• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A couple of questions on the game engine mechanics ...
11-28-2012, 06:30 PM,
A couple of questions on the game engine mechanics ...
I was to ask those below for quite some time, but didn't get round to before for some reason:

1.In ranged weapons - is there a code that causes the effectiveness of fire decrease over a greater distance?Is the arty less efficient if the shells are to cover a longer way to their targets?

2. About the aircraft losses - everybody knows that with direct airstrikes run, the ground anti-air defences damage or shoot down the flying planes. However, certain missions get intercepted by the SAMs or the oppossing force air power. In the previous case there is a message in the interface about that number of machines shot down. Do the aircraft suffer losses, damages/diruption while being intercepted yet before striking the ground targets?I have never been able to trace that by means of direct observation even though I struggle to get a grip of what and with what number I happen to have at my disposal ina certain theater?

3. If ground unit or subunit - men or vehicles or arty - gets wiped by by the assault of the OpFor or suffers destruction by fire, but is not isolated, are all of the men and equipment present there lost in their entirety - killed, destroyed, incapacitated, taken POW - or a certain proportion is returned to the replacement pool? Some of them might filter back to the friendly positions and be regained for the purpose of future combat use.

That much so far.
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2012, 07:43 PM,
RE: A couple of questions on the game engine mechanics ...

1. For direct fire units, yes there is an entry in the parameter file that determines degradation with range. There is no impact on indirect fire (as there should be) due to range.
  2. All displayed losses or disuption to the air unit is factored in before the final attack against the ground unit is made. You can only see the status of your aircraft (ie. number of planes) when they again become available in the air dialog.
  3. The specific mechanism for this is the recovery / replacement percentage that is built into either the parameter file or OOB file. This is different to reinforcements that are built into each scenario.

David
11-28-2012, 08:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM by JDR Dragoon.)
RE 2:

-No, aircraft that are intercepted or aborted due to Interceptors/SAMs do not suffer any ill effects but are merely "spent" and have to spend some time before they become available again (how much depends on the .pdt files).

Re 3:

-Yes, a unit that is wiped out is completely lost and will not reappear. Do not lose units, especially in the longer scenarios, since early losses will tend to "snowball".
Send this user an email
11-28-2012, 09:17 PM,
I hope it is possible to chime in with an additional question: if the replacement rate is something like 1%, but a unit has only 10 vehicles, how do replacements work?
12-02-2012, 06:57 AM,
(11-28-2012, 08:59 PM)JDR Dragoon Wrote: RE 2:

-No, aircraft that are intercepted or aborted due to Interceptors/SAMs do not suffer any ill effects but are merely "spent" and have to spend some time before they become available again (how much depends on the .pdt files).

Not all air missions in the game are 'intercepted'. The game is also accounting for the missions that cannot positively find the target to drop their load on or misidentify the target and drop the load on a empty field.
Happened more often in PzC than in Mc, but both use the same dynamics.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-02-2012, 03:25 PM,
(11-28-2012, 09:17 PM)76mm Wrote: I hope it is possible to chime in with an additional question: if the replacement rate is something like 1%, but a unit has only 10 vehicles, how do replacements work?
So 1% of 10 would be 10% - so it would have a 1 in 10 chance of a replacement arriving. Almost everything in the game is calculated this way, and the docs will generally state how it works if not this way.

Rick

[Image: exercise.png]