• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Several Moscow 42 Questions
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM,
RE: Couple of Moscow 42 Questions
(11-10-2012, 01:34 PM)Liebchen Wrote: You might also be interested in Jison's wonderful MapsMods, which update all kinds of terrain features. Here's a link to his mods: http://mapmod.hist-sdc.com/

Actually I've been using a variety of various map and unit graphics mods for some time (including Jison's awesome map mods), and really like the resulting set that I've assembled. The only thing lacking in my current graphics set up are blown-bridge graphics--can anyone recommend their favorites?

Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 02:05 PM,
The only other PzC art mods out there are from Philippe.

http://tfe4.wordpress.com/graphics-and-s...ps-titles/
11-10-2012, 02:52 PM,
Yeah, I've got some of his already too. I'd better go back and look through all of them for the best blown bridges.

Also, this forum seems focused on PBEM games, finding opponents, etc. Is it OK to post general game questions here too? I can't find any other PzC forum with a pulse...
11-10-2012, 02:58 PM,
You can post anything PzC or MC related in this forum section.

Feel free to ask away. Smile
11-10-2012, 04:01 PM,
Great thanks. I am reading the manuals, but they are pretty dense and I might not finish them for a while.

First question: I know how to fire artillery via the artillery dialog, and the first thing I do every turn is go through the whole list and fire every freaking battery. Later during the turn, however, I often realize that I should have used artillery to support a particular attack. Is it possible to click on an enemy unit and somehow see which artillery units are available to fire on it?
11-10-2012, 04:31 PM,
I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I bought this game in particular is that I actually live in Moscow, so have been in many of the areas on this map, which is pretty cool. Today I'm actually on my way to Mozhaisk to visit a girl I know. Will take pictures if I run across any cool war monuments.
11-10-2012, 05:10 PM,
(11-10-2012, 04:01 PM)76mm Wrote: Great thanks. I am reading the manuals, but they are pretty dense and I might not finish them for a while.

First question: I know how to fire artillery via the artillery dialog, and the first thing I do every turn is go through the whole list and fire every freaking battery. Later during the turn, however, I often realize that I should have used artillery to support a particular attack. Is it possible to click on an enemy unit and somehow see which artillery units are available to fire on it?

No, there is no way to do that. It would be nice, but with all of the mods and changes that Tiller & Co. have made to the system over the years I believe that this falls in the category of things they won't get around to.

The workaround to use is to focus on your intended targets as you toggle through your artillery menu, and see which batteries show the target as highlighted.

The manual is definitely worth skimming through in its entirety, even if you choose not to dive too deeply into things such as the explanations of the formulas used for combat or supplies or command and control. You should know about things like isolation, command ranges, things like that.

And, yes, feel free to post photos of monuments, etc. People seem to eat that sh*t up here. :rolleyes2:
11-10-2012, 07:30 PM,
Hi 76mm:

Another place to find some art mods would be at Glenn Saunders' site:

http://members.shaw.ca/gcsaunders/downloads.html

The catch is that many of these were created prior to Philippe Divine or Jison created their mods (possibly all of the mods were in fact)... so these may have a limited use unless you like creating your own mix and match set of mod artwork (I do this myself...).

Anyways -the point is that there are other options available.
Bydand
Send this user an email
11-10-2012, 11:32 PM,
@76mm

The game manuals contain a ton of info. The more you read the manuals, the easier your learning curve will be. Don't forget to read the PDF Player's Guide. This guide will be a great aid to you when starting out. Also, when starting out I would suggest playing the small scenarios like the Getting Started scenario, until you find it easier to follow the game system. Starting off by playing a new game series with a 500+ turn scenario and hundreds of units will not help you out. It will lead to alot of frustration and make it very hard on you to enjoy the PzC series.

Another suggestion to help you out would be to download the free PzC Demo Mius'43

http://johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php

It includes a PDF Players Guide that has some very helpful tips and suggestions on how to attack minefields and bunkers.
11-11-2012, 01:12 AM,
To continue on what CR has said the rules are full of hints on how best to play the game, the manual will never say "do this or that" but it will explain how your units can perform at their most effective.

For example there is a detailed explanation of how the command system works with an example of how units who stay within the command range of their parent HQ will receive certain benefits, it also explains the penalty for being outside the command range (known as detached), so it does not take a genius to work out that keeping your units in command is a good tactic to follow, despite these "hints" some players still spread their units all over the map and wonder why they are low ammo/fuel and not recovering from disruption! Wink