• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Team Game--Tarawa (Proud and Few)
08-08-2012, 02:06 AM,
RE: New Team Game--Tarawa (Proud and Few)
(08-08-2012, 01:20 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Let's recap thus far:

Oz and Rabbit wish to man the Japanese defenses.

Chad's a maybe
Ritchie
Burroughs
Jeff

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to play in this one.

I would however, love to watch it play out! Popcorn 2

Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2012, 02:08 AM,
Everyone,

When I playtested this (I playtested it over 20 times btw), I experimented with all optional rules, so really it is up to you guys to decide.
I would recommend not to use the Quality Loss Modifier rule, because both sides were evenly matched as far as quality, in real life; the problem is that at start the Japanese player's forces start with several units disrupted or worse to reflect shell shock, so by virtue of this, their morale is lower & with this rule they will suffer even more. Then as the USMC guys take casualties, their morale suffers and thus they start to play even worse. We all know that these two foes were fairly evenly skilled when it came to quality. By comparison, the Pacific fights were not at all similar to the Arab/Israeli wars or early East Front years where there was a huge disparity in abilities between the combatants. Also, keep in mind that neither side considered surrender an option, so that even mediocre soldiers knew that 'giving it their all or die trying' was the only choice.

The single biggest rule that really swings the game pro-Japanese is the Alt Fire Density rule, because a prudent Japanese player or players will shoot leaders. While realistic (always shoot the guy waving his arms a-lot, or the guy with the radio handset next to the radio-man), where the USMC excelled was in junior level (i.e. Lance Corporals & Sergeant E-5's) being able to take over squads & platoons. Without any 'battlefield promotion' system in the engine where leaders & heros randomly appear, replicating this requires some Corporals to be added either with the landing teams or to show up as reinforements.
So here is what I will do; depending on which way you guys decide on Alt Fire Density, I'll edit the scenario to reflect this - the Corporals are already in the OOB, but I left them out of the game since I myself had decided I'd rather play it with alt density off. If you guys decide to play with it on, I'll add some into the scenario (just a handful, not a huge amount).
There are arguments for and against each of the other Optional Rules, so it's really whatever you guys decide - I am not saying not to play with alt fire density as I've discussed above, I'm just explaining the net result of using it. If we get two team games going, it might be worth using it in one and not in the other.
Just let me know what you decide, and I'll adjust the scenario(s).

I'll address the 'house rules' in another post
08-08-2012, 04:07 AM,
(08-08-2012, 02:06 AM)Compass Rose Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 01:20 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Let's recap thus far:

Oz and Rabbit wish to man the Japanese defenses.

Chad's a maybe
Ritchie
Burroughs
Jeff

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to play in this one.

I would however, love to watch it play out! Popcorn 2

[Image: explanation-i-demand-one.png]

"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
08-08-2012, 05:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 05:47 AM by Ozgur Budak.)
Guys, why dont we let Marc decide the optionals? I believe scenario designer's insight would be the most accurate here. I am looking forward forthe opportunity to play against Jeff. Its been a long time.
08-08-2012, 06:13 AM,
I think this has the chance to have an epic AAR if someone from both sides would be willing to capture their thoughts as the game progresses.

With Chad out, we've got enough to consider getting started.

US: Jeff, burroughs and Richie
Japanese: Oz and Rabbit.

Is everyone in?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
08-08-2012, 06:43 AM,
(08-08-2012, 06:13 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: I think this has the chance to have an epic AAR if someone from both sides would be willing to capture their thoughts as the game progresses.

With Chad out, we've got enough to consider getting started.

US: Jeff, burroughs and Richie
Japanese: Oz and Rabbit.

Is everyone in?

Yes, siree.

08-08-2012, 07:39 AM,
Man, I just ordered 3 more SB titles, and guess what, P&F isn't one of them! Cry Talk about poor timing, besides, my wife will strangle me if I ask to order another SB title so soon. Whip

Any chance of a second team game in the near future?
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
08-08-2012, 07:42 AM,
Just tell her that you purchased P&F for her, and if she doesn't want it, you'll gladly take it! Jester
08-08-2012, 08:08 AM,
The last time I did something like that was when I bought her (and I) a Laser Disc Player for Christmas one year. Big Laugh That went over like a like a pregnant broad jumper! Yikes2 I definitely don't want to incur the wrath of "She Who Must Be Obeyed", AGAIN!
"You know, fightin' in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fightin' in a basement!" - LT Aldo Raine
08-08-2012, 08:19 AM,
It's just like Ralph (from the Honeymooners) buying Alice a bowling ball as a gift, knowing full well that she won't use it, since she doesn't bowl! LOL