption: 0%
Mine Prob: 5% per turn

Please note that we changed the parameter file for Kharkov '43 in the new 'Variant 1' scenarios to the following (this was done to match Moscow '42, which was under development at the time);

1. PDT file : Foot speed dropped back to 4 (from 5). This will slow all German motorized units and will prevent two step movement. I know people would prefer faster Soviet movement but the current rate is historical and some of the below changes fix up some of the loopholes.

2. PDT File : Bunker probability is .5%

3. PDT File : Night move disruption is set at 60%.

4. PDT File : Rubble creation has been doubled to 10,000. Most PzC games use 1,000 as the base value.

5. PDT File : Unit Recovery loss is now set to 0% for both sides (see OOB below)

6. PDT File : Wired bridges are in play with a 20% chance for both small and large bridges. NOTE : Only bridges on rivers are wired, all others (streams etc) will not blow. This should allow VST to work properly.

7. PDT File : Range effect modifier is now 1.5 (from 3). This increases the emphasis on ranged fire.

8. PDT File : Various movement rates adjusted. Particularly Cav/Ski in forest and motorised in villages.

9. OOB File: Replacement rate set to 1% for both sides. This is a key change as it is impacted by supply levels (if it is less than 50), rather than by quality.

Digging in was dropped to 5% (from 10%) & mine probability were unchanged (5%). Please note that the bunker build percentage was way to high and was resulting in bunkers being built on the critical river crossings and stopping the Soviets cold.

In my experience, the PDT can have a very substantial impact on the game and requires a lot of play testing to ensure it reflects the historical situation.
11-28-2012, 07:36 AM,
Excellent discussion gentlemen. Excellent!

Taffy
11-28-2012, 07:31 PM,
I would caution against any meddling with the parameter data while leaving the victory conditions unaltered. If anyone finds a good set of PDT (with regards to historical play), combined with revised victory conditions, I bet most of us would appreciate it heaps if you share it with us.
12-02-2012, 08:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 08:39 AM by Dog Soldier.)
JDR Dragoon,

Each game in the series needs different pdt values for the aspects you are considering. raiser's posts are the most insightful.

A 'standard' setting for all pdt's retroactively does not make any sense. There are 22 PzC and a half dozen or so MC I think.

That said, if someone has the time to look into this it might be interesting to retrofit with specific values for a patch. Be warned. To get to the right levels for small, medium and large scenarios multiple pdt's maybe required. No doubt, months of play testing would be required also for each title retrofitted to get these values right.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-02-2012, 10:47 AM,
Bunker building ability should vary by geography. It seems to me that in the Ardennes, with plenty of trees for logs, engineers could better build bunkers than on the Steppes or in the desert.