• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Arctic Front: Fury at Viborg Bay (3 x 3 Team Game)
11-20-2012, 06:20 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2014, 07:44 PM by Crossroads.)
a_Arrow  Arctic Front: Fury at Viborg Bay (3 x 3 Team Game)
Work is progressing nicely on the final part (June 20 1944) of the Leningrad Front's 1944 Vyborg Offensive trilogy Helmet Smile

[Image: jtcsscenarioplan.jpg]

The three sectors of the 3 x 3 team game represent the arrows marked with (2), (3), and (4) in the above map.

Chronologically, the scenario is in the middle of the trilogy.

Prior scenarios:
** Across River Vuoksi LWM (July 4 1944) [Marked as (5) in above map]
** Bitter Kuuterselka LWM (June 14 1944) [Marked as (1) in above map]

...other LWM scenarios:
** Crusader's at Hango LWM
** Delaying Action At Ylimaa LWM
** Enforcing The Line LWM

According to my own house rules, the newest scenario needs now to start with "F". Can't think of anything...

** Face-Off At Vyborg ...or
** Fury at Vyborg Bay (sounds like a proper Pirate movie!) ...or
** Fight for the VKT Position ...or
** Forward the ...err ... Vodka Rations? ...

Whatever the name, the OOB is pretty much completed, and the work on the map can begin.

The three Soviet players get (elements of) an Army Corps each, from West to East:

- 59th AC (Vyborg Bay "island hopping" operations),
- 108th AC (City of Vyborg and beyond), and
- 30 Guards AC (Eastern pincer towards Tali and Ihantala)

The three Finnish players get (elements of) a Division each, again from West to East:
- German 122."Greif" Division,
- 20. Bde + IR 61, and
- 18. and 6. D, with
- one division (Armoured) in reserve, especially as the center area is weakly defended.

Some serious downsizing (- 30% to -40%) to troop intensity to take place, in order to keep things playable and fun.

Area of opearations will be 35 km x 35 km, or 140 x 140 hexes, to keep it playable... Although at the moment I am considering adding a couple of clicks to width, to have a bit more area for maneuver in the East, where the heaviest action will likely take place.

I will improve the actual infrastructure a bit, to allow for strategic alternatives, in comparison to simply re-playing the historical course of actions.

Google Earth, with three layers of maps to go with the hex layout...

i) Google Earth
ii) Large scale general map of the area
iii) Google Map view of a smaller area of Vyborg Bay
iv) A couple of digitized 1:100 000 maps from 1938 on top of that
v) a 140x140 hex grid, although I would need to upgrade that to a 160x140 map.

I also have access to digitized 1:20 000 maps from 1938, to get Vyborg area properly implemented in detail! Of course, I will not go into that detail at forested areas to get this done in reasonable time.

[Image: GE-1.jpg]

Map making turns out to be great fun again!

Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply
11-21-2012, 11:25 AM,
RE: Under Construction - ** Face-Off at Vyborg LWM (3 x 3 Team Scenario)
Hey Battle Kat

This just popped in my mind...

"For the Love of Life!"

ItBCigar5
11-21-2012, 08:43 PM,
Thanks ItB!

The scenario will still remain in making for several weeks or months (especially as the map keeps getting bigger...), so keep those ideas coming in Salute
Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-24-2012, 04:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012, 05:02 AM by Crossroads.)
OK, I am done with most sea hexes. That was a lot of sea... Help4

Although I will re-do some areas of coast line again, to make sure they are right. Whip Then the key islands next.

160x140 hexes... That's almost 25 000 hexes to fill with terrain, set height etc! You would not do this if it would not be fun Helmet Smile

Huib's Google Earth -method is explained here for those who want to understand what's goin on here: https://www.theblitz.club/articles/Artic...ies/cid=12

This upcoming 3x3 team game should hopefully turn out to be a blast with an amphibious operation at one sector, fierce city fighting in the next one (well, not historically, but certainly possible here), and a grand scale pincer operation through the Karelian wilderness in the third area.

Salute

Visit us at CSLegion.com
11-26-2012, 06:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 04:07 AM by Crossroads.)
Lots of hexes... But so far so good! I've started with the key areas, with famous battlegrounds, to do them in more detail...

