• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

difficulty attacking as Soviets in Moscow 42
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012, 10:33 AM by Volcano Man.)
RE: difficulty attacking as Soviets in Moscow 42
(11-16-2012, 09:05 AM)Strela Wrote:
(11-16-2012, 07:30 AM)ComradeP Wrote: Not sure if this is the right place to ask, considering the database came from elsewhere, but why are Guards units weaker in soft attack and assault than their regular Rifle division counterparts, and what does the higher hard attack value represent at this point in the war? AT rifles? If so, why don't they have a separate company per regiment/brigade like some of the Rifle brigades?

As far as the Guard values, Ed will have to confirm why the variance between the standard Rifle and Guard Battalion. We have a master McNamara database and they were taken from there. I would have argued that the inclusion of more smg would impact the soft value (lower), but that doesn't align with the assault value (should be higher).

Well, this issue has come up many times in the past. All I can say is that the infantry from the original game where McNamara database was present (Campaign Series) had them rated that way, and from what I remember, they had more anti-tank rifles at platoon level and therefore their hard attack power is 4x that of the regular rifle battalions, at the cost of 1 soft and 1 assault value. This doesn't mean that either one of them is "better" it just means that they are "different". By 1943, in the database and historically speaking, the guards infantry totally outclass regular rifle battalions in all respects, so essentially there is an evolution going on in 1941-43.

BTW, in the game in 1941 to 1942 this translates to guards infantry being a bit better at standing up against tanks in assaults, and probably a little better at taking bunkers. Their always higher quality makes up for the other two differences.

Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2012, 10:53 AM,
RE: difficulty attacking as Soviets in Moscow 42
Thanks Ed, makes sense. I wouldn't like to be thrown into an assault with an AT rifle in my hands!!
Quote this message in a reply