Several Moscow 42 Questions
11-11-2012, 01:22 AM,
RE: Couple of Moscow 42 Questions
^^^^unless your troops are French lol
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 01:58 AM,
A couple more questions:

1) In Moscow 42 why do my ski troops move at the same rate in the snow as leg infantry? I thought they'd be much faster?

2) I'm going a little crazy with road movement...if I highlight a stack in travel mode and drag it a few hexes down the road, I expect it to move down the road, but often it shoot off into a snowy field for no apparent reason. Using the A/I moves does not seem much better, and it seems to cause units to straggle all over the place. Any tips on this?

3) In general (not just in Moscow 42), how am I supposed to know when there is precipitation? I see that sometimes visibility is reduced for unknown reasons (precipitation?) and that there can be storms, but I guess that those represent major storms, not just a bit of rain?
11-12-2012, 02:31 AM,
(11-12-2012, 01:58 AM)76mm Wrote: A couple more questions:

1) In Moscow 42 why do my ski troops move at the same rate in the snow as leg infantry? I thought they'd be much faster?

2) I'm going a little crazy with road movement...if I highlight a stack in travel mode and drag it a few hexes down the road, I expect it to move down the road, but often it shoot off into a snowy field for no apparent reason. Using the A/I moves does not seem much better, and it seems to cause units to straggle all over the place. Any tips on this?

3) In general (not just in Moscow 42), how am I supposed to know when there is precipitation? I see that sometimes visibility is reduced for unknown reasons (precipitation?) and that there can be storms, but I guess that those represent major storms, not just a bit of rain?

1) This is just a guess however, have you tried to put the ski troops into "T" mode (travel mode)?

2) The only suggestion I can offer would be to advance your units 1 hex at a time, to make sure that your units follow the path you want them to.

3) Along the top of the game map you will see a drop down menu called "Info". Select it and the menu will open up and you will see "Weather" at the very bottom of it. Selecting this will produce a pop up window that will state what the weather conditions are and possibly tomorrow's weather also.

11-12-2012, 02:34 AM,
To 76mm concerning arty. Another thing you could do is after you fire all your arty, make your moves, bring the arty back up in case there are others able to fire because of a moved unit can spot now.
11-12-2012, 03:19 AM,
(11-12-2012, 01:58 AM)76mm Wrote: 2) I'm going a little crazy with road movement...if I highlight a stack in travel mode and drag it a few hexes down the road, I expect it to move down the road, but often it shoot off into a snowy field for no apparent reason. Using the A/I moves does not seem much better, and it seems to cause units to straggle all over the place. Any tips on this?
We have all been using "drag and drop" for years without any bugs surfacing, all i can say is that you need to be very careful about where you release the mouse button making sure it is in the destination hex you desired or do as CR suggested and highlight the units and move them one hex at a time. Smile
11-12-2012, 03:51 AM,
(11-12-2012, 02:31 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: 1) This is just a guess however, have you tried to put the ski troops into "T" mode (travel mode)?

Doh, I thought I had tried that without success, but I just tried again and the ski unit could move several hexes--that's more like it, thanks.

(11-12-2012, 02:31 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: 2) The only suggestion I can offer would be to advance your units 1 hex at a time, to make sure that your units follow the path you want them to.
Ugh. That's what I'm doing now, but even that doesn't seem to work well with stacks: If I have say three units in travel mode on a road, and try to drag to the whole stack, it can often move one hex, whereas if I highlight and move each unit separately, each of them can move several hexes, and end up in the same hex again. Am I doing something wrong?

Same with the A/I moves, they seem to really get units scattered around, am I doing something wrong? Maybe only set them destinations which are direcly along major roads, etc.?

(11-12-2012, 02:31 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: 3) Along the top of the game map you will see a drop down menu called "Info". Select it and the menu will open up and you will see "Weather" at the very bottom of it. Selecting this will produce a pop up window that will state what the weather conditions are and possibly tomorrow's weather also.

Yeah, I see ground conditions, visibility, and forcast but it does not seem to say anywhere "it is snowing" or "it is raining", etc. Just seems odd for a game with two-hour turns.
11-12-2012, 04:27 AM,
76mm, you can't move stacks totalling over the road limit down a road, the stack ignores the road limit and moves through whatever terrain will reach furthest. Move a single unit at a time, in travel mode, down roads. Also, try highlighting reachable hexes and drag to the furthest point that gets where you want to go, possibly. But don't move stacks down a road, it won't work.

The game doesn't track actual rain/snow, just the impact on visibilty and movement, as the conditions you mention state. Just how the game is, it probably could have precipitation conditions but it was designed without.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
11-12-2012, 05:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012, 05:06 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Ah now that makes more sense, as Rick says you are trying to move too many troops in T mode and exceeding the road T mode limit, if you do this the game engine ignores the road and moves all the units as if the road does not exist.

From the rules......

"Within each hex, stacking is measured in terms of total number of men, or equivalent. For stacking purposes, each vehicle or gun is considered to be the same as 10 men. The total stacking value in the current hex can be found in the center of the Terrain Info box by right-clicking in the Hex Info Area. Two stacking limits apply in the game. Both of these values can be found in the display of Parameter Data. The Maximum Stacking Limit is the total number of men or equivalent that can be in the hex at any one time. The Road Stacking Limit is the maximum number of men or equivalent that can travel via Road Movement through a hex. As a special case, only 4 ships can stack in the same hex."
11-12-2012, 05:27 AM,
Thanks for the responses; I had read something about road stacking limits, but it seems odd that it is implemented so that if I move the units in a stack one at a time, I have no problem, but if I move a stack it causes problems--all this seems to be doing is creating a lot more clicks. Just not very user-friendly.

And these huge maps with thousands of units don't help matters! I am a "grand campaign" kind of guy and generally don't mess around with the smaller scenarios, at least vs the AI (I can't imagine playing all 576 turns of the full Moscow 42 campaign via PBEM).
11-12-2012, 06:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012, 06:01 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
(11-12-2012, 05:27 AM)76mm Wrote: Thanks for the responses; I had read something about road stacking limits, but it seems odd that it is implemented so that if I move the units in a stack one at a time, I have no problem, but if I move a stack it causes problems--all this seems to be doing is creating a lot more clicks. Just not very user-friendly.
No, you are still misunderstanding this rule, you can move units in a stack up to the road stacking limit, what the game engine will not do is if you move try to move too many troops along a road, move some up to the limit for you and leave the rest moving off road, it is up to you to make sure that you don't exceed the limit. Wink

So let us assume the road stacking limit is 250 men (tanks/guns count as 10 men) then you can move a stack of units up to 250 men via T mode along the road, however if you select a stack with 251 (or more) men in it the game engine will move them all via the off road movement rates.