• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

new PC
12-08-2013, 06:31 AM,
new PC
Hi guys,
I got a new PC and am transferring over my games. Rather than do new installs and updates, I just cut and pasted them using an external drive. I tested MG and Bulge, they work, but Kharkov asks for a Serial Number and Tunisia failed to start because of a config problem. Since those two were direct downloads from Tiller, how do I get new installs?
Of course, I am asking JT Software but I figured I'd ask you all here, too.

Thanks
Bob
Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2013, 06:54 AM,
RE: new PC
and as I test other games (B45, D85), they ask for the CD in a drive location I no longer have. Alright, how do I get around that? Do I have to re-install and update ever game?
12-08-2013, 09:11 PM,
I believe there are registry keys written during installation, so yes, reinstall will work.
12-09-2013, 01:58 AM,
Older games that used CDs will work with the cut and paste method, don't need the registry key set up to run. Not sure about the download types. If you still have your old gaming PC you can find the serial number for the newer games in the 'About' section under the help menu when the game is running (or get it from Tiller software support.)
12-09-2013, 02:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 02:07 AM by Lowlander.)
I use a external drive every month to save everything loaded on my PC including windows etc.
This is because all my John Tiller games are modded to the hilt.

I changed to a new PC with windows 7 about 2 years back, and I just installed the two complete games folders, mods and all straight onto my new machine.
Installed thus OS(C:)/HPS Simulation and John Tiller Software. I.E two folders containing all the HPSSIMS or JOHN TILLER GAMES.

To run these games I use this method
Hold down the windows key ( third from left bottom of keyboard) then press R,
In the dialog box use the browse button to navigate to the game Exe file
Double click and select OK

Works OK no glitches or graphic problems, never had any problems whatsoever.
12-09-2013, 02:13 AM,
(12-09-2013, 02:03 AM)Lowlander Wrote: I use a external drive every month to save everything loaded on my PC including windows etc.

Do you use JSGME?

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...#pid382526

If not, you could be saving yourself a ton of spare drive space and cutting down on the required transfer time of coping and saving files since you would only need to copy you "MODS" folder for each title. Smile
12-09-2013, 03:29 AM,
I've said it before and I will say it again. The best thing one can do is purchase an external HD and install all your games on there. If your puter goes down, all you have to do is plug into another puter and everything on your external is still the same, just take off playing. If your puter doesn't recognize the external as new hardware, you will most likely hae to replace the power cord for the external. No transfers necessary.
12-09-2013, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2013, 11:43 PM by Lowlander.)
(12-09-2013, 02:13 AM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(12-09-2013, 02:03 AM)Lowlander Wrote: I use a external drive every month to save everything loaded on my PC including windows etc.

Do you use JSGME?

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...#pid382526

If not, you could be saving yourself a ton of spare drive space and cutting down on the required transfer time of coping and saving files since you would only need to copy you "MODS" folder for each title. Smile

I have used JSGME in the past with other games.

Plus I told a little lie, or as the politician would say " I was economical with the truth " I only copy the folders I have altered over the past month using the drag and drop method.
I don't want to lose the family pics etc.

I use a 500G portable drive.
12-12-2013, 07:04 AM,
(12-09-2013, 03:29 AM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I've said it before and I will say it again. The best thing one can do is purchase an external HD and install all your games on there. If your puter goes down, all you have to do is plug into another puter and everything on your external is still the same, just take off playing. If your puter doesn't recognize the external as new hardware, you will most likely hae to replace the power cord for the external. No transfers necessary.

This is exactly what I did, and when I switched out computers I still needed to get serial numbers for the new, DL-only games. I now save these numbers in a file -- on my external hard drive (in the HPS folder, of course).