• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Demo mines in SB WW1
11-25-2012, 08:07 PM,
Demo mines in SB WW1
Hi,
Does anyone know where these are discussed in the manual?

They have a range zero, so my men need to sit on top of them to detonate them, and then, when they do detonate..... everything in an impressively wide radius is wiped out...except for my men who were sitting on top of the explosives and are completely unhurt??

Presumably these represent the massive trench mines used in WW1, having the men sit on top of the explosives to detonate them seems a little odd, even more odd is that they, at the epicentre of this massive blast, survive unscathed!

Wouldnt it be more realistic to have them detonated from a much longer range?

or am I missing something here?

( incidentally, my great grandfather, as a former coal miner, was involved in placing some of these so I have particular interest in them!)
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. It is impolite."
Napoleon I
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2012, 11:34 PM,
RE: Demo mines in SB WW1
Which scenario did you find them in?
11-26-2012, 01:45 AM,
(11-25-2012, 11:34 PM)Compass Rose Wrote: Which scenario did you find them in?

I didn't find a scenario with them in, I found them in the oob editor.
Napoleon I
11-26-2012, 01:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012, 02:01 AM by Volcano Man.)
IIRC, there is a detonator and you don't have to be in the same hex, but unfortunately I have forgotten how that works (I think the detonator has a radius(?)). In any case that is all experimental and I never used it, and apparently left it in the game by accident, but I am pretty sure I had it working at one time without the need of a unit right on top of it.

So really I guess the answer is that you will have to experiment with the detonator and read in the user and oob editor manuals as you are treading in the (mostly) unknown and experimental. Eek
Send this user an email
11-26-2012, 04:36 AM,
Wouldn't it kind of be like the Borgward IV in Red Victory?

Quote:The Borgward IV, officially designated Schwerer Ladungsträger Borgward B IV (heavy explosive carrier Borgward B IV), was a German remote-controlled demolition vehicle used in World War II.

Dennis had them on one of our battles and he used them to breech the wire
and mine fields. Cry
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
11-26-2012, 04:42 AM,
I never seen one before! Chair Hide
11-26-2012, 04:45 AM,
I believe that the rational for this weapon is more like an IED than a trench mine. They have been part of the series since at least Soviet Afghan War. As Ed mentioned, there is a detonator. To explode the mine, you fire the detonator. I don't recall what happens if there is more than one mine; maybe they all go boom!

You could simulate a trench mine by increasing the lethality and radius (how many hexes the mine would affect) of the mine and the range of the detonator in the data editor. It could have a huge impact on the units occupying that area, but it wouldn't affect the terrain unfortunately.

Jeff
11-26-2012, 04:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012, 06:06 AM by Volcano Man.)
(11-26-2012, 04:45 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: You could simulate a trench mine by increasing the lethality and radius (how many hexes the mine would affect) of the mine and the range of the detonator in the data editor. It could have a huge impact on the units occupying that area, but it wouldn't affect the terrain unfortunately.

Ah yes, I think that is how I set them up, as a massive power IED with a large radius and detonated by a detonator. IIRC, if you have more than one of these in the detonator range then using the detonator will explode one at random, and they you can fire the detonator again for another one (and so on), but I could be wrong. I was going to use it for another Messines scenario but never got around to it, not to mention it probably wouldn't be much fun to just blow up all the helpless Germans and then mop up. That said, maybe the mine could be fun in a larger scenario where ONE appears in a random place.
Send this user an email
11-26-2012, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012, 04:58 AM by Compass Rose.)
Boy, that be a nasty surprise for the enemy! Yikes2
12-02-2012, 01:21 AM,
Thanks for that chaps, will have to see how I might make use of these!

Napoleon I