• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Good reason for strict purchase limits
09-04-2012, 08:03 AM,
My 2 Cents  Good reason for strict purchase limits
Just got my butt handed to me by five panthers, no infantry, no artillery, just five panthers with good fields of fire. The discouraging thing is I am suffering the same fate in another battle where once again my opponent only has panthers. Those five panthers stopped cold an infantry battalion with a troop of armour supporting coupled with 4 air strikes and 3 artillery batteries.

This brings up two points for me:

1. strict rarity must be used to even things out more; and
2. it seems the German players can only play if they have the very best armour, you never see PzIVs.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 08:17 AM,
RE: Good reason for strict purchase limits
Strict rarity or a lot of M10s. Or,if it's a CW game Fireflies. This will spoil the fun out of the game,if you ask me. I sure do miss the 'Combined Arms' setting found in CMx1
Send this user an email
09-04-2012, 08:18 AM,
I have also had similar experiences, where my oppo's had several big cats. That's why I mainly play scenarios nowadays. If I do the qb thing its mainly infantry or at most armoured infantry.

You make some good points.

Fancy a game ?
09-04-2012, 08:46 AM,
I have a story about that.

When the game first came out I played a guy (don't remember who). I was the americans and bought 3 Shermans and a bunch of infantry with some halftracks. He bought a Tiger, 2 Panthers, 2 Stugs and 2 Marders. When I saw this I was very frustrated although I was able to get 95 % of victory location buy rush the village in the middle of the map. (ME game). I was determined to make him dig me out.

But it was raining...... I took one sherman around the right and one around the left. On the right I also sent 2 50 cal halftracks. On the left the Tiger got bogged and blew up from my sherman and a side shot. I got behind a stug and flamed him also. One Panther advanced and got stuck and infantry took care of him latter. One Panther on the right was a bitch but I finally got the crew to bail and killed them one by one. I was down to one sherman and the halftracks. I rushed the halftracks to flank the assumed position of the Marders and was AMAZED at how a 50 cal will shred a Marder from behind.

Great Fun!!!! And he had no infantry to take the town. I wish I had made a movie of it. I felt like the king of the hill. That was back in the days when I used to win games.......

09-04-2012, 09:24 AM,
Seems like a pretty cheap and lame thing to do in my opinion. I would like to bring more PzIV's to the fight but I'm convinced there is something bugged with their spotting, at least I find them too unreliable and sketchy to use. Maybe it's just a whole lot of bad luck but damage is done, they don't last much longer then a Marder III it seems anyway, in a tank duel. Would rather bring a Stug or even an Assault Gun then a PzIV to be honest.

Just picked up the CW module so looking forward to trying out some Marder I's and PzII (Which for some reason aren't available in QB selection, whats up with that?) though I read just a little over 100 PzII were used in the West. I bring Panthers usually, 1 per Company possibly two depending on the terrain and if I'm confident my opponent will bring 76mm's.

Do you mean you had four separate air missions or four sorties from one mission? Either way I'm surprised they didn't help you more... Would tend to agree with you that Medium size battles and under should look at using strict rarity as a standard, unless you know you and your opponent wont abuse it.

Never have ran in to lame tactics like this yet thankfully, but it just affirms the need to clarify any house rules or concerns you have with your opponent from previous fights.
09-04-2012, 08:14 PM,
In CMBN I've experienced similar frustration playing QBs against far superior Panthers. But I do not understand how Strict rarity can even things out when it assigns a Panther G a rarity cost of zero, whereas 76mm armed Shermans are penalised with a significant rarity cost.

I propose a better solution may be a Loose rarity setting whereby 76mm Shermans have a modest rarity cost and then the purchase decisions of both players will be made in the knowledge that the 76mm Shermans are available at a ratio of approximately 3:2 based on their relative point costs.

But I am far from convinced this is the correct way to cope with this major failing of the CMBN QB unit purchase system and would welcome anyone's input to expound a better solution. (Of course in my quick dirty analysis I'm assuming tank friendly operating environment ie. good weather & ground conditions, moderate tree cover etc.)
09-05-2012, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012, 02:23 AM by Weasel.)
(09-04-2012, 09:24 AM)rampantone Wrote: Seems like a pretty cheap and lame thing to do in my opinion. I would like to bring more PzIV's to the fight but I'm convinced there is something bugged with their spotting, at least I find them too unreliable and sketchy to use. Maybe it's just a whole lot of bad luck but damage is done, they don't last much longer then a Marder III it seems anyway, in a tank duel. Would rather bring a Stug or even an Assault Gun then a PzIV to be honest.

Just picked up the CW module so looking forward to trying out some Marder I's and PzII (Which for some reason aren't available in QB selection, whats up with that?) though I read just a little over 100 PzII were used in the West. I bring Panthers usually, 1 per Company possibly two depending on the terrain and if I'm confident my opponent will bring 76mm's.

Do you mean you had four separate air missions or four sorties from one mission? Either way I'm surprised they didn't help you more... Would tend to agree with you that Medium size battles and under should look at using strict rarity as a standard, unless you know you and your opponent wont abuse it.

Never have ran in to lame tactics like this yet thankfully, but it just affirms the need to clarify any house rules or concerns you have with your opponent from previous fights.

4 strike a/c, the pain in the butt thing was even with an air FOO they had an 11 minute delay...GRRR.
(09-04-2012, 08:14 PM)pawter Wrote: In CMBN I've experienced similar frustration playing QBs against far superior Panthers. But I do not understand how Strict rarity can even things out when it assigns a Panther G a rarity cost of zero, whereas 76mm armed Shermans are penalised with a significant rarity cost.

I propose a better solution may be a Loose rarity setting whereby 76mm Shermans have a modest rarity cost and then the purchase decisions of both players will be made in the knowledge that the 76mm Shermans are available at a ratio of approximately 3:2 based on their relative point costs.

But I am far from convinced this is the correct way to cope with this major failing of the CMBN QB unit purchase system and would welcome anyone's input to expound a better solution. (Of course in my quick dirty analysis I'm assuming tank friendly operating environment ie. good weather & ground conditions, moderate tree cover etc.)

HUH, panther has a common rarity? Damn, will have to look at that again when I set up my game with Ramp. Might have to do like in steel panthers, gentleman's agreement.
(09-04-2012, 08:18 AM)daisy Wrote: I have also had similar experiences, where my oppo's had several big cats. That's why I mainly play scenarios nowadays. If I do the qb thing its mainly infantry or at most armoured infantry.

You make some good points.

Fancy a game ?

Sure, I now have two games finished and one seems to be about to be forfeited (although the game did suck, very boring).

I have DB and H2H.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
09-05-2012, 02:54 AM,
Ok, just did a German buy and damn, a panther G is common but a stug or pzIV is rare....BUGGGED. And what is up with no light flak? Let me guess, it will be in the next $35 battleground add on pack.
09-05-2012, 03:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-05-2012, 03:04 AM by DasTiger.)
The best solution would be for a graduated rarity points "penalty" that increases when you buy one big cat. First one is say 100 rarity, the second is 500 and the next is 2000 or something like that. It would help keep it realistic. I don't remember history as seeing a bunch of big cats protecting a squad of regular infantry.

Well, except in the amazing documentary called "Kelly's Heros". They had 3 Tigers defending a village with maybe a platoon of infantry. And that was real!!!!........ No, really. It was!Smile

Woof, woof. That's my other dog imitation.

09-05-2012, 03:21 AM,
What do you mean that Kelly's Heroes wasn't real!....Since When? Helmet Wink Big Laugh

Long Live Kelly's Heroes! Salute2