Read Read2 Write

[Image: Vyborg-2012-11-26.jpg]

Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-30-2012, 04:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013, 07:30 AM by Crossroads.)
[Image: vyborgbaymap_zps34647637.png]
165x155 hexes, ie. 41,25km x 38,75km

Elements of Finnish IV Army Corps and Leningrad Front 21st Army, including elements of:

Western sector - Viborg Bay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_V...%281944%29

- 409. 410. and 411. Inf.Rgts of German 122.Division 'Greif'
- 303. Sturmgeschutze Bde
- I/22. Coastal Rgt
- Cavalry Bde's URR and HRR Bns

- 59th AC's 124. and 224. Rifle D. (Other with 2, other with 3 Rgts)
- 59. Corp Artillery Rgt
- 384. Tank Battalion
- Amphibious transports

IV AC: 6 + ca. 3 bn
LF: 15 bn

Middle sector - Viborg and Tienhaara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tienhaara

- 20th Bde (lacked supplies and AT weapons: infantry´41)
- 61. Inf.Rgt
- 200. Inf.Rgt (Estonian Volunteers Rgt)
- I Bn of 3rd Bde
- I Bn of 13.Inf Rgt of 17.D

- 108th AC's 314. and 372. Rifle D. (2 Rgts each)
- 108. Corp Artillery Rgt
- 112. Heavy SU Rgt
- 54th Light SU Rgt
- 26th Guards Sep. Heavy Tank Bde
- 30th Guards Tank Bde
- 260th Guards Tank Rgt

IV AC: ca.11 bn
LF: 12 bn (LF's Viborg Bay forces expected to hit this area as well)

Eastern sector - Tali-Ihantala
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tali-Ihantala

- 48. Inf Rgt and 28. Independent Bn of 18.D
- 12. Inf Rgt of 6.D
- 50. Inf Rgt of 11.D (2 Bn only)

- 45. and 64. D of 30th Guards AC (2 Rgt each)
- 30. Guards Corp Artillery Rgt
- 1238th Light SU Rgt
- 397th Guards Separate Heavy SU Rgt
- 152. Tank Rgt
- 27th Guards Separate Heavy Tank Rgt

IV AC: ca. 10 bn
LF: 12 bn

Axis Reserves:
- 2., 3., 4. and 5. Jaeger Bn of Jaeger Bde of Armored Division
- Tank Bde of Armored Division (actually already pretty much deployed into the V and T-I sectors)
- Assault Gun Bn of Armored D.
- 14th Heavy Artillery Rgt of Armored D.

IV AC: 4 bn

--

V+T-I
IV AC: 17 bn
LF: 24 bn + VB forces(?)

TOTAL
IV AC: ca. 33 bn (edit: was missing two of 122.D. Bns)
LF: 39 bn + a clear advantage on AFVs (30 vs 56 AFV pltns)

--

As a new thing I thought I would give the teams free hands as how to deploy to battle. Especially Allied side has pretty much total freedom to set up. No reinforcements, no fixed units. Everything available immediately. But they need to last 40 turns...
Visit us at CSLegion.com
12-30-2012, 11:10 PM,
RE: First tests - ** Fury at Vyborg Bay LWM (3 x 3 Team Scenario)
HOLY CRAP!!!! Nice map there, Petri! Wish I didn't have so much going on, would like to get in on this! When will it be ready?
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
12-31-2012, 02:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2013, 03:04 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: First tests - ** Fury at Vyborg Bay LWM (3 x 3 Team Scenario)
Lots of hot seat testing done! It is good now... I hope to have a team in place to battle it out now as we speak Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-03-2013, 11:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: New scenario: ** Fury at Vyborg Bay LWM (3 x 3 Team Scenario)

[Image: rocker_projectors_katyusha_near_viborg_l...8b821a.jpg]
Picture: Katyusha rocket artillery in action near Vyborg (RU) / Viipuri (FIN) / Viborg (SWE).

** Fury at Viborg Bay EF:FB

[i]Complexity: 10
Turns: 45
Modified complexity: 10 * 45 = 450
Size modifier: 9

First side: Axis

Visibility 7

Allied Air 24; Ammo 80; Smoke 50
Axis Air 24; Ammo 80; Smoke 20
AI Allied 75; Axis 35

Major Loss 4250; Minor Loss 5500; Minor Win 7250; Major Win 8750

[Karelian Isthmus, 120 km North from Leningrad, Finland.] [H2H] [HIS] [GD] [ALL : N AF: N VV]

On June 20 1944 the defence of the Karelian Isthmus continued to be on a brink of a disaster. The seemingly unstoppable armored Soviet formations continued their advance deeper into Karelian Isthmus, towards the city of Viborg and the excellent road network into inner Finland therefrom.

Worried about the quickly worsening overall situation at Baltic sector, Hitler decided to lift the arms embargo he had ordered on Finland in the beginning of the year. Soon, the Stuka's and FW-190s of the Flight Detachment Kuhlmey made their presence known, while joining the battle were the German 120. infantry division together with the 303. StuG Rgt.

While the retreating Finnish units had managed to avoid encirclement, the material losses had been high. With reinforcements now arriving to Isthmus in number from quieter sectors of Eastern Karelia, and panzerfausts and schrecks available in great numbers for the first time, the shell shocked defenders started to again believe in their capabilities of stopping the Soviet advance.

Yet, the Leningrad Front commander Govorov remained confident. The fast moving offensive was precisely on schedule. He repeated his order for relentless pressure on the retreating enemy, certain that the final encirclement of the Finnish III and IV Army Corps would take place any day now.

