• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Hot Key Assignment?
11-18-2012, 09:01 PM,
Hot Key Assignment?
I guess there is no way to change hotkey assignment for Panzer Campaigns? I did a search but didn't see anything.

There are many hotkeys for things I never use (anything 3D-related) and no hotkeys for things I use alot (the "show moved units" command); would be very nice to be able to assign our own.
Quote this message in a reply
11-19-2012, 04:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012, 04:50 AM by Liebchen.)
RE: Hot Key Assignment?
True, and this has been a recurring topic of discussion over the years, but Tiller's made it clear that this is a non-starter.

On the other hand, they have added buttons to the menu bar that weren't there before, such as the "show units in travel mode" button.
11-19-2012, 05:09 PM,
As far as I know hotkeys are hardcoded and therefore there is no way for users to customize them within game GUI.

76mm when you write „show moved units“ I presume you mean the Units Using Movement Points from the menu?
Send this user an email
11-19-2012, 05:43 PM,
(11-19-2012, 05:09 PM)vsadek Wrote: 76mm when you write „show moved units“ I presume you mean the Units Using Movement Points from the menu?

Yes, exactly, although I usually use it from the toolbar. The other thing I am now using a lot because of the low visibility is the Patrol toggle, and there is no toobar button for that, so I have to go to the menu every time, which is pain.

For the smaller scenarios the lack of customizable hot keys might not be a big deal (there just aren't as many clicks), but as the scenarios get monster-sized, it really becomes kind of a pain.

Another thing which is getting kind of irritating is having to click "OK" every time you commit a unit to an assault after received a useless message to the effect of "Assualt, unknown odds". Gee, thanks for the info!

I'd be curious to know how many players play using the various 3D viewing options, either figures or counters? I get a bit dizzy every time I look at the 3D map for more than about 30 seconds...
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM,

I didn't mind using the 3D counters and map in Normandy '44 as the front tended to flow east-west. I also liked the extra info right on the counter. But mostly, I use the 2D map (with zoom if the title has it), and only hit 3D to check out the contour's...as height advantage can be pretty large.
11-20-2012, 05:07 AM,
76mm, same as you I myself prefer 2D over 3D. And for the same reasons. Helmet Smile I would also like to have some more useful buttons on the toolbar. Some decisions were made very early in the design and that carries current constraints within GUI.

Does anybody have any experience using some of various keyboard remapping solutions? I am experimenting lately with this one:

AutoHotkey

Very powerful open-source scripting language and scripting engine.
Send this user an email
11-20-2012, 05:43 AM,
(11-19-2012, 06:56 PM)Liquid_Sky Wrote: But mostly, I use the 2D map (with zoom if the title has it), and only hit 3D to check out the contour's...as height advantage can be pretty large.

Ditto.......
11-20-2012, 12:29 PM,
Sounds like I need to look into this elevation stuff...
11-21-2012, 11:43 PM,
I am not an expert in these things but I am always keen in exploring new territories. Smile

As I wrote before, I am experimenting with AutoHotkey. I managed to assign hotkeys to toolbar buttons using this scripting language.

[Image: d427669c9bPzC_Hotkeys.png]

Ctrl+F - toggle Fixed Units
Ctrl+S - toggle Spotted Units
Ctrl+U - toggle Used Movement Points
Ctrl+D - toggle Disrupted or Broken Units
Ctrl+L - toggle Low Ammo or Fuel
Ctrl+T - highlight Travel Mode

This script is very simple and, strictly technically speaking, assigns mouse-click action on toolbar buttons to key combinations. This method is far from perfect with some downfalls when toolbar is not positioned in a top row but falls in a second row. This is often the case on lower resolution monitors or if you resize the GUI window in such manner manually.

You can also notice I used Ctrl+key combination. This is because almost all single key hotkeys are already used for other purposes and I didn’t want to override existing hotkey functionality.

Keep in mind I created this, first and foremost, for my own convenience. I will post this script, together with source code, so if anybody feels like trying it and found it useful, I’ll be happy.

Stay tuned! Wink
Send this user an email
11-22-2012, 12:42 AM,
vsadek, thanks, I am definitely interested in the script, I will have to look into AutoHotkey.

Do you know if it will work with items in the command menu as well as items on the toolbar? That would be great!