• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Several Moscow 42 Questions
12-01-2012, 12:06 PM,
RE: Couple of Moscow 42 Questions
I guess you're playing against the AI? If so I think you can go right into the save game file to change the visibility immediately rather than waiting until the next day.

Also, you say it is turn three; I'm not sure, but I think that weather is set only during the night turn, presumably that means that min/max visibility is also set then, so you might have to wait until the night (or you can go into the save game file).
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2012, 07:36 PM,
(12-01-2012, 12:06 PM)76mm Wrote: I guess you're playing against the AI? If so I think you can go right into the save game file to change the visibility immediately rather than waiting until the next day.

Also, you say it is turn three; I'm not sure, but I think that weather is set only during the night turn, presumably that means that min/max visibility is also set then, so you might have to wait until the night (or you can go into the save game file).

Actually I am playing a human opponent by e-mail so that fix will not work.

Visibility can change during the day.
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM,
i know that visibility changes during the day, but I suspect that the weather file, with its min/max viz, is read once a day, and then varies within those parameters. So I think it will reset at the midnight turn.
12-01-2012, 10:21 PM,
(12-01-2012, 07:36 PM)bdtj1815 Wrote:
(12-01-2012, 12:06 PM)76mm Wrote: I guess you're playing against the AI? If so I think you can go right into the save game file to change the visibility immediately rather than waiting until the next day.

Actually I am playing a human opponent by e-mail so that fix will not work.

Visibility can change during the day.

Changing the weather.dat file will have an impact the moment the game determines there should be a change in visibility. This is random each turn. So when that happens it will reduce to within the parameters of the file.

As you are playing against a human I suggest you use gentlemens rules for the units that have released early etc.

I am looking to put out a revised weather.dat file with the next round of updates.

David
12-02-2012, 12:14 AM,
Strela, thanks for the info on when the weather.dat file is read, good to know.

One question: I've (finally) noticed that the Sov AA units can assault, and of course they can move in non-transport mode, unlike AT guns. Were the AA guns that much more mobile that light AT guns, or is there some other reason for this difference?
12-02-2012, 04:42 AM,
this has always been the case in PzC. Not sure as per the reason why, my guess would be the ammount of crew that was allocated to each piece.
12-02-2012, 05:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 05:14 AM by raizer.)
is it a case of self propelled vs towed?
12-02-2012, 06:01 AM,
Frankly I'm not very familiar with Sov AA weapons, but the unit graphic shows what appears to be a four-wheeled towed 37mm AA gun. I can see how 76mm AT guns would be harder to push around, but it seems like 45mm guns wouldn't be much less maneuverable than the AA guns. Not a big deal, just curious...
12-02-2012, 06:02 AM,
The Russian 37mm AA guns are truck mounted. So having the ability to 'assault' means they are moving up into close contact with the enemy as the infantry assault the enemy position. Inside the hex during the assault, the 37mm AA would be giving direct fire support.

Used in this way, a Russian player will find the 37mm AA extinct shortly. The trucks and lack of crew protection will make these units very vulnerable to artillery and small arms fire from the defenders. Leave them next to a German infantry unit without infantry support and a quick defender's turn assault will take them out.

All the larger AA units (85mm for example) are towed guns and cannot assault.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
12-02-2012, 09:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-02-2012, 09:06 AM by Liebchen.)
Smile  RE: Couple of Moscow 42 Questions
I'm just laughing because the title of this thread is "Couple of Questions" and it's now 13 pages long. Big Grin