• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Objective Lipel 1941 - Newest H2H Approved Scenario!
06-20-2012, 09:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-20-2012, 10:00 PM by Kool Kat.)
RE: Objective Lipel 1941 - Newest H2H Approved Scenario!
Huib: Smoke7

Why don't you work with Eric, if he is willing, to explore whether the map / terrain should be altered to reflect various elevations?

Perhaps you could provide useful and constructive feedback on potentially improving the scenario?

Hopefully you would be willing to help out a fellow scenario designer, since as you stated earlier... "there are very few who have helped others more in their designing efforts than me."

Thanks in advance! :)

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-2012, 02:49 AM,
(06-20-2012, 09:41 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: Huib: Smoke7

Why don't you work with Eric, if he is willing, to explore whether the map / terrain should be altered to reflect various elevations?

Perhaps you could provide useful and constructive feedback on potentially improving the scenario?

Hopefully you would be willing to help out a fellow scenario designer, since as you stated earlier... "there are very few who have helped others more in their designing efforts than me."

Thanks in advance! :)

I think Terry said it best: We looked at the satilite imagine & found it flat. My basis for the scenario was COL Glantz's book, "Barbarossa Derailed" but that book suffers from COL Glantz's only flaw: very hard to read maps. He will be coming out with a new Smolensk battle atlas soon & if the maps are better & show some terrain differences, I will certainly go back & reflect them on the Lipel' map. Eric
06-21-2012, 03:09 AM,
Like I said well done. And you did your homework as well! Impresive!
06-21-2012, 03:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 03:54 AM by Kool Kat.)
(06-21-2012, 02:49 AM)Boisforas Wrote: I think Terry said it best: We looked at the satellite imagine & found it flat. My basis for the scenario was COL Glantz's book, "Barbarossa Derailed" but that book suffers from COL Glantz's only flaw: very hard to read maps. He will be coming out with a new Smolensk battle atlas soon & if the maps are better & show some terrain differences, I will certainly go back & reflect them on the Lipel' map. Eric

Eric: Smoke7

I never doubted that you didn't do the research necessary for "Objective Lipel 1941" !!! Big Grin

Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-21-2012, 04:11 AM,
I am actually working on s scenario design and faced the same problem mentioned by Eric. Namely, maps in historical sources I found as a part of research where very poor for terrain info. Look at the satellite picture of the area suggested relatively flat steppe as you would expect in the area near Stalingrad (working on scenario for operation Winter Storm). So nearing to the same conclusion as Eric during my work on the map I found this tutorial at Blitz about using google maps to create accurate maps (NB authored by no one else than Huib). I followed it guidance and man! My map came to life! From what I nearly assumed as a flat like pancake steppe I realized my battle area had differences of 100m between min and max elevation.

I have no idea but based on the above experience I believe Huib know his bit on maps.

For any scenario designer I strongly recommend this tutorial as very useful. I nearly left my map flat and only realized how wrong I was after I used Huib tutorial!

06-21-2012, 04:31 AM,
(06-21-2012, 04:11 AM)PawelM Wrote: ...I found this tutorial at Blitz about using google maps to create accurate maps...

Can you supply the URL?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
06-21-2012, 04:33 AM,
(06-20-2012, 09:05 PM)Huib Versloot Wrote: And no I'm not rude, criticism is normal, at least where I come from.

And, here, I thought you were Dutch? Hang3

Pickles

HSL

06-21-2012, 04:39 AM,
(06-21-2012, 04:31 AM)Scud Wrote:
(06-21-2012, 04:11 AM)PawelM Wrote: ...I found this tutorial at Blitz about using google maps to create accurate maps...

Can you supply the URL?

Dave

I really recommend it. Really useful stuff and credit to Huib IMHO.

https://www.theblitz.club/articles/Artic...show&id=85

06-21-2012, 04:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM by Crossroads.)
(06-21-2012, 04:31 AM)Scud Wrote:

Can you supply the URL?

Dave

They are in the Articles section here.

Edit: to be precise: https://www.theblitz.club/articles/Artic...ies/cid=12

"Campaign Series-How to make accurate CS maps using Google Earth"

Well worth reading is the "Making a historical scenario for JTCS" as well, as it displays how Google Earth overlays work in practice.

Edit 2: File for the "Campaign Series-How to make accurate CS maps with a graphics software program" seems to be missing. Huib, can you upload it again?
Visit us at CSLegion.com
06-22-2012, 06:59 PM,
(06-21-2012, 04:41 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: Edit 2: File for the "Campaign Series-How to make accurate CS maps with a graphics software program" seems to be missing. Huib, can you upload it again?

I can't fix the link myself. I've resent the article to Raz and others several times in the past. I didn't know it was still not fixed.

Huib