• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TOC Eastern Front
10-03-2012, 02:58 PM,
TOC Eastern Front

Guys,

Having played nearly all PZ Campaigns Western Front and North Africa games, am looking to purchase and try my hand at an Eastern Front Campaign game.

I prefer large scenarios w/ lots of movement and maneuver rather than simple slug fests, where the aim is solely to crack long defensive lines.

Have been busy eyeing the HPS and JT websites and reading about each game, and am leaning towards Budapest '45 or the JT version of Kharkov 43'.

Does anyone have recomendations?

Cheers.

Spud.

Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2012, 05:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2012, 05:07 PM by burroughs.)
RE: TOC Eastern Front
My pick would go for K'43 despite my having both titles; the fact is that I am currently doing two scenarios off the latter one and not a single one from Budapest '45. The third battle of Kharkov is a climatic campaign with some twists and the fate turning in and out of favour of both sides at certain points. There's a wide range of scenarios, both in terms of the size and the length, so there are tactical and operational flavours all covered and included.The only issue is a well known lack of balance which I am learning the hard way, commanding the Stavka forces in my scenarios, but Mr Nipe in his "The Last Victory in Russia ... " mentions many a time appalling losses in Soviet infantry throughout the entire length of the operations in the theater.

If you prefer manoeuver warfare and mobile operations instead of cracking the entrenched or fortified positions, choose K'43; as far as I know in most of the B'45 scenarios - I once looked them through in order to find something to give it a try - the whole affair comes to facing the steady lines of defenders early on, most of the time.
10-03-2012, 06:41 PM,
Smolensk is still very good when you like manouver warfare
10-04-2012, 06:23 AM,
(10-03-2012, 06:41 PM)Aditia Holdem Wrote: Smolensk is still very good when you like manouver warfare

I concur.

I would also suggest Kharkov '42, Moscow, and Stalingrad, all of which have great open spaces and deep penetrations behind enemy lines.