• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Computer issues...
09-04-2012, 06:29 AM,
Computer issues...
My laptop is not working, so I have the spare hooked up, but no games installed. I'll be installing stuff as I need to, but games may be even slower than usual for a while. The more important thing is that every picture of my son is on the HD of the broken one, and only about half of them were backed up on CD. Any hints on recovering stuff off the old hard drive would be appreciated, thanks!

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 07:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM by Scud.)
RE: Computer issues...
If the data is still on the drive you can try putting the drive in a USB enclosure and accessing it like you would any external drive: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory....Enclosures

If the drive is still in the computer you can try going online from another computer and downloading, then burning a boot CD, of Knoppix: http://knoppix.net/ which is a bootable linux operating system. You boot the bad computer which will see the bad drive as a non-boot drive. If the data is still good, you'll be able to access it, but you'll need and external USB harddrive to move the data to.

If the drive is making a grinding noise, you're most likely out of luck, but the Knoppix attempt first, should at least help you determine if it's worth it to proceed with an external enclosure.

Lastly, you can hook it up inside the computer (if it's a desktop) as a slave to the first drive. It's not hard, google it, or youtube.

Youtube might give you onscreen step-by-steps of all the above.

Good luck,

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
09-05-2012, 07:37 AM,
Thanks! I think I'll try the knoppix to see if everything is still accessible. I may end taking it to a pro, I'm not much for playing with my PC myself anymore.

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier

09-05-2012, 01:06 PM,
Don't blame you. Even if Knoppix doesn't work, it doesn't mean it still can't be salvaged by a pro.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email