• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Team Game--Tarawa (Proud and Few)
08-08-2012, 09:03 AM,
RE: New Team Game--Tarawa (Proud and Few)
I love the Honeymooners! I remember that episode, that one's a classic for sure!

"One of these days... One of these days... POW! Right in the kisser! To the moon, Alice!"
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 11:00 AM by Marc Bellizzi.)
HOUSE RULES

Normally I dislike house rules but due to game mechanics issues, I had to make a few.

1. - No landing craft may cross the reef into shallow water hexes. For some reason the LCVP's can cross into the shallow area; due to a 'neap tide' on 20 Nov 1943, the water over the reef was less than 3 feet deep; the LCVP required a minimum of 4 feet draught. In some areas, the reef was totally exposed (represented by a string of 'sand' hexes away from the island). The USMC player must unload his LCVPs and LCMs at the reef (or onto the lone paved hex at the end of the pier). This rule does not pertain to the LVT (amtrac) vehicles.

2. - On turn 1 the USMC player has 4 'available' at-start 5-inch naval gunfire missions; each fire mission has 10 rounds. These are to fire SMOKE ONLY. If they are not used, they are lost (the 'call' time on them is set to 101 turns minimum). Turn 1 is the only turn the USMC player has any fire restriction; after turn 1 he may fire his other support missions however he wishes (there are 160 smoke rounds total, minus the 40 used on turn 1 still leaves a heck of a lot of smoke). Historically the NGF support was called off 20 minutes too early, allowing the dazed Japanese survivors to start to re-occupy their defenses with deadly results.

3. - To help facilitate the SMOKE SCREEN for turn 1, an assault boat with 2 NGF spotters is available in the upper right map area to call for fire; this group is removed on turn 2 and the USMC player then must rely on the spotters and leaders in his landing force.

4. - Once the USMC player unloads his LCMs and LCVPs he should move them back to the north map-edge and then 'remove them from play'. Historically there was a shortage of landing craft and they were needed to ferry additional waves to the reef. Additionally if they are just left along the reef the Japanese player can target & eventually destroy the landing craft causing the VPs to skew too much to the Japanese side. The mass of troops wading in to the shore block the LCVPs from using their 2x machine guns for most of the scenario, so there really is no benefit to leaving them on map. Please note that I am not requiring the landing craft to dump everyone out at once; however once a landing craft is empty, the US side should move them to the map edge and out of the game.

08-08-2012, 11:27 AM,
Oh crap (can I say that here?)! Oz is looking forward to playing me again. You would have thought he had killed my cyber warriors more than enough times already.

Jeff
08-09-2012, 05:06 AM,
We need either one of the US players to be the overall USMC commander or a 4th person to fill the role; the purpose being that this person will be the decision maker on who gets what support fires/air strikes as well as to direct the battle in general.

The role isn't so much a hands on role, but more of an effort to provide some sort of unity of command and be the final say on support fires, etc.
08-09-2012, 05:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 07:38 AM by Compass Rose.)
Better put TheBigRedOne on alert! Gunny
08-09-2012, 07:35 AM,
1 vote for Jeff as the US leader.

[Image: 41E1423AB.jpg]
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
08-09-2012, 07:58 AM,
[Image: 2716acfd7bVote%20for%20Pedro.jpg]
[Image: 769ac8dcccpedro.jpg]
08-11-2012, 03:34 AM,
(08-07-2012, 03:28 PM)jomni Wrote: Is this still open? I'm willing to buy Proud and the Few to participate in this.

jomni,

after this historical version of Tarawa is done, I was thinking of offering up a version where the USMC gets to pick which beaches to land on, instead of the historical landings.

If you're still interested - and there is interest in something like that - I'll make a note and save you a spot.
08-11-2012, 09:35 AM,
Sure. Just let me know.
Send this user an email
08-15-2012, 09:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM by Dog829.)
I got better health wise just for this. (small untruth) if there is room I would love to play.
D829
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it.