• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

VANILLA EAST FRONT?
07-04-2012, 07:51 PM,
VANILLA EAST FRONT?
I saw a post not long back that described EF as Published to be something other then hard core or real ie vanilla. A game produced by total professionals with tons of experiance in game desighn from scratch. "Hey lets make a platoon based armored battle that makes a player have real fear for his enemy or himself in 20 turns or so". EF vanilla does just that! This is not a slight at the mod comunity that mods what is already a fantastic "teeth grinding" game.
The biggest insult to human intelligence which is considerable in my opinion. Is the notion that the universe made itself. Has anyone ever see a star form? Come on people. what will they tell us now? The earth is flat?
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2012, 08:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012, 09:25 PM by Crossroads.)
RE: VANILLA EAST FRONT?
(07-04-2012, 07:51 PM)schnurbart Wrote: I saw a post not long back that described EF as Published to be something other then hard core or real ie vanilla.

I have atleast used the term 'vanilla' in my posts, but not as you described (real vs vanilla). Then again, I am not a native in English so I might have and often do miss how words are intepreted or what other meanings they might have.

My definition for 'vanilla' simply refers to original, un-touched version. No bias attached whatsoever. As with ice cream: you can't go wrong when choosing vanilla Helmet Smile

Allrightie, had a look at the dictionary, and I think I now understand what you meant:

Slang Dictionary

vanilla definition

plain; dull. (See also beige.) : The entire production was sort of vanilla, but it was okay.

Computing Dictionary

vanilla definition

1. (Default flavour of ice cream in the US) Ordinary flavour, standard. When used of food, very often does not mean that the food is flavoured with vanilla extract! For example, "vanilla wonton soup" means ordinary wonton soup, as opposed to hot-and-sour wonton soup. Applied to hardware and software, as in "Vanilla Version 7 Unix can't run on a vanilla PDP 11/34." Also used to orthogonalise chip nomenclature; for instance, a 74V00 means what TI calls a 7400, as distinct from a 74LS00, etc. This word differs from canonical in that the latter means "default", whereas vanilla simply means "ordinary". For example, when hackers go to a chinese restaurant, hot-and-sour wonton soup is the canonical wonton soup to get (because that is what most of them usually order) even though it isn't the vanilla wonton soup.

--

(emphasis added by me)

There it is, with wonton soup and everything!

Having worked in ICT industry the vanilla I was familiar with simply meant the default or standard version you get when you buy something. That's how I used it in the context of my posts.

I was not aware it can mean dull as well.

English language: JesterCrazy Helmet Wink
Visit us at CSLegion.com
07-04-2012, 09:34 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012, 09:49 PM by schnurbart.)
RE: VANILLA EAST FRONT?
(07-04-2012, 08:59 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: [quote='schnurbart' pid='363469' dateline='1341395492']
I saw a post not long back that described EF as Published to be something other then hard core or real ie vanilla.

I have atleast used the term 'vanilla' in my posts, but not as you described (real vs vanilla). Then again, I am not a native in English so I might have and often do miss how words are intepreted or what other meanings they might have.

My definition for 'vanilla' simply refers to original, un-touched version. No bias attached whatsoever. As with ice cream: you can't go wrong when choosing vanilla Helmet Smile

Vanilla simply means bland to me. As would any ice cream flavor bother me for a describtion of EF. Vanilla with strawberry ripples owns vanilla. EF can never get those ripples in its current engine with so many cult players with different opinions on how it should be. Earlmans campaign games take the game to another level and add a true military feal to a simple system. Generals of great caliber played similar things with real stakes for training.

now adding strawberry ripples would certainly spice it up..hmmm no stacking for cycles and no point cost for loss on the boats to boot...but oh well. scenario desighners can mitigate the flaw.
The biggest insult to human intelligence which is considerable in my opinion. Is the notion that the universe made itself. Has anyone ever see a star form? Come on people. what will they tell us now? The earth is flat?