• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Several Moscow 42 Questions
12-02-2012, 09:28 AM,
RE: Couple of Moscow 42 Questions
(12-02-2012, 09:06 AM)Liebchen Wrote: I'm just laughing because the title of this thread is "Couple of Questions" and it's now 13 pages long. Big Grin

Yes......

I am trying to decide whether I design good games with the number of questions!!!! Big Grin

At least someone is looking at them and playing them!

David
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 02:12 PM,
RE: Several Moscow 42 Questions
hmmm, you're right, I've changed the thread's title to "Several questions...", is that better?Big Laugh

And obviously despite the title, most of the questions are about the PzC engine, rather than M42 itself, so take heart Strela!
12-04-2012, 08:23 AM,
(12-02-2012, 02:12 PM)76mm Wrote: hmmm, you're right, I've changed the thread's title to "Several questions...", is that better?Big Laugh

And obviously despite the title, most of the questions are about the PzC engine, rather than M42 itself, so take heart Strela!

I am not sure what this thread means; is the campaign FUBAR until the weather pdt is redone?

Thanks
12-04-2012, 09:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM by Strela.)
(12-04-2012, 08:23 AM)Marquo Wrote:
(12-02-2012, 02:12 PM)76mm Wrote: hmmm, you're right, I've changed the thread's title to "Several questions...", is that better?Big Laugh

I am not sure what this thread means; is the campaign FUBAR until the weather pdt is redone?

Thanks

No - not really. Their are many random things in war. That said, I will post a new weather.dat for those that want the guarantee of historical releases today. Very importantly, it will be an optional download, not mandatory.

A revised OPTIONAL weather.dat file is in the post for 'Moscow Files'. Please download if you don't want visibility changes impacting your scenarios. Please note in a PBEM all players MUST use the same weather.dat file.

David
12-08-2012, 03:30 PM,
Minor question/comment: in the Withdrawal dialog box, units do not seem to be shown in order of withdrawal, in fact it is not clear what order they are in. For instance, the first several entries show units withdrawing on Dec 18, Dec 25 (2x), Jan 19, Dec 14, etc. Would be helpful if units were shown with the next unit being withdrawn at the top.
12-08-2012, 04:00 PM,
(12-08-2012, 03:30 PM)76mm Wrote: Minor question/comment: in the Withdrawal dialog box, units do not seem to be shown in order of withdrawal, in fact it is not clear what order they are in. For instance, the first several entries show units withdrawing on Dec 18, Dec 25 (2x), Jan 19, Dec 14, etc. Would be helpful if units were shown with the next unit being withdrawn at the top.

I believe I can fix that. It does not sort by date but rather the order scenario creator removed each unit during scenario creation. I will have a look at it and include it with the first major patch update.

David
12-10-2012, 05:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012, 05:05 AM by 76mm.)
A couple of questions about two alternate rules:
Alternative Direct Fire Resolution
Direct Fire and Indirect Fire of mortar or heavy weapon units is conducted under different rules. Although a target may be selected, under this rule, if the target unit is not a Hard Target, then the resulting fire is dispersed and affects the other units in the target hex, so the more soft units you have stacked in a hex the greater your losses will be, the fact you cannot target an individual soft units could be seen as more realistic.
While this rules says that a target MAY be selected, in my experience you MUST select a target. If the fire actually affects all the units in the hex, why do we need to bother to select a target? Alternative Indirect Fire works in the same way, but we don't have to select a target unit. Am I missing something?

Delayed Disruption
Delayed disruption does not guarantee you will not see the defender disrupt, sometimes you will see the disruption as in standard game play, sometimes it will be hidden. This OR was added because it was deemed to easy for an attacker to know exactly when to launch an assault, with this OR on some guess work will be involved.
This rule says that sometimes I will see disruption as in standard play, but in fact in more than 60 turns of M42, I have yet to see an enemy unit disrupt before my eyes. Again, am I missing something?
12-10-2012, 05:31 AM,
Alternative Direct Fire Resolution

Because this is an optional rule and not default you still need to select a target unit even though for soft targets the fire results are spread amongst all the soft units in the hex. In France 14 where this rule is default you don't need to select a unit.

My best guess is that when you select Alternative Direct Fire Resolution
although the fire results for soft units are different, the default process of firing is retained (i.e you must select a target) and i can understand that could seem odd/confusing.

I have yet to use Delayed Disruption and so i cannot comment on that rule from my experiences.
12-10-2012, 06:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012, 06:35 AM by raizer.)
yes you are missing something. ON your attacking turn you will not see un disrupted enemy disrupt when you shoot at them. But when your opponent shoots at you in his turn, and your units return fire, if you disrupt his units thru return fire or return arty fire, you can see his units become disrupted. So this means you will see it on replays from your opponent. I see it all the time, you just have to watch the replays.
12-10-2012, 06:36 AM,
Re Alternative Direct Fire Resolution, as you pick a specific soft target but all take damage, I believe the rules state the target unit takes the most damage. I am not positive of that, but at the least when playing scenarios with it I believe that is what is happening and hence why a specific target is selected (if I am correct on this point anyway :) ).

On delayed disruptiong, the system will never display disrupted units during the firing unit's turn, as you say 76. Now firing units that draw defensive fire may be a different issue, I don't remember if you can see them disrupt or not, but it seems like you can during the replay, and even if you don't you will see that status at the start of your turn.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]