• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Several Moscow 42 Questions
11-12-2012, 06:38 AM,
RE: Couple of Moscow 42 Questions
(11-12-2012, 01:58 AM)76mm Wrote: 1) In Moscow 42 why do my ski troops move at the same rate in the snow as leg infantry? I thought they'd be much faster?

Most definitely because you need to be in T mode to benefit from skis. Otherwise their just on foot.

(11-12-2012, 01:58 AM)76mm Wrote: 2) I'm going a little crazy with road movement...if I highlight a stack in travel mode and drag it a few hexes down the road, I expect it to move down the road, but often it shoot off into a snowy field for no apparent reason. Using the A/I moves does not seem much better, and it seems to cause units to straggle all over the place. Any tips on this?

Road movement is limited by the road stacking limits. Try moving your units down the road one unit at a time. And if they're not in T mode, they won't get the benefit of the road.

(11-12-2012, 01:58 AM)76mm Wrote: 3) In general (not just in Moscow 42), how am I supposed to know when there is precipitation? I see that sometimes visibility is reduced for unknown reasons (precipitation?) and that there can be storms, but I guess that those represent major storms, not just a bit of rain?

In the info menu there is a weather button.

Limited visibility may be from precipitation or from fog.
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 07:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM by Aditia Holdem.)
76mm: About the annoying movement in your second question; I ALWAYS move my units with the red arrow icon activated. This greys out unreachable hexes for you at that time. I find that is the only way the AI will consistently move your units the most MP efficient way when you drag and drop. Otherwise the AI will often take the route that is the shortest route hex wise, not MP wise.

When moving to contact, make sure you click the little bullet icon, so your T-mode units have enough MP left to deploy.

Also, if you know the road stacking limit, you know how big the stack is you can move, no need to do them one at a time :)
11-12-2012, 10:51 PM,
Thanks everyone for the tips; I'm only 12 turns into the grand campaign, so hopefully any blunders I've made so far will be recoverable!

I've actually played Mius and Minsk 44 before this game, and it seems like my Sov units are much more fragile in this game--is it because the McNamara database (and thus Moscow 42) generally uses lower morale for Sov units? They are really getting chewed up against the German fortifications...

Also, I have to throw in at least one dumb question per post: in the winter grand campaign, many of my Sov units (rifle battalions, etc.) are dark brown rather than tan; as far as I can tell from the file directory structure, only NKVD units use dark brown counters, but most of these units do not in fact seem to be NKVD units. I'm using counter mods from other games in the series, and I'm wondering if I might have screwed something up in the process of installing these mods?
11-13-2012, 01:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012, 01:20 AM by Strela.)
Hi 76mm,

You're definitely ambitious diving into the Grand campaign straight away! The Soviets are best to avoid the bunkers etc and drive in sectors (north & south of Moscow) where the Germans are overextended and low on supply. Have a look at the area where 1st Shock Army & 30th Army are. In the Kalinin Front area you will butt heads there for a week unless you attack on a narrow frontage. The historical notes will give you a good idea on where to attack and how successful you will be. Also please note the Soviet strength is assaulting hexes, not ranged fire. You will overwhelm German units in the open if you can get a regiment or thereabouts rushing them at once!

As far as the dark brown vs tan units, they are not NKVD but Siberians. You haven't done anything wrong. The designers notes cover this off and you will note the Siberians are all C morale like the Guards. There is even a Siberian Guard unit that B morale - very rare Helmet Smile

We essentially used the NKVD nationality as we didn't want to go through the logisitics of creating a 'one time use' nationality. We did though wanted to allow them to be easily identifiable as they had such a significant impact on the campaign.

David

11-13-2012, 02:57 AM,
(11-12-2012, 10:51 PM)76mm Wrote: I've actually played Mius and Minsk 44 before this game, and it seems like my Sov units are much more fragile in this game--is it because the McNamara database (and thus Moscow 42) generally uses lower morale for Sov units? They are really getting chewed up against the German fortifications...

Keep in mind that the Soviets or 1942 were far less experienced and far more lightly armed than the Soviets of 1944.

Also, the Panzer Campaigns series generally rewards players for not assaulting fortifications where possible, since doing so is so costly. In Normandy is can't be helped, and also to some degree in the African games, but in the vast lands of Russia surely you can find a way around them? Helmet Wink
11-13-2012, 03:24 AM,
dont be assaulting no bunkas tll you get a big D on the boys inside of them...and make sure you leave those guys inside of them a way to retreat out or you going to be in for a long haul
11-13-2012, 04:08 AM,
(11-13-2012, 03:24 AM)raizer Wrote: dont be assaulting no bunkas tll you get a big D on the boys inside of them...and make sure you leave those guys inside of them a way to retreat out or you going to be in for a long haul

Yeah, I am trying to avoid the forts but I hardly have any troops over most of the front. They are gradually trickling in now. I didn't realize I needed to leave a retreat path, thought I should annihilate the fascists in place! Also, just for fun I turned on Delayed Disruption Reporting, seems more realistic.

Are there any sound mods for this game? We need one with the Russian "Uuuuuraaaa" when you launch an assualt, that would be cool.
11-13-2012, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012, 06:33 AM by Nitram Draw.)
It's pretty much impossible to avoid bunkers in this game. Since hardly any units except armour have any hard attack value at range you need to be smart in postitioning the few units that can disrupt them or just lucky with an artillery shot. The good thing there aren't a lot of reserves to plugs hole so if you can break through you can make some headway.
11-13-2012, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012, 08:34 AM by raizer.)
yah if you dont leave them a way out, by mistakenly using zocs to surround them, they wont be able to leave the bunkers-once you get them out, they are dead meat
11-13-2012, 10:18 AM,
I have to argue the opposite point on bunkers. Unless the defenders disrupt, they can't be pushed out of the bunker. If they do disrupt and can't retreat, they will suffer an extra 50% losses, and if isolated/high fatigue/out of command are unlikely to recover from disruption making it a matter of time before being wiped out.

Now if there were multiple defenders in the bunker, it could be better to push them out, as there is a better chance of at least one recovering from disruption, but generally the benefit of isolating them, thus increasing the odds of a disruption due to lower morale is higher than the chance to push the enemy out and then destroy them.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]