• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Moscow '42 Files Update (as at Jan 23rd, 2013)
11-25-2012, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-23-2013, 07:02 PM by Strela.)
b_Exclamation Mark  Moscow '42 Files Update (as at Jan 23rd, 2013)
Hello All,

Like all releases there are items that are found post release that require clarification and correction. I am setting this thread up to be the official 'latest' update to files for Moscow '42 until an official patch is released.

This update is as at January 23rd, 2013.

The attached weather.zip is OPTIONAL. It reduces visibility to 2 hexes in the period Dec 6th - Dec 14th. This is to ensure fixed unts are not released. Please rename your original weather.dat file before downloading and unzipping the attached.

The attached Update zip has the following fixs (new items in BOLD) It includes all the fixes from prior patches;

1. Corrected Klin map for double labels at Moscow
  2. General Heinrici reinstated to his appropriate rank in the Winter OB
  3. 61st Army reinforcements included in the December & Moscow '42 Grand Campaigns
  4. Withdrawals now in chronological order in the December & Moscow '42 Grand Campaigns
  5. New rocket values for Soviet Guards Mortars in both the Winter & Summer scenarios
  6. LV Korp has it's command range reset from 15 to 40 in the Summer OB. All other Korps have been confirmed as correct
  7. Global supply values adjusted in 15 scenarios (predominantly Fall Kreml). Both sides now have a maximum global supply value of 90
  8. 112th & 146th Tank Brigades (both 16th Army) now release on the same schedule as the other forward Tank Brigades - June 28, 12pm

Most items are self explanatory.

The 61st Army enters as reinforcements late in December 1941.

With the revelation of a minimum/maximum range for Rocket units we have gone back and reviewed all values. The hard and soft values for Soviet rockets had been reduced in all prior games based on the McNamara values due to the 'inability' to put in a minimum range value. It was deemed that they were more flexible than they were in real life and were hence reduced in effectiveness. With the ability to put in a minimum range these values have been reinstated.

For example the most prevalent Rocket type in game (132mm) goes from a hard attack value of 4 to 7. The soft value goes from 25 to 44. The proviso though is that the effectve range is between 4 and 8 hexes. Everything from 3 hexes down is unable to be targeted. This is even reflected in the range shading as per the below image;

[Image: RocketRange.jpg]

In the above example only one unit of the spotted three can be targeted.

None of the German Nebelwerfer units are impacted. The minimum range of these weapons was 1km or less. In the bulk of cases the Soviet rockets are sited appropriately with a few minor exceptions. With so many scenarios to update if a change in position is made, I will leave players to reposition the Guards Mortars if they feel they need to.

All files are in the attached zip and ahould be unzipped into your Moscow '42 directory and files overwritten.

David

Attached Files
.zip   weather.zip (Size: 575 bytes / Downloads: 70)
.zip   Moscow _\'42 Update 2013_01_23.zip (Size: 741.04 KB / Downloads: 69)
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2012, 07:35 PM,
RE: Moscow '42 Files Update
David, thank you once again for this quick fixes. I really do appreciate all the efforts you yourself and the rest of the team did, first, to put this PzC title together and now in supporting it.

Regards
Send this user an email
11-25-2012, 07:46 PM,
With such hugely complicated projects as these it is inevitable that there will always be a few post release fix's no matter how diligent the designer/testers are, so thanks to David for posting these updates ASAP, obviously they will also be included in the first M42 official update whenever that should appear. Smile
11-25-2012, 08:41 PM,
Top quality costumer service. I feel your background here!.
Keep them coming.

César
11-25-2012, 08:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 08:44 PM by ComradeP.)
Thanks Strela.

That soft value increase for the Katyusha is quite impressive, although as long as you're targeting units in some sort of cover, the casualties remain reasonable. Still, there's a chance units will be blown away in a few turns by massed Katyusha fire (one of the main challenges the Axis player faces remains massed artillery fire, even though the Soviets don't even have all that many artillery units). The minimum range also doesn't seem to be all that much of a handicap as long as the Soviets are attacking.
11-25-2012, 09:28 PM,
Thanks for these great updates.

You earlier mentioned that you might have a fix for the 61st Army problem in ongoing games. Is there one or do you advise a re-start?

11-25-2012, 09:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 11:23 PM by Strela.)
(11-25-2012, 08:44 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Thanks Strela.

That soft value increase for the Katyusha is quite impressive, although as long as you're targeting units in some sort of cover, the casualties remain reasonable. Still, there's a chance units will be blown away in a few turns by massed Katyusha fire (one of the main challenges the Axis player faces remains massed artillery fire, even though the Soviets don't even have all that many artillery units). The minimum range also doesn't seem to be all that much of a handicap as long as the Soviets are attacking.

Hi ComradeP,

It's not such an issue in the winter scenarios as all the rocket units are battalions (8 launchers) bar one. Its more of an issue in the summer scenarios and as you pointed out, a big challenge for the Soviet as they are on the defensive. Also please note the equivalent German Nebelwerfer has a soft attack value of 41 and no minimum range, so just as effective and much more usable.

Finally your right re. cover vs in the open. Rockets for either side are murder if your not in terrain. I tested the new values and it's not dramatically different unless you are in the aforementioned clear....

David
(11-25-2012, 09:28 PM)bdtj1815 Wrote: Thanks for these great updates.

You earlier mentioned that you might have a fix for the 61st Army problem in ongoing games. Is there one or do you advise a re-start?

The only fix is me creating a 'special' one off scenario for you based on your save game file. This will work if you are playing the AI, but not vs a player using encrypted saves.

Its not that difficult, but has limitations. I am happy to do that for players who have already invested time in the aforementioned campaigns (against the AI).

David
11-25-2012, 11:30 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2012, 11:34 PM by ComradeP.)
Quote:Also please note the equivalent German Nbelwerfer has a soft attack value of 41 and no minimum range, so just as effective and much more usable.

"Equivalent" in terms of what? The 150mm Nebelwerfers have a soft attack value of 25, only the Raketenwerfer have a soft value of 41 and those are 30cm weapons, substantially larger than what the Soviet are using at this point in the war.
11-26-2012, 03:34 AM,
OK, I've installed the new files and started a new grand campaign. But before I get too far in I want to confirm that everything is correct, and I don't see the 61st Army specified as one of my reinforcements, although it is shown in the OOB. How can I double-check this? I don't want to have to restart again...
11-26-2012, 04:15 AM,
91st Cav Division is the first formation showing up under the scheduled tab on Dec 28th 6am. The remaining units follow after that until the end of December.

David