• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

"In the shadow of the hill" round 2
10-09-2012, 05:20 AM,
RE: "In the shadow of the hill" round 2
spankythamunky has withdrawn from the game due to technical problems.

So, our game has ended without any result.
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2012, 05:14 AM,
game was started ages ago
thephlapbadhu - herroberst
opponent seems to have gone quiet for weeks on me
10-21-2012, 05:27 AM,
The epic round 2 clash between Sabot6 (Allies) and Baddawg (Axis) has reached its bloody conclusion, with the Allies managing to eke out a British Army Total Victory of 900--122 in the waning minutes of the game.

While the score may seem a bit lopsided at first blush, this was no sure thing and the 5th Dorsets were in severe trouble for much of the game, and had been stopped cold time and time again by the fanatical SS storm troopers ably led by Baddawg. Every attempt to outflank or out-maneuver the stubborn and well dug-in Germans met with quick and total failure: this was my first real battle where I led Commonwealth forces, and I ultimately realized that fire superiority and fire suppression against 2--3 MG34's & MG42's per squad could not be achieved without close tank support, even when entire platoons and every bren gun at my disposal were employed. The morale of the SS troopers was just too high, and they would consistently fight to the last man (unfortunately this took too much time, too much ammunition and too many Dorsets to be a sustainable strategy).

It was only after the Dorsets massed their considerable advantage in manpower, lowered their collective heads and started to grind their way forward under close artillery and tank support, was any headway finally made. The price was high, with almost 100 Dorsets left on the field of battle and another 91 WIA. I'm expecting to be relieved of command at any moment given my cavalier disregard for the lives of my troops, but we did manage to capture our final objective with just minutes remaining....

I'd like to thank Baddawg for an outstanding game, and one where I painfully learned multiple lessons which I hope to have an opportunity to apply in future matches. I also would like to thank Raz for setting up and running this tournament (my first), and I'm looking forward--though with some degree of trepidation--to the next round, where I'll be in command of the Axis forces.
10-21-2012, 07:47 AM,
Congratulations to Sabot6 on a great game. He kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole game with his flanking and probing manoeuvres.

I tried my best to install an elastic in depth defence that had supporting fire from multiple levels. And for the most part it worked. Superior artillery was in effect my demise as my defensive area became smaller
the Brits were able to concentrate artillery fire on my defensive positions with total devastation. The majority of my casualties were from the constant barrage of artillery. My devious plans for ambushing his armour with antitank troops were squashed like a bug under a boot.Big Grin

Sabot6 played this game very well as he condensed my defence and then pored on hell from above.

To whomever has the privilege of playing against him in the next round, know that you have a passionate and intelligent opponent.

I look forward to playing him again in any PBEM.

Cheers

Tim
11-01-2012, 12:15 AM,
Though I bump this back to the front....
11-01-2012, 06:36 AM,
I think I am going to bow out of this. My opponent is only sending around a file a week if that. Unless you can get a hold of him to find out his situation. Maybe he is tied up with RL issues and we need to call it quits.
11-01-2012, 12:05 PM,
WBRP (CW) vs A Canadian Cat (German) has finished
British Major Victory after mutual Ceasefire with 20' remaining.
End Stat = BRITISH/GERMAN
Ground = 400/0
Targets = 177/85
Total = 577/85

Men OK = 195/10
KIA = 48/93
WIA = 79/58
MIA = 0/0
Tanks Lost = 1/0
Armored Vehicles Lost = 1/0
Other Vehicles Lost = 0/6

I suspect I did to my opponent what was done to me in the first round. Seemingly inexhaustable CW artillery, Churchills almost always out of PSK range and closely supported by infantry. By my arithmetic, the CW artillery acounted for 52 casualties, with infantry accounting for 71 and the Churchills inflicting the remaining 35.
11-03-2012, 04:03 AM,
(11-01-2012, 12:05 PM)WBRP Wrote: <snip>I suspect I did to my opponent what was done to me in the first round. Seemingly inexhaustable CW artillery, Churchills almost always out of PSK range and closely supported by infantry.

Yep, that about sums it up. Well played. His damn tanks were always just out of reach. On top of that my bold move of attempting to flank his main attack totally failed because he had a strong force there that was maneuvering even wider than my attack force. There was a pretty good fire fight on that flank but in the end I was out gunned even there.

Well done. I hope I get to be the allies next time :-)
11-12-2012, 10:23 PM,
(11-01-2012, 06:36 AM)eniced73 Wrote: I think I am going to bow out of this. My opponent is only sending around a file a week if that. Unless you can get a hold of him to find out his situation. Maybe he is tied up with RL issues and we need to call it quits.

I do not know about RL issues but Odin has being having problems with his laptop.

11-13-2012, 04:35 AM,
I am getting files sporadically. Around one every 4 to 5 days. We are milling through it.