• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Top ten things I have learned.
08-22-2012, 01:01 PM,
RE: Top ten things I have learned.
All of you have once again failed to pay homage to the wonder weapon that won the war. The 88mm Death Ray! That's right, the weapon that simply by its mere existence turned the tables and won the war for Germany.

What crap; crap crap crap.... It's crap. Or, probably my all time favorite, the argument that the German's won at Kursk.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....

LR
If you run, you'll only die tired.

One hand on the wheel, and one in the flame,
One foot on the gas, and one in the grave.
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2012, 08:56 PM,
(08-22-2012, 01:01 PM)Larry Reese Wrote: The 88mm Death Ray!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....

LR

Didn't Flash Gordon have one of those :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
08-31-2012, 05:27 AM,
The Oracle of Maine has spoken... So let it be written, so let it be done...

Great insight, but we still play the game...

Jim
08-31-2012, 10:21 AM,
I would mention that the VP values reflect the higher quality of German armored equipment and as such should help to counterbalance their greater effectiveness when calculating victory totals. Not saying it does, but nodding to the designers intent to find a way to balance that effectiveness.

Historically, (please forgive me Larry), even battles such as Kursk could be viewed as local or tactical German victories simply due to the greater number of Russians killed, destroyed, and captured. Especially in light of recent declassified documentation of how many Russian casualties were incurred.

Still, Kursk cost the Wermacht the strategic initiative for the remainder of the war, and they never went on the offensive again.
A strategic disaster.

When you consider their delay of Kursk, knowing full well the depth of defenses the Russians were constructing for several months while they built up and delivered Panthers and massed Tigers to the battle, it would seem the Germans themselves were just as convinced as the CS designers that quality would tell...lol...

In the end though the Wermacht was in no position to replace those losses, the Red Army was.

I think it's difficult to capture this in a game scale like the CS series, and as stated above, it does make for more enjoyable and playable scenarios.

Hey...my two centz worth only...

Regards,

Dan
09-01-2012, 09:44 PM,
(08-31-2012, 10:21 AM)Dan Caviness Wrote: I would mention that the VP values reflect the higher quality of German armored equipment and as such should help to counterbalance their greater effectiveness when calculating victory totals.

Dan

As the fan yelled at me when I called a strike on the outside corner.........."That's not even close Blue".....the vps for German stuff are set way too low for almost every unit..esp.............here it comes.............HALFTRACKS :-)

VE
"The secret to success is not just doing the things you enjoy but rather enjoying everything that you do."
09-09-2012, 09:58 PM,
Mr. Earl:

I'm reminded of Guderian's telling the German High Command to stuff their Panthers, Tigers, etc., and just "give me more PZ IV's"....one German who felt quantity would outperform quality...
My boy...

German halftracks become even more all powerful of course since we seem to play a lot more East Front games then West Front...where the Russians of course have no halftracks at all to speak of.

In West Front...the Allied tracks have their day...and I'll take a Quad 50 AA Halftrack in any scenario...stuff the AA attacks...and enjoy it as a direct fire weapon all day long...lol...

Of course...they do go away when used in such fashion...ouch!

Regards,

Dan
09-09-2012, 10:19 PM,
Hey Larry:

How about the German Pak 44 128mm AT variant?

The über death ray?

Whip

Regards,

Dan
09-10-2012, 05:35 AM,
(09-09-2012, 10:19 PM)Dan Caviness Wrote: Hey Larry:

How about the German Pak 44 128mm AT variant?

The über death ray?

Whip

Regards,

Dan

Just a bigger orifice from which issueth the same excrement...

LR

09-12-2012, 04:09 PM,
(08-21-2012, 06:56 PM)Herr Straßen Läufer Wrote: ROTFLMAO

And, players think they should drive up the side of mountains to get that one little peek at the enemy. Helmet Smile

Cheers6

HSL

Well now, Ed, one man's hill is another man's mountain. But if the scenario designer wants to model slopes that vehicles can't drive up, or forests thick enough to be impassable, he can very well do it; if he doesn't, then the terrain is negotiable, simple as that. I've driven Volkswagens up and down forested slopes, much less 4x4s or halftracks. I seem to recall a conversation not too long ago about armed halftracks being combat units, and except for certain outrages like unaccompanied assaults, being able to act like it. Observing for their supported infantry is well within my definition of their role.Peace Pipe
09-13-2012, 12:35 AM,
You guys can't wait for my newest scenario. All half-tracks (including Allied and Axis Bulgarian ones, and even a few Swiss thrown in for good measure), anti-tank rifle platoons, and 16 inch off shore naval artillery. And lots of hills to drive up too.

LR