• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TAOW3 supply questions
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM,
TAOW3 supply questions
What do the numbers mean for the supply value of each hex? I can guess higher number is higher supply but what does a 14 mean versus a 36?

What do the different colors mean for the supply values?

How do you set up a supply chain?
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2012, 10:24 AM,
RE: TAOW3 supply questions
Just so it's recorded in the forum and shows up in searches in future, there's an excellent article here: https://www.theblitz.club/articles/Artic...show&id=60

And the response to this specific Q is outlined in the comments following the article.

07-25-2012, 05:20 PM,
I have read that article and I found it very informative.

However, like I said, I cannot find a definition of how the supply numbers apply to resupply of a unit. For example, If I have a unit on a 36 hex, does that mean it has a 36 percent chance of resupply or does the number mean something else? Or, if I have a unit in need of supply on a 36 hex along with it's HQ unit what does that number mean? Or does it change the number? Do the numbers only apply to HQ units and normal resupply for the rest of the formation? If I have a supply unit, how do I position it for maximum supply? How does a supply unit effect the supply number or does it?

I get the basics, HQ supply units best if not moving and near, but I wonder exactly how to do this the best way.
07-26-2012, 07:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-27-2012, 01:49 AM by Freyr Oakenshield.)
It roughly works this way--
Let's assume you have a unit standing in a 36 hex, then:

(1) if your formation supply efficiency is 100%, you haven't moved, there's a cooperative HQ next to it or on it - you get 36

(2) if your formation supply efficiency is 100%, you haven't moved, but there isn't a cooperative HQ - you get approx 36x(2/3)= 24

(3) if your formation supply efficiency is 100%, you have moved, and there isn't a cooperative HQ - you get approx 36x(2/3)x(2/3)=16

Of course, this is so if your formation supply efficiency is 100%. In most scenarios, however, it's lower--usually 50-90%, so if it's e.g. 80, then, going back to the examples above you would get:

(1) 36x80%=28.8
(2) 24x80%=19.2
(3) 16x80%=12.8

To sum up, you get what's in the hex, but:
- you lose 2/3 if your unit moved in the previous turn,
- you lose extra 2/3 if there is no cooperative hq next to your unit or in the same hex, and
- you have to extra multiply it by the unit's formation supply efficiency (to check your unit's formation supply efficiency, put a cursor on the unit and press F, then look for characteristics-->supply).

Some examples:

1. Formation supply efficiency=60, your unit moved in the previous turn, there is a cooperative hq, the hex says 28

real supply (approximately) = 28x(2/3)x60% = 11.1 (probably will be rounded somehow)

2. Formation supply efficiency=40, your unit moved in the previous turn, there is no cooperative hq, the hex says 14

real supply (approximately) = 14x(2/3)x(2/3)x40% = 2.4 (probably will be rounded somehow)

3. Formation supply efficiency=50, your unit did not move in the previous turn, there is a cooperative hq, the hex says 32

real supply (approximately) = 32x50%=16

As you can see, you often get only a small fraction of what the hex says. A lot depends on your formation supply efficiency.

Hope this helps.
See ya
07-31-2012, 06:33 PM,
Marinus

Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Now I only need to be able to plan enough to take advanage of this info.

Another question, the actual number you get after the formula. Say it is 24, do I get a 24 point raise in the supply efficiency of that unit? So in effect, it will resupply the next turn at a higher rate? That does not make sense to me. What does 24 give me?

So, I am right in guessing that a supply unit is like the marks on the edge of the map? Do supply units effect the formula you just gave me?

Flip
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013, 06:11 AM by Freyr Oakenshield.)
(07-31-2012, 06:33 PM)flip0009 Wrote: Another question, the actual number you get after the formula. Say it is 24, do I get a 24 point raise in the supply efficiency of that unit? So in effect, it will resupply the next turn at a higher rate? That does not make sense to me. What does 24 give me?

So, I am right in guessing that a supply unit is like the marks on the edge of the map? Do supply units effect the formula you just gave me?

Flip

1. The number that you finally get after all these arduous calculations (e.g. 24) increases the level of supply of a unit (or a number of units) that is (are) standing in a given hex. Formation supply efficiency is NOT affected--it's fixed and won't change throughout your game.

When you put your cursor over a unit and press U, you will get a pop-up info box with the unit's three characteristics: proficiency (this proficiency has nothing to do with supply--it's the general quality of the unit), readiness, and supply. It's this supply level that will increase.

2. Technically speaking, the marks on the edge of the maps (little circles) are not supply units, but supply points (or sources), distributing supply to all your units on the map. They give you supply, that is, if your enemy overruns the hexes with these marks, you won't have any supply.

However, there are also special supply units in some scenarios. They are like other units--they are just ordinary counters that you can move on the map. They give you the following (quote from the manual):

"[they increase] the Supply Level in each supplied location that can trace a path no longer than the Supply Radius to
the Supply unit. Additionally, Supply units multiply supply distribution to adjacent Cooperative units by 1.5. There is no effect on
Unsupplied locations."

1) They increase the Supply Level in each supplied location--this means that the number that you calculated at the beginning (e.g. 24) will be increased. But this will only happen within the supply radius of such a supply unit--you have to inspect the supply unit's characteristics (press "U") and check how many hexes the supply radius is.

2) Supply units multiply supply distribution to adjacent Cooperative units by 1.5--this means that they act a bit like cooperative HQs, but they are more effective because of this 1.5 increase.

But you only get these guys in a few scenarios.

f
08-04-2012, 05:08 PM,
Martinus

Thank you again. I actually am starting to feel like I can manage some aspects of the infrastructure of my forces and targeting my attacks at the infrastructure of the enemy.