(Players note: Access to 'suspensions bridges' spanning a length of a full hex can be blocked by using a successful Damage Wall or Bridge command on the medium bridges located over a hex side with a deep river at either end of each suspension bridge. Access can be restored through successful Build Lt Hexside Bridge or Lay Vehicle Bridge commands over the same hex sides.)
(Players note: Loading Crewed Boats and Pontoon Ferrys into trucks requires an Engineer unit in the hex. First load Engineers into the boat/ferry, then load the boat/ferry with engineers on it into a truck. This results with the boat/ferry being loaded in a truck, and engineers again unloaded in the hex.)
(Axis player note: Axis side is provided with Construction engineers for creating trenches from any improved positions in place, to simulate the late minute efforts for strengthening the neglected VKT-line positions.)

[** Requires players to install East Front: Forgotten Battles Mod version 1.35 or newer **]
[Scandinavian Terrain sub mod recommended to be enabled when playing this scenario.]
[Can be played as 3x3 team game. Allied players: A corps each. Axis players: A division each, with Armored Division as a common reserve unit.]

Historical notes - Snippets from Wikipedia:

Viborg and Tienhaara

Soviet 1944 offensive had started on June 10, 1944 and in matter of days broke through of the fortified Finnish defense lines in southern Karelian Isthmus. (See: **Bitter Kuuterselkä LWM)

On June 20 the advancing Soviet forces were already literally on the gates of Viipuri (Viborg), Finland's second largest city. The relatively inexperienced Finnish 20th Brigade had been transferred to defend the city, with strict orders from High Command to prevent the city from falling to enemy. However, it was still inadequately supplied after its transport, and lacked effective anti-tank weapons, and mostly had only the ammunition they carried with them.

Not prepared for Soviet armored assault, led by 108th Corps' 90th Rifle Division supported by 260th Separate Heavy Breakthrough Tank Regiment and 1238th Self-propelled Gun Regiment, the first phase of the Leningrad Front's Vyborg offensive was soon completed. The capture of the city only after a brief battle shocked the whole Finland, as the defending 20th Infantry Brigade ran out of artillery shells by noon, and soon after fled the city to the safety of the northern shores of Kivisillansalmi Bay, destroying all bridges behind them.

After capturing Viborg the lead elements of the Soviet 21st Army attempted to push forward along the main road leading north from Viborg but strong artillery support, narrow area of operations, and very favorable terrain made it possible for the Finnish 61st Infantry Regiment to hold Soviet advance forcing the Soviet 21st Army to look for a more suitable location for breaching the Finnish VKT-line.

Tali - Ihantala

The Soviet forces next attempted to press on with the offensive at Tali, some 15 km east of Viborg. The Soviet army tried a breakthrough along both sides of Lake Leitimojärvi but was stopped after advancing only a few kilometers. However, Soviet tanks from the 27th Tank Regiment were able to force their way to the vital Portinhoikka crossroads.

The Finns were able to organize a counterattack with the reserves of the 18th Division, parts of the 17th Division and some battle groups from the 4th Division. Later that afternoon the Finnish armored division joined the battle and managed to push the Soviet attackers back to their starting point.

After bringing fresh troops to the front the 21st Army managed to push Finnish lines all the way to Ihantala but failed to create any breakthroughs to go any further. Soviet forces were then ordered to cease offensive operations and take up defensive positions as Stavka redeployed forces back to other fronts.

The battle fought over the area is considered to be the largest battle in the Nordic countries history.

Viborg Bay

Though Soviet advance forces captured Viborg on June 20, the main offensive got stuck into stubborn Finnish defense in both the Tienhaara and Tali-Ihantala region. Despite heavy fighting and use of fresh reserves, the Finnish VKT-line bend but did not break, forcing the Leningrad Front again to seek alternate routes past the Finnish defenses.

What followed was roughly the same plan as in the Winter War and called for a crossing of the Viborg Bay: the 59th Army was ordered to capture the islands dominating the Viborg Bay and to perform an amphibious landing on the opposing shore.

In costly battles the 124th and 224th Rifle Divisions of the Soviet 59th Army managed to capture the islands dominating the Viborg Bay, but failed to gain bridgehead on the northern shore of the bay.

Across River Vuoksi

With both the initial attempt at Tienhaara and Tali-Ihantala as well as the crossing at Viborg Bay blocked, the Leningrad Front now turned its attention to the still undecided battles raging at Äyräpää-Vuosalmi region (see: **Across River Vuoksi LWM).

Visit us at CSLegion.com
01-09-2013, 04:43 PM,
RE: New scenario: ** Fury at Vyborg Bay LWM (3 x 3 Team Scenario)
I hope this scenario would have been completed by now. Would love to explore more about this and have a look over. Any links?